Jason to perform on stage ...

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, kjshd05, Marie, Gillian, Chari910, catloveyes, Helen8

Gillian
Site Admin

Jason to perform on stage ...

Post by Gillian » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:37 pm

Kay of the Fanzone reports that Jason will be appearing in Harold Pinter's play "The Dumb Waiter" at the Trafalgar Studios starting February 2nd. Jason will star alongside rubberfaced Lee Evans in this darkly comic tale of two killers awaiting their next assignment.

From the Trafalgar Studios website ...

In an airless basement room, two killers await confirmation of the identity of their next ‘hit’. They’re a team from way back. One is strong and silent, the other a talkative chatterer. They’re Laurel and Hardy with silencers, and the tension mounts as the comedy unfolds.

Today something has disturbed Gus and Ben’s normally efficient routine. They wait for their handler to get in touch with their orders, but the chatterer can’t erase the memory of their last job and the silent one is definitely on edge. Unseen forces bear down on Gus and Ben in their precarious and darkly funny world. Meanwhile, increasingly bizarre orders keep arriving via a serving hatch…

The Dumb Waiter is Nobel Prize-winner Harold Pinter’s classic comedy of menace and stars Lee Evans (The Producers, Endgame, Mousehunt, Funny Bones) and Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy in Harry Potter, The State Within, Black Hawk Down). This is a major new West End production for the play’s 50th anniversary year.

Director Harry Burton has performed in many Pinter productions. He is the director of a new Channel Four television film Pinter in Person, about Pinter’s love of creative collaboration. For the Royal Court Theatre’s 50th anniversary season he directed readings of Pinter’s The Room and The Dumb Waiter to great acclaim.

Box office 0870 060 6632

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:18 pm

Sounds like Pinter's criminalistic take on Waiting for Godot.

Nice that he'll be trodding the boards again. Once again, we'll live vicariously through our Brit counterparts.

Malfoy Grandma

On Stage!

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:59 am

:cool: Very good news! It is too bad we cannot see this live theatre production. A real actor (like Jason seems to be) always yearns for the solidity of the real live stage work. The trouble is, it rarely pays much, and the audiences are limited. I would give an American nickel to see that production. Envy is my only possible reaction, and if I lived anywhere on thatisland, I would hitchhike to get there! GREAT NEWS!

Malfoy Grandma

Me Hitchhiking!

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:02 am

:oops: I forgot to mention that I have neuropathy and rarely walk anywhere without a four-footed cane, so wouldn't I be a great advertisement for the Pinter Play, stumbling along a British highway with my cane?

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:18 am

I forgot to mention that I have neuropathy and rarely walk anywhere without a four-footed cane, so wouldn't I be a great advertisement for the Pinter Play, stumbling along a British highway with my cane?
Well why the hell not!!! If it keeps ya going, I say paint it candy-striped and fly a skull-and-crossbones from the top!!!
Actually I know nothing about Pinter...except I think I saw one of his pieces on TV once and didn't like it... :???:
I'm appallingly ignernt about most things theatrical. Sad really, especially when you consider how much great theatre there is around this joint. We've got quite a good community theatre in my town as well, for which I've occasionally volunteered to assist with costuming... We did go see a cracking, somewhat revised version of Farquhar's Beaux' Stratagem this month, but it was hardly avant-garde mind-stretching stuff.

Malfoy Grandma

Ignerant?

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:02 pm

I do not believe you! You know plenty! Pinter is one of those obscurantists! That is, he thinks it is better if you and I can't get it! I played Vladimir in an all-woman version of Waiting for Godot! which is just about as obscure as you can get! But a character onstage is still a human trying to understand humans! And Pinter is a really whiz bang
British all star! "Menace" is the word to remember when you see or read Pinter. And I think he had something to say about do we really remember the past, or something like that. This is junk from trying to pass the orals of the masters program in theatre, a very strange hobby for an old lady, but I loved it! At any rate, Jason will really be good!

Malfoy Grandma

Understanding Pinter

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:22 pm

:?: If anyone wants to understand the playwright Harold Pinter, I think you ought to go to the Pinter website, and find a way to get the film and sound of his speech to the Nobel Prize committee. He won the Prize in 2005, and that 46 minute speech is really a knock-down honest explanation of his beliefs as an artist. Boy! He sure did not pull punches about calling the US to task for the Iraq war among other things. I knew about what we had done in Central and South America, but had put it away because of the ugliness of our activities. You will notice I do not say "they" are doing it. This is our country and WE are going it, no matter what we believe. Well, sorry! But that's Pinter, too!

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:02 pm

The U.S.--and its people--have a lot to answer for about Iraq.
Thanks for the Pinter tip--Ima have to go check that out!

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:18 am

Not much new in this one, but it's another link:
http://www.whatsonstage.com/dl/page.php ... 1167744586

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:26 pm

Yet another link from Playbill . . .

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/104626.html

And from The Independent . . .

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/thea ... 124250.ece

Helen

Malfoy Grandma

Thanks for those links!

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:02 am

:D Both of those links show us just how highly Jason is rated as a stage actor in British theatre circles! Very glad you found and put them up for us fans. He is flying higher circles than just the movies when they cast him for that memorializing performance for the greatest living theatre writer in Europe, and maybe everywhere. If only we could all go there to see him live onstage and give him the standing ovations we know he will earn.

ibelong2me

Post by ibelong2me » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:41 pm

I shall be in london for a few days next feb...am trying to persuade a friend to go see it with me, her reply was 'maybe'. argh!

If anyone here is around on the 9th (friday) let me know!

Still some time to work on her I guess...

Malfoy Grandma

Good Luck!

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:07 pm

:D You lucky, lucky woman! Go alone if you have to, or hire a companion! Don't miss it! And then you can tell us all about it, first hand! Makes my heart go pit-a-pat! Go for it!

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:51 pm

Some of the UK ladies over on the FanZone will be going and they are very nice folk. But I agree even if you can't find anyone - I'd go alone if I were you!!!

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:46 am

****GREEN WITH ENVY****