Jason to perform on stage ...

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:05 pm

Great picture. The set really conveys the feeling of a very hopeless environment. I'd be in mental ruins if I had to spend much time in a room like that.

I so look forward to seeing this play - thanks so much for your thoughtful insights Bellatrix.

I hate to say this but you and your phone take better pictures than me and my expensive camera............... Sigh!

Bellatrix

Post by Bellatrix » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Marie wrote:Great picture. The set really conveys the feeling of a very hopeless environment. I'd be in mental ruins if I had to spend much time in a room like that.

I so look forward to seeing this play - thanks so much for your thoughtful insights Bellatrix.

I hate to say this but you and your phone take better pictures than me and my expensive camera............... Sigh!
I think it was pure luck....or the spirit of Jason!!! LOL!

And yes, the set perfectly conveyed the hopelessness and inhumanity of the situation. Plus, the whole basement thing was so symbolic of being at the bottom of the heap.

What I really loved is that on the surface this play seems quite straightforward and simple but actually, when you stop to think about it and analyze it, it's a masterpiece of carefully crafted writing (and acting, direction etc).Wonderful, truly wonderful! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I may have to go and see it again actually! :twisted:

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:22 pm

Our group of 7 all bought 2 tickets to go - a matinee and an evening performance. It looks like the kind of play where I will appreciate a second viewing. I don't always catch everything in the first viewing - I always see more the second time!

I think a lot of the fans are seeing it twice (a few perhaps more!)

Bellatrix

Post by Bellatrix » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:31 pm

Marie wrote:Our group of 7 all bought 2 tickets to go - a matinee and an evening performance. It looks like the kind of play where I will appreciate a second viewing. I don't always catch everything in the first viewing - I always see more the second time!

I think a lot of the fans are seeing it twice (a few perhaps more!)
It's a good plan and yes you are right, there are always subtle nuances you don't pick up first time around. And of course, with theatre, there are always slight differences.

And of course, any excuse to see more of Jason.... :mrgreen:

When are you going? I might go and see it again toward the end of the run. I actually prefer first and last night performances. When I was working in theatre, the final performance was always so highly charged and it's always the same when I see a production as a 'punter'. I love it! Theatre is simply one of the best things ever! :D

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:09 pm

Goodness--thanks for that, Bellatrix! (We've missed you!)

Sorry to hear of your travails re: gaining access to the FanZone (*sniff*--am trying not to think of this place as a second choice :-( --wonder if I could find one of those with an animated quivering lip??) oh anyway--
the deal is that the FZ had a poster a while back who sent people alarming private messages and ended up being faintly disturbing. Then s/he registered as a different person and conducted conversations with him/herself and so on... it was a bit silly but annoying, and the upshot was that the webmistress decided to change membership to by approval only.
This just entails E-MAILING HER. When you hit 'register' or whatever, you should get a message giving you the e-mail address to which to respond. Tell her a bit about yourself--in this case that you're a fascinating and insightful theatre connoisseur, and also that I recommended you!--and she should respond delightedly with your confirmation.
Give her a couple of days, though, as she's not as pathologically addicted to the Internet as some of us!

We've got tickies for the 19th of March, I think.
Our great horror is that the play may be cancelled early--the production of Bent in which Alan Cumming was appearing apparently closed early, so not all London theatre-goers are as appreciative as you are... I think Kim said that Dumb Waiter doesn't open to the press, or however one would phrase it, till the 8th. Send us some reviews, will ya??

Bellatrix

Post by Bellatrix » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:00 pm

Hilary the Touched wrote:Goodness--thanks for that, Bellatrix! (We've missed you!)
Aww thanks Hilary. I've been so busy recently...not least with moving house (we bought a Victorian shoe factory to live in!!).
Sorry to hear of your travails re: gaining access to the FanZone (*sniff*--am trying not to think of this place as a second choice :-( --wonder if I could find one of those with an animated quivering lip??) oh anyway--
No, no, no - this is not second choice at all! In fact I found this place first! I love it here!
the deal is that the FZ had a poster a while back who sent people alarming private messages and ended up being faintly disturbing. Then s/he registered as a different person and conducted conversations with him/herself and so on... it was a bit silly but annoying, and the upshot was that the webmistress decided to change membership to by approval only.
I completely understand. We get that sometimes over at our Malfoy forum. Muggles eh? :roll:
This just entails E-MAILING HER. When you hit 'register' or whatever, you should get a message giving you the e-mail address to which to respond.
Aaahh, I sent her a PM via her profile but she probably thinks I'm a stalky nutter now!
Tell her a bit about yourself--in this case that you're a fascinating and insightful theatre connoisseur, and also that I recommended you!--
**luffs the Hilary-lady** :mrgreen:
and she should respond delightedly with your confirmation.
Yay! It shall be done! Thank you!
Give her a couple of days, though, as she's not as pathologically addicted to the Internet as some of us!
What? You mean she has....a life? OMG! :shock: Imagine that!

:D
We've got tickies for the 19th of March, I think.
Our great horror is that the play may be cancelled early--the production of Bent in which Alan Cumming was appearing apparently closed early, so not all London theatre-goers are as appreciative as you are...
That's because they are witless philistines! Haha!

I had three shows cancel on me last week :evil: Admittedly it was because the theatre had to close but even so. The town I live in is quite large, so you'd think three professional theatres would be fine. But no, the smaller one has had to close because it cannot compete with the larger ones. I blame Steven Seagal. It's all his fault - he should have played the smaller venue instead of our main one!!!
I think Kim said that Dumb Waiter doesn't open to the press, or however one would phrase it, till the 8th. Send us some reviews, will ya??
Of course I will. To be honest, when we went on Saturday it was a full house, which surprised us somewhat. I suspect this may have been due more to it being Pinter that Isaacs, esp. as Pinter is quite fashionable right now. Still, it bodes well for the play. I'm looking forward to the reviews.

Actually, we almost didn't get in because five minutes before we left the hotel, we checked to see if we did have the tickets and discovered we'd been sent the wrong ones! :shock: They'd given us ones for Friday and not Saturday. We thought it would be ok since it wouldn't be full but how wrong we were. As soon as we got there, the panic set in. We explained what had happened and the FoH chaps were very understanding and helpful. They managed to let us have the LAST TWO seats! How lucky were we? And even better, they were only a few rows back from where we would have been anyway. **phew**

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:03 pm

I was wondering at the lack of reviews myself Hil, until I realized that probably wouldn't happen until the actual premiere. As you mentioned, that's not till the 8th, and all performances before then are only previews -- strange in a way, as I'd always assumed the first night to be opening night, but then I'm not much of a theatre goer and therefore unfamiliar with how it works.

Bellatrix, despite it's 'low quality' your photo does much to emphasize the mood and tension you spoke of, and I can still easily make out Jason's fabulous new goatee. Thank you so much for sharing not only that, but your review, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It's obvious you paid careful attention to what was going on as evidenced by your insighful and intelligent post. Hopefully you'll be able to catch it again, perhaps in the company of some of the members here. You'd be a welcome addition to their little entourage.

BTW, I just wanted to ask -- is that the dumb waiter to the left of Jason? Also, was Lee's character on stage at that point?

Bellatrix

Post by Bellatrix » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:40 pm

Thank you so much for your kind words, Gillian, they are very much appreciated.

If you can give me a few minutes, I'll boot up my other laptop and upload the other sneaky photo I have, which gives more perspective.

ETA:

OK this gives more of an idea of the layout. To the right of the photo, you can just about see Gus's bed. Lee was indeed present on stage at this time, and was sprawled, face down on said bed.

I quite like the fact that the programme seller is in the pic - proof that Jason and Lee were in fact, on stage and acting as the audience arrived!

The titular dumb waiter is in the centre of the set, on the back wall (or is it? Is Gus the dumb waiter? Is Ben? Neither are very bright...and they are waiting - but not for Godot, although the theme is similar!). That is Gus's jacket hanging on it. Ben's jacket hangs next to the door on the left.

If I'd been feeling braver, I'd have taken a few more shots but I was pretty sure that photography was not allowed. I felt a bit guilty TBH about taking the pic because it is a kind of breach of trust. So Jason, if you read this, please forgive me - I'm just a bit of a fangirl***, not an ignorant a**e!

***Obviously what I really mean is that I am an erudite, sophisticated and educated woman that just happens to get a tad overcome when you are around! Honest! :roll:

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:22 pm

Bella, would you mind telling us which row you where seated?
Looks like you had terrific seats...Heads up ladies, we will be in the
second row, look how CLOSE we are gonna be...OMG....
Thanx Bella for posting both pics..they are fabulous....Im so glad I'll have my cell phone with me in London...LOL.
If this play closes before we get there, Im gonna die...LOL.
Lets keep positive thoughts...thanx again Bella....

Bellatrix

Post by Bellatrix » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:30 pm

We were in row G, right in the centre (seats 20/21 I believe). You should be warned that the seating is very steep. I suffer from vertigo and had a bit of a wibble at one point....but it was worth it!

I shall certainly keep my fingers crossed for a full run, especially since I want to see it again!

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:01 pm

Ooooohh! The flourescent lights are a nice touch. And I must say, I've seen abandoned loo's that look more inviting than that set. Now that's real ambiance.
I felt a bit guilty TBH about taking the pic because it is a kind of breach of trust.
You've got a brass set to be sure. And don't think we don't appreciate it. :D
Thanks Bellatrix!

Bellatrix

Post by Bellatrix » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:11 pm

Gillian wrote:Ooooohh! The flourescent lights are a nice touch. And I must say, I've seen abandoned loo's that look more inviting than that set. Now that's real ambiance.
The SE1 club in Tooley Street has less inviting toilets than that set! Needless to say I don't frequent there anymore! :-(
You've got a brass set to be sure.
**checks** Ummm..... :roll: :twisted: **snigger**
And don't think we don't appreciate it. :D
Thanks Bellatrix!
Oh, I am sure you do! How could you not - 'tis THE man after all!!! ;-)

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:08 pm

I quite like the fact that the programme seller is in the pic
OthankGod.

I thought that was Lee Evans with some kind of hideous hand deformity...
*squints madly*

Bellatrix

Post by Bellatrix » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:40 am

Hilary the Touched wrote: OthankGod.

I thought that was Lee Evans with some kind of hideous hand deformity...
*squints madly*
Oh dear, that is tooooo funny! Am choking on my brekkie here!!! ::rofl

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:03 am

Luckily, we are all in Row B (thanx to the wonderful Char) so we wont have far to climb...I was doing the same thing, squinting to see what the heck LE was holding in his hand...LOL.
The man looks fab just lying on that cot, and its weird, but yu can make out the goatee... :shock: Thanx Bella for letting us know where your seat was...gosh ladies, we are practically going 2B 'OnStage"..LOL ;-)

Return to “General Forum”