British actors playing American roles

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Moira

British actors playing American roles

Post by Moira » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:41 am

I read this article in The New York Times, and I'd love to hear what you all think of it, concerning JI and Australian Jason Clarke. In case the article might disappear, here it is (copyright Bill Carter and TNYT):

April 5, 2007

The British Are Coming to Play American Roles

By BILL CARTER

At the party HBO held last week for the closing season of “The Sopranos,â€

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:34 am

They're very good . . . and they're cheap: a winning combination for this industry.

malfoygrandma

excellent article about Brit Actors in America!

Post by malfoygrandma » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:42 pm

:D Isn't it nice that so many actors we admire are appearing in American TV shows. Let's enjoy Jason on this next year of Brotherhood, and hope he lands something else equally enticing. I think this fits so well with the other comment about Jason getting roles that we want for him. Thanks for putting this up here for us.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:11 pm

They're very good . . . and they're cheap: a winning combination for this industry.
That could change with success. As TV shows with Brit headliners become more popular and ratings soar, then I could easily see the door opening for larger salary demands.

Foodie

Post by Foodie » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:07 pm

With more and more British actors coming over here to do shows, I can't help but wonder, which one do you think does the best American accent? Some of them are just amazing I think. JI does a great Southern accent, like in Black Hawk Down, as well as his New England accent. I have to admit though, that I think Hugh Laurie from House does the most flawless accent around. Any thoughts or opinions to add?

-Foodie :D

AussieJo

Post by AussieJo » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:46 am

BHD alumnus and Danish HORNBAG Nikolaj Coster-Waldau also has a pilot - "New Amsterdam" or something similar.

And so does Brit Damian "Fluffy" Lewis (some cop show on CBS).

Of course Christopher Eccleston turned up on Heroes, but he wasn't playing a 'Merkin. He was playing a scruffy, grumpy [English] Northerner......wow <i>there's</i> casting against type! (LOVE LOVE LOVE that Lancastrian Wingnut!)

AussieJo

Post by AussieJo » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:53 am

Foodie wrote:With more and more British actors coming over here to do shows, I can't help but wonder, which one do you think does the best American accent? Some of them are just amazing I think. JI does a great Southern accent, like in Black Hawk Down, as well as his New England accent. I have to admit though, that I think Hugh Laurie from House does the most flawless accent around. Any thoughts or opinions to add?

I don't think that actors from outside the US have problems with an American accent, because the rest of the Engligh-speaking world is positively *bombarded* with the American accent in TV, movies, and music. The only caveat to that is regional variations in the accent, where they would probably work with a dialogue coach (I believe Jason did for Brotherhood).

Australians-pretending-to-be-Merkins on US network TV (did you spot 'em?):
Dominic Purcell (Prison Break)
Lisa/Elisabeth Lackey (Heroes)
The Other Jason (Brotherhood)
Julian McMahon (Nip/Tuck & Charmed)
Alan Dale (Ugly Betty & 24)

There are more.....they're everywhere muahahahaha

Moira

Post by Moira » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:22 am

AussieJo wrote:...There are more.....they're everywhere muahahahaha
Then there's my fav Aussie, Philip Quast, who did a great American accent in the musical The Fix. Unfortunately he's never done any work in the U.S.

Hugh Jackman does one in X-men, though technically he's supposed to be Canadian.

Few Americans can do accents worth a damn, even regional U.S. accents. Sorry, but it's true! I'm picky about these things; British TV has spoiled me. If someone's playing a Texan, I don't want to hear a Georgian accent! Garrison Keiller complained about the "bad" Minnesotan accents in Fargo, but when I moved here I met people who talk just like that!

Foodie

Post by Foodie » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:08 pm

Oh my gosh, I had no clue the guy who plays Bradford Meade is Australian! He is good! I love Ugly Betty, so that's cool to know that.

I also thought that Heath Ledger did a really good American accent in The Patriot. Flawless actually.
Of course Christopher Eccleston turned up on Heroes, but he wasn't playing a 'Merkin. He was playing a scruffy, grumpy [English] Northerner......wow there's casting against type! (LOVE LOVE LOVE that Lancastrian Wingnut!)
I'm so happy that I'm not the only one who loves Eccleston! He was my first Doctor, so he'll always have a special place in my heart. He's the only reason I started watching Heroes...!!

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:00 pm

Brit Lennie James, who played condemned inmate Luke Gardner on The State Within, does a fantastic American accent for his part on the apocalyptic TV series Jericho. In fact, I think it's one of the best I've ever heard.

And if I could Aussie, I like to add Anthony LaPaglia to your list. He's done such a fantastic job adopting an American accent that most people are surprised to learn he's actually Australian.

Foodie

Post by Foodie » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:02 pm

Another awesome Aussie actor(how's that for alliteration!) who does a great American accent is Geoffrey Rush. But that almost goes without saying, because he's just too cool, and I have no doubt he could probably pull off any accent he tried! He's another fave of mine...

AussieJo

Post by AussieJo » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:28 am

Gillian wrote:Brit Lennie James, who played condemned inmate Luke Gardner on The State Within, does a fantastic American accent for his part on the apocalyptic TV series Jericho. In fact, I think it's one of the best I've ever heard.
Oh thanks! I was desperately trying to work out where I knew him from!

Gillian wrote: And if I could Aussie, I like to add Anthony LaPaglia to your list. He's done such a fantastic job adopting an American accent that most people are surprised to learn he's actually Australian.

I've given myself a MASSIVE uppercut for forgetting about Anthony LaPaglia! (Needless to say, Jonathan LaPaglia is also) haha

And Poppy Montgomery is too.

We get so muc Merkin TV that just about anyonr can bung on a half-decent "generic" accent here.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:56 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE that Lancastrian Wingnut!
Do you call Eccleston a wingnut because of his ears?? :monkeybutt

I first saw Chris on Prime Suspect--broke my heart. ("...and Cantona's bloody French!")

I've read that the ability to learn language is maximal before the age of about four, and that if you don't hear specific language sounds before that point, you lose the ability to discern them--one reason that the Japanese, for example, have such difficulty discriminating between L and R, two sounds that are not used in Japanese. Probably 90+% of people who own a television have heard American accents, but what's the corresponding percentage of 'Mercans who've listened to native Brits?

AussieJo

Post by AussieJo » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:12 am

Yeah - is there some other deep dark hidden meaning? :)

And I tihnk you mean Cracker, not Prime Suspect.

I have the season 1 & 2 box sets. I've watched 1, but can't bring myself to watch 2, because I've already seen the first ep...

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:52 am

My favorite Hugh Laurie role is still in "Sense and Sensibility" where in respose to something idiotic his wife (Imelda Staunton, I believe) says, disdainfully growls "Try." I laugh at that every time I see it.

Kate Winslet does an absolutely amazing American accent. She is without a doubt my favorite actress and i would love to see her in a drama with Jason. I'm sure he'd say yes without even bothering to read the script.

Return to “General Forum”