Congrats to Al Gore

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Congrats to Al Gore

Post by Hilary the Touched » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:35 am

who won the Nobel Peace Prize.

There's something else I'd like to see him win--er, re-win . . .

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:02 pm

Heard it on the news in my way into work this morning. I didn't even know he'd been nominated. :roll:

He REALLY should be president, you know.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:10 pm

Huzzah!!

Luv

Post by Luv » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:23 pm

One thing Bush will never have to worry about winning...that's for sure.

Gosh...thinking of what might've been if that farce of an election had turned out as it was intended. It almost makes me sick to my stomach to realize how much better off the entire world would probably be right now.

No use crying over spilled milk...but damnit...I didn't spill it! And it still seemed to get all over me!

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:43 pm

:lol <--Hilary laughing bitterly before sulking off in search of alcohol

lyra70

Post by lyra70 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:49 am

I seriously thought he would announce his candidacy after this but it looks like he's serious about not doing it. What do you all think? Am I wrong in thinking if it isn't Gore then the Democrats will lose the election again? Because I can't see the marginal voters (which is what it boils down to in the end, isn't it?) voting for either Hilary or Obama. At any rate I'm Canadian so I'm just curious about how this will turn out.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:32 pm

I think Hilary is going to kick butt. (OK so that is what I really hope at this point!)

Luv

Post by Luv » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:20 pm

If Rudy gets the Republican nomination I think Hilary can beat him. I used to have a bit of respect for him in the aftermath of 9/11, but the way he's pimping that tragedy for his own gain is deplorable. And that wacky crap with his wife calling him on his cell during his speeches. WTF? That's the dumbest "gimmick" (since I'm sure that's what it is) ever.

He's far too liberal with social issues for the conservatives to back him. They probably won't vote at all this time (that's okay, they can take a few years off LOL).

It seems impossible that our "progressive" country might finally be grown-up enough to deal with WOMAN *gasp* as its leader. But I am keeping my fingers crossed that Hillary pulls it out. I think she'd be an excellent president (and I miss Bill!)

But I never would have thought in a million years that Bush would have won either. (Oh that's right...he didn't!). So there's hope!

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:29 pm

I used to have a bit of respect for him in the aftermath of 9/11
Well, plenty of firefighters don't: http://therealrudy.org/radios?utm_source=rgemail

Wikipedia says:
"On March 31, 2005, it was announced that Giuliani would join the law firm of Bracewell & Patterson LLP (renamed Bracewell & Giuliani LLP) as a name partner and symbolic head of the expanding firm's new New York office. Despite a busy schedule the former mayor is known to be highly active in the day-to-day business of the Texas-based law firm described by the New York Times as "perhaps the nation’s most aggressive lobbyist for coal-fired power plants, heavy emitters of air pollutants and carbon dioxide, a gas associated with global warming." While there was early speculation that the firm would merge with Giuliani Partners, this is a legal impossibility because as a matter of ethics, lawyers cannot share legal fees with non-lawyers. However, while the firm is completely independent of the consulting business, the two entities maintain a close strategic partnership.

On May 15, 2007 the Associated Press reported that Giuliani "has profited from his firm's work representing corporate clients before nearly every Cabinet department, exposing himself to a wide range of potential ethical entanglements." It was further reported that Giuliani's efforts on behalf of clients such as the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the chewing tobacco manufacturer UST Inc. had "contributed toward his personal net worth of millions of dollars."

I wasn't impressed with what I read of the press conference he called to advise the public that he intended to separate from his second wife (who had not been advised of this fact). Neither was I too overwhelmed by what I read about his association with Bernie Kerik (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/05/ ... 2787.shtml).

I was asked this weekend if I would sign a petition to get Giuliani added to the ballot in Virginia; several responses came to mind ("Sure! We need all the cross-dressers we can get on that ticket!") but I settled for "sorry, I'm not a registered voter".

Return to “General Forum”