Question for Canadians: Traders vs Capital City

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, kjshd05, Marie, fruitbat, Gillian, Chari910, catloveyes, Helen8

AussieJo

Question for Canadians: Traders vs Capital City

Post by AussieJo » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:03 am

Oi you Mooselovers!

Is 'Traders' basically a Canadian re-hashing of Capital City, or just something in a similar vein?

Is it worth grabbing a copy?
(David Hewlett fangirl nerdlove, in case you're wondering...)

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:56 pm

Is it a rehashing? Can't say. I haven't seen either. It did win a bunch of Gemini's (the Canadian equivalent of the Emmy's) if that makes any difference.
Oi you Mooselovers!
Smile when you say that.

AussieJo

Post by AussieJo » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:49 am

OK.....to keep with the Halloween theme I'm re-animating a dead thread...

Before the Australian dollar died in the arse, I got the DVD box set of season 1 of Traders and watched it.

Excellent stuff!!!

So much so that I'm mighty pissed off that they haven't released seasons 2-5 on DVD. This is a great show.

If you liked Capital City, you will _definitely_ love this. It's far less "po-faced" than CC....there's a fair bit more comedic moments. (Patrick McKenna's luminous teeth and bug eyes are strangely hypnotic...)

And I looooooooove teh Jansky!!!!!1 :)

FYI, producer/writer David Shore went on to create House, and the guy who created the series [whose name escapes me atm] is responsible for Bones.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:00 pm

Just what the heck is 'po-faced'?
(Patrick McKenna's luminous teeth and bug eyes are strangely hypnotic...)
http://images.zap2it.com/20080221/there ... ow_240.jpg

No argument there.
BTW, that's him on the right. He played Harold on The Red Green Show -- a program vastly more popular than Traders. It even went on to develop a bit of a cult following here in North America.
So much so that I'm mighty pissed off that they haven't released seasons 2-5 on DVD.
I'm surprised they even released season 1. But this is Canada, so what do you expect?

AussieJo

Post by AussieJo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:54 am

Gillian wrote:Just what the heck is 'po-faced'?
Ummmm........stuffy, uptight, humourless, "straight-laced"....that general area. You know, English. :)

Gillian wrote:
(Patrick McKenna's luminous teeth and bug eyes are strangely hypnotic...)
http://images.zap2it.com/20080221/there ... ow_240.jpg

No argument there.
BTW, that's him on the right.
No, actually that's him on the left.
And he looks relatively normal there.

In Traders (and the eps of Stargate:SG1 he did) he looked like a psychotic, radioactive-toothed squirrel hoarding chestnuts in his cheeks...with bug eyes. That being said, he was fantastic in Traders...

Gillian wrote:He played Harold on The Red Green Show -- a program vastly more popular than Traders. It even went on to develop a bit of a cult following here in North America.
I've gathered that. I'd like to give it a look at some stage - you got any suggestions where in the series I start or best eps to sample?

(Note: That is subject to fluctuations in the AUD$ and/or whether I can get my shit togther and get broadband...)

Gillian wrote:
So much so that I'm mighty pissed off that they haven't released seasons 2-5 on DVD.
I'm surprised they even released season 1. But this is Canada, so what do you expect?
Apparently people keep emailing the distributors asking for a release, with the response (yeah, they RESPOND!) that there are "no plans". Boo hiss. I know where to get it online, but it's 24Gb! :(

AussieJo

Post by AussieJo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:56 am

Actually, one Canadian series I'd love to check out on DVD is The Beachcombers.

When I was a kid, when that turned up on Oz TV, you KNEW it was summer. (In a good way, not a summer-TV-is-shit way.)

Who knew a bunch of blokes dragging logs around by tugboat could be so entertaining?

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:47 am

bunch of blokes dragging logs around by tugboat

Silly me. I'm from Southern California and thought that Beachcombers would be about surfers. :roll:

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:38 pm

Ummmm........stuffy, uptight, humourless, "straight-laced"....that general area. You know, English. :)
Smartass.
No, actually that's him on the left.
Sorry, that's what I mean't.
Steve Smith is the one on the right. He plays Harold's uncle, Red (if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy) Green.
I've gathered that. I'd like to give it a look at some stage - you got any suggestions where in the series I start or best eps to sample?
I'd check out some videos on Youtube first. The humor *can* be somewhat specific, so I don't know how well it would translate. That said, the clip entitled 'Four-Wheel Drive' is hilarious.
Actually, one Canadian series I'd love to check out on DVD is The Beachcombers.
Dear god, why? It's a bit hokey and seriously outdated. But hey, whatever blows your skirt up.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:43 am

I'm replying here because I want you to read this, you antipodean terror, you:
I remembered to ask Jason Isaacs on your behalf (I actually prefaced my question with "AussieJo wanted to know") about his appearance on The Bill. He laughed delightedly and expressed astonishment that anyone a) remembered he'd been in it and b) gave a crap.
He replied that he thought he'd played a physician, and later guessed that his name had been Dr. Boxer; he'd been working on stage when he discovered that all his co-stars had Bill credits and he went to his agent in a sook. Said agent made a call and he was sorted--it was, like, two hours of work.
He came home from the theatre to find Emma frantically fiddling with the TV remote. He was horrified, and cried, "Stop! I'm recording something!" She said, "I know--I'm trying to erase it!" She told him it was miserable, and she was just trying to spare him; he insisted on watching anyway and had to agree.
So there ya go.