Please introduce yourself here!!

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, kjshd05, Marie, Gillian, Chari910, catloveyes, Helen8

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Re: Please introduce yourself here!!

Post by Helen8 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:36 pm

-40 Celcius. Which is the temperature diesel freezes,
:shock:

You are really hardy gals!!

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:42 pm

You are really hardy gals!!
Good preparation for the arduous task of keeping up the elusive Mr. Isaacs and his sometimes stealth career!

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:52 pm

Hi All,

I've been lurking for a while, and finally bit the bullet and joined. I hate writing these little introductory things, which is why it has taken me over a week to write anything. I feel like I am completing a profile on Match.com: female, has all limbs and eyes, loves children, horses, and cats, single, old enough to know better, mac user, love to travel, coffee/mocha/chocolate/bagel/Dunkin' addict. I'm a transplant to Philadelphia due to a graduate studies program at university, but am New England born and raised. I'm an archaeologist/ancient historian, and am currently looking for a job in my field, which makes acting look like a steady and trustworthy gig. ;-)

I guess...I...errr..."met" Jason through Highlander (guilty pleasure bad TV show), Armegeddon (where I absolutely loved his line about the C- at MIT...insert evil ex-graduate student chuckle) Harry Potter films (yeah, I'm a Snape and Lucius fan), The State Within, and The Patriot (if you think about it, the title is misleading, there is not just one Patriot (i.e., Stumpy) but two - Tavington is just as much a Patriot as Stumpy is -just for the other side). He's just one of those actors that may have the smaller part, but you always know that at least THAT part of the movie will be excellent. Unlike some of my other fav actors, he doesn't seem to check out mentally when doing a smaller part, instead he still gets into it - thankfully! I suppose my favorite parts are the typical ones: Michael, Mark, Tavington, Lucius, and Hook- but-honestly- why try to move beyond perfection? :brows

Cheers!
LadySekhmet

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:04 pm

Welcome to the Lost Girls, LadySekhmet !!!!

~me

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:17 pm

Welcome, LadySekhmet :D Have fun, and post as much as you can! :woot

Sorry, don't mean to bother you with work here... But: Ancient historian and archaeologist? :mrgreen: You don't have any idea how I can get thirty 17 year olds interested in Ancient Egypt tomorrow do you?

I better get back the lesson about the old Egyptians, because it won't prepare itself,and it's not a good sign if I end up here... :oops:

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:35 pm

Welcome lady Sekhmet. Happy to make your JI acquaintance. :woot :yip :hands

~ML :loco :brows :cool:

Lizzie

Post by Lizzie » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:48 pm

Welcome Lady Sekhmet, enjoy the show! ::rofl

Lizzie

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:51 pm

Hi,

Thanks, everyone! :D

@Thunder- I ***LURVE*** Egypt. :adore Yes, because I focus on Egypt and Bronze Age Greece (and their interconnections)! :cherub

I'll trade ya for some knowledge on how to get a bloody icon posted for my avatar. I can't seem to get any photos small enough. Grr...Technology and I are not doing well today, but that could be the paint fumes from down the hall...

Do you only have one day? (she asks wistfully)

Kids (of any age) seem to really like mummification. Personally, I've never met a mummy I didn't love. If you had more time, you could do a mummification project- or it could be a semester long project if you wanted. Don't worry, you wouldn't have to actually kill anything first. Some folks use guinea hens from the grocery store. One of my friends orders her mummies-to-be from biology supply sites (the sites that sell animals for dissection in bio classes).

Sometimes you can also use the hook of how Egypt has influenced us through the ages: Hollywood: Cleopatra, The 10 Commandments (thanks to C.B. DeMille, everyone thinks that Hebrew slaves built the pyramids and that Ramesses II was the pharaoh of the Exodus- gah!), Agora, Bubbahotep (when Elvis meets evil mummies). This site is devoted to movies about ancient Egypt: http://www.ancientegyptfilmsite.nl. There are the Egyptianizing trends of the Napoleonic period and the Art Deco period, books, like "The Egyptian" by Mika Waltari (which was also made into a film) or Pauline Gedge's series, even the Rosicrucians.

Have you seen the music videos by the History Teachers? They make their own music videos about history. They are incredibly talented folks.
Cleopatra: http://youtu.be/rVE7RqQwyi0
Mummification: http://youtu.be/1JqlAD7dn-E
King Tut: http://youtu.be/cAQyFO_fPmM

There are also some blogs out there-if you want to show them that the media and social networks are very much alive- we are not all glasses wearing bookworms who have no lives (as she pushes her glasses up):

This one is from Uni. Birmingham. The woman who owns it is a PhD candidate who also researches Egypt and Greece.
http://www.archaeologyplanet.blogspot.com/

There is-of course- Dr. Zahi Hawass' blog. We Egyptologists have watched the downfall of this former head of the Supreme Council of Antiquities (and for a brief couple of months the Ministry of Antiquities) on various media- mostly Facebook- and via his blog:
http://www.drhawass.com/blogs/zahi-hawass

Facebook was also very instrumental about getting information out as quickly as possible- not only about the Egyptian revolution itself, but also about the monuments and artifacts. There are various pages, such as: Restore + Save the Egyptian Museum, We are all Khaled Said, The Egyptian Museum, The American Research Center in Egypt, the EES (UK based) that focus on ancient Egypt and the research centers that are part of them. There is the main website for the site of Tell el Amarna: http://www.amarnaproject.com/. Here is a listing of videos on ancient Egypt from the Electronic Egyptological Forum (EEF): http://www.egyptologyforum.org/EEFvideos.html. There are also lots of Twitter pages.

Feel free to PM if you'd like. I can send you more info privately, so as not to bore everyone else to death- because I just realized how big my response was...sorry!
LadySekhmet

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:02 pm

I love History too- and I find ancient Egypt particularly fascinating. It's funny that you mentioned the Rosicrucians- I'm a member of AMORC (Ancient and Mystical Order Rosae Crucis). I've always wanted to visit their Egyptian Museum in San Jose, CA.

~me

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:29 pm

LadySekhmet wrote: I'll trade ya for some knowledge on how to get a bloody icon posted for my avatar. I can't seem to get any photos small enough. Grr...Technology and I are not doing well today, but that could be the paint fumes from down the hall...

Do you only have one day? (she asks wistfully)
Thanks, I love you :hug
I only have one lesson (60 minutes). And it's the final lesson of the day too, so I need to spice it up, and your links are so helpful! The course is 56 lessons per year, and we have to cover all world history from the beginning to until around 1750. So we just scrape the surface. Curriculum says we should cover the importance of the nature resources and technology, so that's got to be some productive 60 minutes... We are moving onto Greece next (We'll have a bit more time then), I may get back to you ;-)

Avatar? I think you go into"user control panel", then choose "profile", and then "edit avatar". You can choose a file from your computer, and it has to be no bigger 80*80 pixels, and not over 6.00 kb... that's how I got one, I think... :scratch

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:41 pm

Bubba Ho-Tep!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Pat, a fan I met through the old site, joined me for a screening in Washington, D.C. which was attended by Bruce Campbell. He was a hoot-and-a-half, and we had a ball.

Oh, um, avatars: yes, they gotta be small, or the site won't accept 'em. You MUST have some kinda manipulation program on your computer--which version of Preview do you have? I've got 5.0.3, and in that, if you click TOOLS, you get the option to Adjust Size. Keep Adjust Proportionally checked, and then just set the larger to 80 pixels, and you should be off to the races.
If not, I'll see what I can do!

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi,

@Thunder - Haha! :hands You're very welcome. You can also ask about the Greeks, if you get stuck. I don't mind. If I minded talking about them, then the whole ancient historian thing was totally the wrong road to journey down for the rest of my life. ;-)

@Hilary the touched - Thanks! :woot Wow, I was making my life way too hard this afternoon. I'm blaming it all on the paint fumes from down the hall.

@Angel Tavington - I don't know much about the Rosicrucians. I've been to the museum, but it's been a while ago. San Jose is a little...umm..unique...so the museum fits right in with the city. The collection is a solid one, with some very nice pieces, but I have other collections that are my favorites, including the Penn Museum in Philadelphia. The exterior, however, is waaaay cool. I was rather fascinated by the exterior. I seem to remember that the garden was very nice, too. :D

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:56 am

Hello, LadySekhmet Image
LadySekhmet wrote: The Patriot (if you think about it, the title is misleading, there is not just one Patriot (i.e., Stumpy) but
two - Tavington is just as much a Patriot as Stumpy is -just for the other side).
I guess it depends on your perspective. I prefer Thunder's take on it. Image

You can't beat this ending.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:37 pm

Welcome Lady Sekhmet. History is a great subject. Egypt and Greece. It all sounds interesting but my old mind is slow to take it in but I will keep trying as long as all of you keep writing.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:47 pm

a belated welcome, Lady Sekhmet :cool: