Morgan Freeman injured in car crash

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Gillian
Site Admin

Morgan Freeman injured in car crash

Post by Gillian » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:10 pm

From the Associated Press ...

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Oscar-winning actor Morgan Freeman was hospitalized in serious condition Monday after the car he was driving left a rural road in the Mississippi Delta and flipped several times.

Freeman, 71, was airlifted to the Regional Medical Center in Memphis, Tenn., about 90 miles north of the accident in rural Tallahatchie County.

The actor "has a broken arm, broken elbow and minor shoulder damage, but is in good spirits," according to a statement from Donna Lee, Freeman's publicist. A hospital spokeswoman said Freeman was in serious condition but would not discuss his injuries.

"He is having a little bit of surgery this afternoon or tomorrow to help correct the damage," Lee's statement said. "He says he'll be OK and is looking forward to a full recovery."

Freeman, who won an Oscar for his role in "Million Dollar Baby," is among the stars in "The Dark Knight," now in theaters. His screen credits also include "Driving Miss Daisy."

Freeman and a companion were traveling on a dark, two-lane highway that cuts through the expansive farmlands of the Mississippi Delta when the car ran off the side of the road shortly before midnight Sunday, authorities said. The vehicle flipped several times but landed upright in a ditch alongside Mississippi Highway 32, about 5 miles west of Charleston, not far from where Freeman owns a home with his wife.

Mississippi Highway Patrol spokesman Sgt. Ben Williams said rescuers had to use the jaws of life to remove Freeman from the car.

"He was lucid, conscious. He was talking, joking with some of the rescue workers at one point," said Clay McFerrin, editor of Sun Sentinel in Charleston, who arrived at the scene soon after the accident happened.

McFerrin said it appeared Freeman's car was airborne when it left the highway.

Bystanders converged on the accident scene trying to get a glimpse of the actor, McFerrin said.

When one person tried to snap a photo with a cell phone camera, Freeman joked, "no freebies, no freebies," McFerrin said.

Williams said Freeman was driving a 1997 Nissan Maxima that belonged to Demaris Meyer of Memphis.

"There's no indication that either alcohol or drugs were involved," Williams said. He said both Freeman and Meyer were wearing seat belts. The woman's condition was not immediately available.

Freeman was born in Memphis, Tenn., but spent much of his childhood in the Mississippi Delta. He is a co-owner of the Ground Zero Blues Club in Clarksdale.

"I'm definitely concerned," country singer and fellow Mississippian Steve Azar, whose video for his hit "Waitin' on Joe" featured Freeman, said Monday. The two have also worked charity events together. "He's been the best ambassador our state has ever had."

"He could live anywhere in the world and he came back home," Azar said. "I just think it shows a lot about him as a person and how grounded he is."

The hospital where Freeman is being treated is commonly known as The Med, and is an acute-care teaching facility that serves patients within 150 miles of Memphis.

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:12 pm

I read that today earlier. I'm so shocked.
I hope everything goes well and that he has a speedy recovery.
He truly is a great actor.

whisperwood

Post by whisperwood » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:20 am

I think any movie he's in goes up many notches in quality.

Not that Morgan will ever read this but...

All my best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Soule

Post by Soule » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:18 am

I heard this on the radio this morning.

I hope him and his companion have a quick recovery.

Funkay

Post by Funkay » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:52 am

It's the curse of The Dark Knight...

Just sayin'.

:shh

I read earlier that he should be okay, which is great news. I'm definitely hoping he recovers fully and well! Until then, I'll hold vigil with my Electric Company DVDs.

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:54 am

Funkay I actually read bout that. Like it's a curse.

Personally I don't believe in it...I guess it's just a weird coincidence.

Funkay

Post by Funkay » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:57 am

Indeed it is a weird coincidence, but the media loves to sensationalize things.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:59 am

I'll hold vigil with my Electric Company DVDs.
Oh for a kinder, simpler time. LOL!

Poor guy, though. The intertube is rife with 'Curse of the Dark Knight' conspiracy theories. Like that's the last thing he needs to hear!

I'm glad it's nothing serious and that the prognosis looks good. He's a class act and I want him to be around for a long, long time.

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:02 pm

He was cracking jokes with paramedics at the scene.....what a fantastic patient he must be for the hospital staff.....I wonder if they saw 'Evan Almighty'? :scratch :lol (I nearly burst out in giggles in jury duty during the pledge of allegiance....thinking of his line: "One nation, under ME!" :lol)
He's a fantastic actor, and in good health considering....Thank God he had the seat belts fastened. Prayers going his way from C.C.,TX ~M'L :cool:

Funkay

Post by Funkay » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:45 pm

I think 10 Items or Less is my favorite. It's definitely one of my favorite movies overall. That movie is a gem and his performance was amazing. The scene at the Target with the mop demonstration is just fabulous. If you haven't seen it, please do!

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:24 pm

He's a fantastic actor. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:19 pm

Poor Mr. Freeman.
Recovery from even a minor injury gets harder and harder with each passing year--I hope he gets terrific care, lots of therapy, and feels great soon.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:23 pm

He was released from hospital yesterday. He'll probably have to wear a neck brace for the next six/eight months.

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/marc_ma ... pital.html

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:36 pm

He'll probably have to wear a neck brace for the next six/eight months.

Poor, dear man.

Soule

Post by Soule » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:59 pm

Good to hear that he is home from hopital and on the mend.

Return to “General Forum”