Books you've read where Jason is a character

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

lyra70

Books you've read where Jason is a character

Post by lyra70 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:19 pm

I'm curious how you guys go through the process of reading and imagining characters - with me for instance it's an instantaneous thing and the first person that comes to my mind while I'm reading just stays that way, whether i like it or not. Usually it's an actor because I imagine much of what I read as though it were a movie but often a neighbor or acquaintance of someone at the grocery store will pop in my head. Sometimes there is no resemblance to the character in the book, it's like my imagination takes on a life of its own.

Lately I have had the pleasure of Jason figuring in a couple of things I've been reading and it makes for an even better experience...he really is so lovely. I read Anita Shreve's "Light in Snow" and had Jason and Dakota Fanning (as I said, I don't think it through but it's whoever pops up) as the father/daughter. Now I've just finished (also by A. Shreve - I seem to read authors in bursts) "Fortune's Rocks" about a 40-year old doctor and the affair he has with a fifteen year old girl during the turn of the century in New England and can absolutely imagine this as a film starring Jason and Keira Knightley. It's a pretty good book and I really wish these kinds of stories could be made into movies instead of so much of the crap that's out there. Has anyone read these books? I have a feeling as I go along reading Shreve that Jason will turn up again, not that I'm complaining!

I've also imagined him (with great pleasure) as Eddard Stark in A Game of Thrones.

Do any others here have similar experiences?

For example, I've read Elizabeth George's mysteries since the mid 1990's and maybe it was because I'd just seen the English Patient but I instantly thought of Ralph Fiennes as Thomas Lynley, and even after I've seen Nathaniel Parker in all the PBS shows, as I continue to read the latest novels, Fiennes as Lynley remains burned in my imagination. It can be quite confusing.

I come here often to catch up on news but haven't posted much, I apologize!

malfoygrandma

Jason in fiction!

Post by malfoygrandma » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:52 am

:shock: This is a very nice observation! As a devoted fan, I have been placing him in many things I read, but I am a professional writer, and have the distinct privelege of placing him in everything I write as well! So I always have him in the starring masculine role in every novel and short story I write! Very, Very fulfilling to a devoted fan!

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:46 am

Well I actually read Angels in America and when I found out that he had played Louis Ironson, everytime I read scenes with Louis I could literally picture him say that.
I know it's not the same..but I had to say it :P

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:06 pm

Hm, I've read one of the books from Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series and I can easily imagine our dear Jason as Richard Sharpe, a handsome British officer.

I know that Sean Bean played Sharpe on TV, but...it's not hard to imagine JI in that role :brows

~me

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:31 pm

I haven't read any of them, but I understand that many fans of Diane Gabaldon's Outlander series reckon JI would work well for those . . .

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:09 am

author is J. Winfield Currie

Trilogy about the American Revolution...

Book 1: Beyond all Reason

Book 2: Beyond all Odds

Book 3: should be published this October...

If you are a fan of Tavvy (and who isn't) these books
are a "Must" read....

I can't wait for the third book....

Book 1 is actually on its second publication, and I'm told that it's a bit
different from the first....it has been "slicked" up by the author...

I am awaiting it's arrival, so I can see how it differs from the original,
which was totally fabulous to begin with...

catloveyes

Post by catloveyes » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:25 am

These books are WONDERFUL...if you adore "TAVINGTON" ....you need to read these.

Thank you Kim for sharing this as these books are beautifully written, historical as well as being very romantic....you will not want to stop reading them!! :hug

Hugs,
Kate

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:42 am

Thanks, Kim. I'll keep an eye out for them. :hands
I only watch 'Patriot' now to make fun of Cornwallis.
That discussion between Tavington and Cornwallis, after the 'prisoner exchange', and he's wearing that Tapestry coat, I keep getting a mental image of Carol Burnette mocking 'Gone with the Wind', (where she's wearing the drapes, with the rod still on them). Have you noticed that his window didn't have drapes? (Curious. Very curious.) And, the fact that his hair looks like a roll of parchment. :lol (All that's missing from the ensemble, is a pair of pearl earrings, or him singing "On the Good Ship Lollipop" ::rofl )
Maybe it's just me, but that old coot kind of started the 'Butcher', with the way he treats Tavvie. Maybe, it's just his displaced fantasy of what he'd like to do to Cornwallis. :scratch
~M'L :twisted: :cool:

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:26 am

Marilaine, I loved that Carol Burnett sketch!
Unlike many other aspects of that movie, though, the garment Cornwallis wears in that scene is actually quite accurate: wealthy gentlemen relaxing at home frequently put aside their coats in favour of a more comfortable garment often called a banyan. These were allegedly inspired by clothing worn in another part of the world that England was merrily taking over, India. Those who could afford them typically showed off elegant brocaded, embroidered, or printed fabrics--men as well as women. (Here's a link to one in the collection of the Victoria and Albert Museum: http://collections.vam.ac.uk/objectid/O89443)
I thought Cornwallis' was rather fetching.
But you're right that, however indirectly, Cornwallis did create Tavington and the tactics Cornwallis later decried.

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:10 pm

Thank you, Hil. I thought at first it was just because of my watching it all the time. In fact, I had a dream I was reciting Tavington's line to someone....."Fire the house and barns.....by standing order of His Majesty King George.... :roll:
~M'L :cool: :twisted:

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:09 pm

These books are WONDERFUL...if you adore "TAVINGTON" ....you need to read these.
I need to read them!
In fact, I had a dream I was reciting Tavington's line to someone....."Fire the house and barns.....by standing order of His Majesty King George....
...all slaves of the American colonies who fight for the Crown will be granted their freedom with our victory.
:lol :lol :lol

~me

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:14 pm

"But sir! We're not slaves....we work this land. We're freed men."
"Well, then your free men will have the honor and the privelege of fighting in the King's Army, aren't you?" :yip
~M'L :twisted: :cool:

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:58 pm

And . . . back to Lyra's original question. [Sorry Tavvy-ites. :cool: ]

I usually picture Jason in my mind's eye as I read books.

Another person I will always imagine while reading or listening to CDs of Harry Potter, and that's Richard Harris as Dumbledore. Now I do like Michael Gambon, and he does do a nice job in the role, but Richard Harris will always be Dumbledore for me. He was who I imagined while reading in book 6 about Dumbledore choking down the poison and dying on the tower at Hogwarts.

kontara

Post by kontara » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:18 pm

Helen,

I'm with you. I think MG is doing a good job with Dumbledore but for me I always hear Harris when i read the books. I think that is why Dumbledore's death effected me as bad as it did....

Penny

As for books with Jason as the character.... I tend to do that with most of the books I read... I "cast" the book... Lately I've been reading Eric Flint/David Drakes Belasaurius series...

Soule

Post by Soule » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:37 pm

The High Lord in The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan.

The books have some similarities to Harry Potter but they are darker, The high Lord is a character who you are not sure if he is good or bad, and I think Jason would be great, to add to that mystique.

Return to “General Forum”