Random autumnal photos

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:24 am

That's very interesting, Cissa. I'd seen adult Luna moths a couple of times, but I think that's the first caterpillar I've seen.
When I went to show it to Sprog an hour or so later, there was no sign of it. . . :-(

Cissa

Post by Cissa » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:37 am

Don't be sad Hil, it most likely just moved on. Baby bugs move very quickly when it comes to eating, despite their legs being so short. You'd be surprised! They often fall off the leaves they eat by a sudden gust of wind or a squirrel jumping onto a branch, etc. They just shimmy their little arses right back up. They don't waste any time as they are only babies like that for a short while, and in the case of Saturnids, like many other insects, that is the only time in their lives that they ever eat. They spin their cocoons, and transform, and they emerge next Spring as beautiful adults - without mouths! :shock: