My Grandmother - broken hip

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

My Grandmother - broken hip

Post by Marie » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:09 am

Think some good thoughts for my Memere - she fell and broke a hip last week. We thought she was doing pretty good but the Doctors are now concerned about her heart and her kidneys are starting to fail.

She is 103 so problems are not totally unexpected. It's kind of sad though - she just recently went into a nursing home and we were hoping that move would prevent something like this. But my grandmother was too proud to use a cane or walker. Not the nursing homes fault - at least she was not left alone in her old apartment with a broken hip for who knows how long - that would have been horrible.

Marie

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:29 am

Falls usually are the beginning of the end for the old folks, especially broken hips. Your GM is remarkable! walking well at 103. Does she still have family members up there to take care of her?

I really fear for my mom as well. She has osteoporosis and very unstable :-(

catloveyes

Post by catloveyes » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:41 am

My prayers and thoughts are with your wonderful Grandmother Marie.....such a remarkable woman. :hug

And for your Mom as well Char....I wish her well.:hug

LadyLucius

Post by LadyLucius » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:44 am

I hope she is well taken care of Marie. 103! What a fabulous age. She must be amazing.

My student's father had a fall this weekend and broke his ribs. She's in a right state.

Best wishes for your grans speedy recovery.

LL

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:37 pm

Marie, I'm sending good and healing thoughts to your remarkable grandmother.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:02 pm

Marie, my thoughts and prayers are with your grandmother
:hug Hope she has a speedy and nice recovery

~me

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:44 pm

Marie, I hope you GM gets well, soon..WOW, 103.....remarkable...

Char, here's hoping your Mom stays well for as long as she can...

After just shoveling a foot of snow, I was being blown around and slipping
it's treacherous out there....

Ariza

Post by Ariza » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:44 pm

You and your grandmother are in my prayers. I hope she has a speedy recovery.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:25 pm

Oh dear!! Poor elderly people. How fortunate these ladies are not to be in a situation you described, Marie, alone and helpless! :-(
I wish them all the comfort possible!

wolfsaver

Post by wolfsaver » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:57 pm

Marie, So sad to hear this news, and so difficult for a proud lady her age. My dear aunt, at 89, had a hip replacement after a break last spring-her second in 3 years. This remarkable lady is independent and lives alone, and was so determined to remain so, that she was back at home in 6 weeks, doing well. It is so important that family and friends provide the moral support to keep these patients' spirits high. We were with my aunt every day as she recovered, and I'm sure it made a difference. She could have easily given up in a second rehabilitation. My prayers are with your grandmother.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:04 pm

Memere broke an elbow in her 90s going to church in the winter. She was in a short term nursing home and the minute they let her she was back in her apartment. Since then she developed geriatric diabetes and we were very concerned because she would forget to eat and to take her insulin shot. So she finally agreed this year to go into a nursing home - but it was really just to make sure she got meals and meds on time. Until now - I really hope she makes it out of the hospital. Everyone at the nursing home just adores her.

Thank you all for your kind wishes - I will pass them on to Memere.

And Char your Mom is so sweet - I wish our loved ones could last forever.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:48 pm

Falls usually are the beginning of the end for the old folks, especially broken hips.
I've heard that too, but it's not always the case. My aunt broke her hip while over from the UK visiting my folks, but recovered and went on to live for several more years. She was a nice lady, too, and looked a lot like my dad. So much in fact, I often thought, "you know, if he were in drag, he'd look just like her". :D

Best wishes and a speedy recovery for your grandmother, Marie!!

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:43 pm

Gillian wrote:
Falls usually are the beginning of the end for the old folks, especially broken hips.
I've heard that too, but it's not always the case......
Ditto. My Gram fell and wrecked her kneecap when she was in her early 80s. A week after they operated, she was home, forgetting in which room she'd left the cane they'd insisted she take. (The week after the op was Christmas Day; her quick recovery was a great present for us.)

Marie, I'm not a pray-er but I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:35 pm

Oh Dear! Anything with the hips is very painful. At 103 she must have courage by the bushelful. I'll keep her in my thoughts and hope she pulls thru without too much further damage.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:10 pm

Your grandmother was in great shape before so she has a better chance to beat the odds.

I didn't mean to sound so negative but the news just brought out one of my greatest fears for my mom.

My next door neighbor who was in his 70's was a very active, healthy guy until he fell down the seawall onto the beach, broke his arm and hip. His wife didn't find him until several hours afterward. Because of complications, he's been in the nursing home for 2 years now and probably won't walk again. It's so sad.

Return to “General Forum”