Are you okay Heather?

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, Gillian, Chari910, catloveyes, fruitbat, Helen8, kjshd05, Marie

RoseannaLara

Are you okay Heather?

Post by RoseannaLara » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:42 am

Hi Heather,

I hope you are okay considering the extreme weather in Scotland. Luckily it isnt too bad at the moment here in Birmingham but they have forcast more snow on the way this evening.
Take good care,

Roseanna x

marilaine

Re: Are you okay Heather?

Post by marilaine » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:12 pm

Dude, come over to Corpus, where it's hot, then cold, then hot, then cold. Mother Nature is gonna wear out her thermostat.
~ML *boilingandfreezing*

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:17 pm

Fourteen inches of snow and counting!!
We're heading to Brighton tomorrow night, but it's supposed to be getting several inches of snow there as well! :-|
Hope your roads are clear and traffic light, Heather!

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:54 pm

I have just had to shovel snow for around half an hour just to make a path to get my bin out to the kerb [at least I hope it's the kerb!] for the collection tomorrow, I was also worried about the roof of my garden shed caving in with the weight of snow on it so I went and raked all of that off and not to mention the worry about being speared through the head by the massive hanging icicles falling off my roof when I step outside the front door.

But you know what is annoying me as well? Hello! Wake up Scotland! Every year it gets more and more like The Day After Tomorrow and people can't get to work, the schools are all closed and when I opened my curtains this morning someone had abandoned their car in the middle of the road because the roads haven't been ploughed and sanded, The Forth Road Bridge has been closed all day and I wouldn't like to even guess how long the detour home to Dunfermline took my sister after work. In my late teens I went skiing in Austria every winter, the kids go to school, the shops always have bread and milk and public transport runs on time, people fix snow chains on their car tyres or get to work on cross country ski's, their country has snow from about November to April and yet! They manage, we are pathtic in the UK as far as the weather is concerned.

Hope you are OK getting to work Roseanna, my Auntie lives in Poole in Dorset, they haven't seen anything much either. I have just watched the news and one in three trains are delayed or canceled, I am going to Edinburgh next Tuesday [hopefully]

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:15 pm

I was in London last year just before Christmas. We almost didn't get back home in time for the holidays. Strange to experience the country stopping up completely just because of a little snow. In Britain they call it "extreme weather", in Norway, we call it "winter".

In case I sound too cocky, I don't mean to... :oops:

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:02 pm

And here in Florida we think it being in the 50's is cold.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:14 pm

we had a total of 78 inches of snow last year

that was a record (since the time of recording such things)

This year should be much better (LESS snow that is)...

Mountains of snow was depressing after the Holidays

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:13 pm

thunder wrote:I was in London last year just before Christmas. We almost didn't get back home in time for the holidays. Strange to experience the country stopping up completely just because of a little snow. In Britain they call it "extreme weather", in Norway, we call it "winter".

In case I sound too cocky, I don't mean to... :oops:
I bet your news programmes aren't extended by 15mins either to tell you exactly how bad the weather is when you can just look out the window and see for yourself.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:38 pm

Uh, it's almost summer here in South America. So should I start complaining about the extremely hot weather? I just can’t live without air conditioning. Don't get me wrong, I love the summer but not when it gets too hot!

~me

Lisabella

Post by Lisabella » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:56 am

The snow doesn't stop since last monday. Hate it to drive around when the streets are so icy. Last week it took me 3 and a half hours to get home which normally takes half an hour :D I hate it. And my pets hate it too. I'm always running around catching the cats to avoid them going out.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:33 pm

Let me tell you something: I've never seen snow. Will someone send me some? :mrgreen:

~me

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:12 pm

You really haven't missed much. If course if you are into winter sports that's different.
After years of driving to work in ice and snow it was great to move to Florida where all we have is heat and humidity. Ugh!
Boy! You can't please me nohow.

Lisabella

Post by Lisabella » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Enough snow here so I could send you, Angel :D
I wouldn't say snow's always that bad. I love how it looks at night when it's silent outside and you can hier it crunching under your feet.^^
But grannybear is right, if you have to drive to work nothing's more annoying than snow and ice....

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:15 pm

It may sound odd that I celebrate Christmas in the summer. I'd like to know what it feels like to spend Christmas in the snow LOL!!
I wonder what Santa wears in a hot and humid climate- red shorts, a red t-shirt, and black sandals? ;-)

~me

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:59 am

It's been snowing for two days here now... I had to dig out my car this morning. I like snow, though. In december it's fine, not so much in April (or June, for that matter).