The Ubiquitous 'Should Jason be the new Doctor' Thread

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, Gillian, Chari910, fruitbat, catloveyes, Helen8, kjshd05, Marie

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

The Ubiquitous 'Should Jason be the new Doctor' Thread

Post by laurielove » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:39 am

To which the answer is, most sensibly, no. But why not bandy his name about too?

Not that I don't think he'd make a great Doctor, and it would be utterly brilliant to see what he did with it, but I think the role comes with so much baggage and expectation that it is probably not right at this stage of his career. I feel Jason's skill as an actor lies in his immense diversity and, as has been said so often, anonymity (although that has diminished somewhat in recent years with Awake and CH), or at least the sense of the actor as a blank canvas. The one thing Doctor Who will strip away from you as an actor is anonymity - I don't just mean as a person, but as a performer. There is so much projected onto the role by others which will inevitably carry through into other projects in viewers' heads ... it must be quite stifling. I'm not surprised Matt Smith has called it a day slightly earlier than his shelf-life as the Doctor warrants. Would Jason want it if he was offered it? I somehow doubt it, but, bloody hell, that would be a tough one to turn down.

Having said all that, I would love to see them go with someone older again. I don't mean like William Hartnell, but someone in their 40s or 50s.

Thoughts?

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Re: The Ubiquitous 'Should Jason be the new Doctor' Thread

Post by thunder » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:19 am

I wouldn't mind if he did it. It would mean steady work for him, and to be a bit selfish: We wouldn't have to worry that it was to be taken off air, or that we never get to see it. I've seen a lot of Doctor Who episodes, but I am no expert. So if he's too old, too young, to well known or not, I don't know... But I think it would be interesting

I thought these were some interesting thoughts.
http://clarinetgeek27.tumblr.com/post/5 ... e-the-next

:D

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:48 am

Hmm...Interesting. I've only really become interested in Dr. Who over the past few years starting with the Christopher Eccleston's reincarnation (not that I'm a huge fan of CE - I mean- he's a good actor - but I'm not ga-ga over him or anything). My father used to torture me with the older versions (which were on PBS when I was wee tadpole) and so I always resisted watching them. I'm just laying this out there because, in essence, my Dr. Who-watching experience is limited to the new Doctors so they have pretty much shaped my image of Dr. Who.

thunder, that was a good link. Thanks!

I'm on the fence about it to be honest and I have the same feeling every time someone mentions it (I also have it for Bond, not because I think he can't but for me it doesn't seem like it would be a comfortable fit). One the one hand, it would be a great gig and would give him HUGE recognition. And he'd be on our TVs on both sides of the Pond for a few years. But...personally, I have a hard time seeing him as the Doctor in my head. I don't doubt that he'd be unable to do it, I'm just not sure if the Doctor is the right fit for him-but that is just my own personal feeling. And my doubt might have to do with the fact that my personal experience is purely with the 2005 doctor and onward. Maybe it is because Matt Smith is practically manic, and I'm not sure how anyone could follow in his footsteps? lol. And I suppose it doesn't help that Jason seems to take so many very serious roles, but very rarely do we get to see him be a little lighter (Passionada and maybe Captain Hook, if you push it...oh, and I suppose Sweet November was a little lighter fare for him, because he didn't have to emote in the manner of Keanu, nor did his character die). Perhaps it is because Dr. Who gets a companion and I'm not sure how Jason's Dr would take to the companion? Would he treat her like his police detective partner or a house elf? lol. Just kidding.

I hate to say this outloud, because I might have rotting veggies thrown at me for daring to mention another man, but I have an easier time seeing Rufus Sewell as the new Doctor, simply because he can handle "quirky," and maybe that is why I can't see Jason as the Doctor. I don't know if he'd be comfortable at doing "quirky." And Sewell has had some quirky roles, such as Cold Comfort Farm.

Hmm...I suspect Jason would like his own gig where he is the lead, but there are really so many excellent ensemble shows out there, something like Rome, Game of Thrones, or the Americans, in which he would shine. Although if he did ever choose to pursue a GoT character, he should make sure to read the series (or up to the latest book) to make sure his potential character survives at least past one book (GRRM tends to have a high kill-rate of characters).

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:50 am

That's a great link, Thunder. Takk for det.

I'm now feeling all churlish for not enthusing more on the possibility of him being the new Doctor, but I stick by what I said. Although I do think he would make a fantastic Doctor and bring something entirely different to it - calmer, more controlled, more stable, but at the same time very intense and enigmatic with a rather freaky underlying psychotic streak. Ha! Why did I say that??!! That just slipped in there at the end. Ah well. I'll leave it.

A sort of Jackson Brodie crossed with James Hook Doctor. Now there's a thought.

And not an unpleasant one. At all.

*mind drifts*

Anyway, where was I ...?

Basically, playing the Doctor would be good for us, but not terribly good for him.

The Digital Spy thread on this is rather interesting and amusing. Jason gets a couple of mentions. :D Personally, I'm loving the idea of Boris Johnson! ::rofl :pig :loco ::rofl

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1832509

servalan

Post by servalan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:17 am

Dr Who has never occurred to me for Jason, and I have no idea why. Perhaps he just doesn't seem the type?

I remember all the doctors, and saw the very first episode with William Hartnell, who was a much older version. The age of the doctor seems to have been getting gradually younger in his most recent Russell T. Davies/Steven Moffat revival, so IMO an older man would be great. Or a woman. I wish they could make River Song into the new doctor, but I think her story arc is too defined to change her into him, plus it would mean that she was in love with her/himself! I had my doubts about Matt Smith, but was converted after the first couple of his episodes - I prefer him to David Tennant's Doctor, who was a bit too hyper for me. Matt reminds me of the early doctors such as Patrick Troughton, and dresses like a much older person than he is.

I think the ideal thing would be for Jason to have a part in a few episodes of Dr Who, in the way Derek Jacobi and John Simm did. In fact, there's your answer - he could be an incarnation of The Master! :D I think that would suit Jason very well, both as a character and as a chance to be in Dr Who without a long-term commitment, and much less of the associated intrusive publicity.

Way back when, a Time Lord was supposed only to be able to regenerate 12 times, making max 13 Doctors. This idea has obviously been quietly ditched, and the doctor can now live till there have been at least 50 of him. Matt is already no. 11.

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:57 pm

Hmmm, I really don't know about this.

Pro: of course he'd do a wonderful job
Con: in the grand scheme of his career would it be a great move?
Pro: I think he's been around too long for the role to be too stifling or limiting for him.
Con: anyone following any Doctor will have huge shoes to fill, (or in Matt's case, boots Image ).
Pro: the recognition would be fabulous, on both sides of the pond

I am an "easy" watcher of DW, that is to say, I am not too uptight about meeting certain requirements, as long as he is entertaining. I do think he needs to be a "he", though I can't quote canon to justify my opinion.

A friend posted this link on facebook. Bookmakers are already placing odds on the next Doctor Who actor No mention of Jason Isaacs, but Jason Statham is a 100/1 shot. Image

I have just convinced myself that I would be thrilled if he got this role, yet, not disappointed at all if he didn't.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:27 pm

Empire is having a vote for...
Jason is in the lead.
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=37695

ln419

Post by ln419 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:18 pm

Does anyone know IF Jason wants to be The Doctor? LN

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:08 am

He does not seem to be all that into SciFi - however he might be happy to have a steady job in England if he were offered the opportunity and the salary he and his family could live on.

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:56 am

Another factor, posted, because I am not working until later today. :D

I read somewhere, (in one of the many articles on casting the new Doctor) that it takes eight months to do the series. How does that compare with an American (regular network, not cable) series?

Considering DW has fewer episodes than most American network tv shows, the ratio of time spent working to time on my tv screen, factoring in hiatus time which could be used for movies and other projects, makes me think that DW is not mathematically the best option for Jason. And me. (And that's aside from whatever salary they could afford to pay him, which I would imagine would be less than the Americans could afford.)

However, a guest spot as a villain would be wonderful.

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:16 pm

In my itty-bitty opinion, seeing the wide variety of parts he does take, I'm not convinced that he always takes $$$ into account. To me, it seems that he takes the scripts that interest him. Since -again to me-it seems that more often than not BBC produced shows seem to have better quality (rather than sheer quantity) scripts than US regular broadcast (abc, cbs,nbc) it would seem that if he was interested and if they offered to him, it might not be such a bad gig for a few years. A chance to work on an internationally known & loved show with good script quality sounds pretty sweet to me (& I'm not an actor)! And while, I personally am on the fence about his "fit" with DW, I'd rather that he just be happy in his career & enjoy what he does-but I don't think that Himself should only accept roles because they pay him XX amount of dollars. He doesn't strike me as being so mercenary, but maybe I'm wrong...

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:04 pm

I agree, LS. I can't see it entering Mr I's head to accept a role or not based on money. Most actors are not in a position where they can be choosy about the roles they accept. Jason will be acutely aware that he was in this position once and, due to hard work, talent and considerable good fortune, he is now able to accept roles for reasons other than daily living. A role of any description in Doctor Who is a hard fought triumph for an actor - the competition for any appearance, even a minor one, will be fierce. I'm sure the actors who feature in it are immensely grateful for the exposure, affirmation and future prospects which can be gained from it, not to mention the fact that it must be a hell of a lot of fun to be a part of. Yes, wouldn't it be lovely if they all got paid oodles of money, but, if actors went into the profession for the money, there would be about a dozen people to play every role on the planet. Luckily for us, David Tennant and Matt Smith weren't too bothered about how much they were paid. And thank you, British licence fee payer, for continuing to fund the glory that is the BBC.

ln419

Post by ln419 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:54 pm

I don't know, Marie...He wasn't crazy about taking Lucius, or doing crime detective work, or even doing Awake...and somehow all those roles worked out pretty well for him. I'm gonna agree with LS and LL, I don't think he does it for the $, as long as there's food in the fridge (and face it, how much can THAT family eat compared to 4 growing boys???). Although Empire DOES seem to be the only place bantering his name about, I think he'd be a great DW, maybe for 3-4 episodes like in a 'dream sequence'. I think he gets shpilkies...um, erm oh: ants (not aunts) in his pants! I think it'd be hard for him to do a role for 8-9 years; I think he'd be bored to tears on an American series for that long; the writing just can't ever be top notch ALL the time. He could make it REALLY interesting and very much his own (as every Dr. has), but I'd love to see what he'd do with it! ln ;-)

revenante

Post by revenante » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:57 am

Just to reawaken this thread, given that the new Doctor will be announced on Sunday, here's a link to a page on the BBC News website giving the apparent front runners - no mention of Himself but I don't think that's wholly surprising (and so perhaps I shouldn't be posting this on a JI message board...) :dunce

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23537948

Personally I'd love to see Peter Capaldi in the role - or what a great plot twist it would be to bring Rose (Billie Piper) back as the first female Doctor! I agree with previous suggestions that a part for JI as a (sexy *oops, sorry mods, it's a hot Friday afternoon here*) villain could be good but I have never seen him as the Doc myself.

Usual apologies if any of you lovely ladies can't see the page... (I'm a technoprat, remember).

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:54 am

I am a huge Peter Capaldi fan; I would love it to be him.

I also would like to see Jason make a guest appearance on the show. Doctor Who is an institution in the UK, and gradually becoming one in Canada and the US; both countries now air episodes on the same day that they are broadcast in the UK. If Sir Ian McKellen can be in the show, (well, his voice was), then Jason can, too. But not just his voice, please.

It appears my second paragraph was a preemptive defence against any comment that might suggest this show is beneath him. Image