An interesting assertion re: Botox (Washington Post)

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, Gillian, Chari910, fruitbat, catloveyes, Helen8, kjshd05, Marie

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

An interesting assertion re: Botox (Washington Post)

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon May 22, 2006 3:10 pm

The Washington Post on Sunday included a story reporting the results of an admittedly very small-scale study to determine whether Botox treatments produced a corollary effect on self-reported depression.

"Botox Appears to Ease Depression Symptoms

By Shankar Vedantam
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, May 21, 2006; Page A09

Kathleen Delano had suffered from depression for years. Having tried psychotherapy and a number of antidepressant drugs in vain, she resigned herself to a life of suffering.

Then she tried Botox, the drug that became a rage a few years ago for smoothing out facial wrinkles.

In 2004, her physician injected five shots of the toxin into the muscles between Delano's eyebrows so that the Glenn Dale woman could no longer wrinkle her brow. Eight weeks later, according to a unusual study published this month, her depression had lifted.

"I didn't wake up the next morning and say, 'Hallelujah, I am well, I am healed,' " she said in an interview, but she noticed changes. "I found myself able to do the things I hadn't been doing. I feel I broke out of the shackles of depression to be in the mood to go out, to reconnect with people."

The pilot study of 10 patients is the first to provide empirical support for what a number of clinicians say they have noticed anecdotally: People who get their furrowed brows eliminated with Botox (botulinum toxin A) often report an improvement in mood."

Article continues: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00979.html