Lost Girls survey

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Lost Girls survey

Post by thunder » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:36 pm

I did some house keeping and moved Hotel Mumbai and Skyfire to the library. I'm trying to not have too many movies on the front page at the same time, so we don't have to scroll too much. The library is getting very full, and all of Jason's unforgettable and forgettable projects are in there. Everything from Harry Potter to pilots that wasn't made into series.

So I'm thinking about making a "Lost Girls Favorites "subforum where we can have all of Jason's most known and beloved projects. So we can find them easier, and promote them better on the board. Like a second library, but only with our favorites. The new movies will still be on the front page, but it will be a place to put our favorite movies/series when they aren't "new" anymore. (because I couldn't bring my self to move The OA to the library.)

So I think: The OA, Harry Potter, Star Trek (?), The Death of Stalin
Do you have any suggestions?

It has to be well known films/series (for us, not necessarily the general public), that Jason has a quite decent sized part in, and that we generally like very well.

Anniemouse

Re: Lost Girls survey

Post by Anniemouse » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:33 pm

Brotherhood. Case Histoies. Good. The Pariot. Event Horizon. Peter Pan. Scars. After The Fall. The Fix. Nine Lives. Awake.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:38 pm

The OA, HP, Peter Pan, The Patriot, Case Histories, Awake, ST Discovery, Black Hawk Down, Death of Stalin and especially Mass to me are some of his best.

I liked Passionada, Divorcing Jack and Event Horizon but I don’t consider them in the Best category. Perhaps we need a pinned list that advises new fans of what some of his noteworthy projects are even if they were not great movies or shows overall.

There are many like Sweet November, Skeletons, Armageddon, The Fix, that fans should definitely go out of their way to watch but for one reason or another I don’t consider them worthy of “the best” title.
Scars was a great performance but very difficult to watch.

Some of the projects had rolls so small that I would hardly suggest folks spend a lot of time and effort to see the movie or show. Jason always put in a top notch performance but not enough of him in the film. The Tuxedo is a perfect example. (But I’d watch it for Jackie Chan’s performance alone!). He has a lot of films in this category.

thunder

Post by thunder » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:11 am

We have to be selective, I was thinking top 5-7 movies/series to begin with. If we put too many movies in there, we lose the point of creating a "favorites forum". We can't put anything in there that we watched and liked.

New movies will still be on the "front page", I'm not ready to move Mass yet. It's an "old favorites"

Based on the feed back so far, I think:
Harry Potter
The OA
Case Histories
Brotherhood
Star Trek Discovery
The Death of Stalin

Awake? (Is it easy to access in where you are? I can't find anywhere to watch it (legally) in Norway)

Mass will go in there, but it's not old enough yet

The older movies like The Patriot, Peter Pan and Event Horizon don't have subforums, only topics. We can put the topics in there, but people coming here looking for information about them won't find that much. We have talked about them a lot, but it's spread around on all kinds of topics and different subforums.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:38 am

I have not seen Awake. Or the OA or The Escorial Conspiracy. All on my wish list.

Is Dragonheart an option?.

Also anyone know why Jason got a thank yyou credit on the movie Crash?.

thunder

Post by thunder » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:30 am

We don't have a subforum for Dragonheart, since it's from before the board was created. And while I like the movie, I have the impression that most of us wouldn't mention it if we were asked about our top 5 Jason projects. I can be wrong, though. :mrgreen:

I think Jason was thanked for Crash because he had a scene in it that was cut out of the final movie. He's only in it for about 5 seconds. I will recommend the movie anyway, it's quite good. I even showed it to some students some years ago and they liked it too.

servalan

Post by servalan » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:21 am

Don't forget Dangerous Lady. Jason has one of the two main parts in that - he is definitely the male lead. It's an early example of Jason's ability to play a complete range of emotions, sometimes just from the look in his eyes.

Re Crash : the opening scene for Crash has Jason in vague silhouette speaking to Don Cheadle, but you can't really see him. The rest of his part was cut.

ETA: I found it on Youtube. You can see it's Jason, but it's very brief. It's at the end of the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZopkHLj_-Q

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:12 am

Thank you for posting that. Yes you can tell it is him. and his voice is easy to spot. Great to think he has been in an Oscar winning movie.
Last edited by Anniemouse on Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:47 pm

I agree with all the titles listed above. And definitely Dangerous Lady. He was spectacular in that. :adore

Marie

Post by Marie » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:51 pm

I would not include Dragonheart in the top movies. Fine to watch but not in my top 10 for Jason. Dangerous Lady was a good early series for him - great project to include.

Wish you all could see the OA. Great mind blowing project!! Have to love a talking octopus (I wonder if that is where Resident Alien got the idea for 42 from?). I wish the OA had gotten larger audiences - it generated a lot of buzz on social media and a lot of people were gutted (including me 😢) that it did not get another season.

Awake is great but we warned Jason after we saw the pilot (at ComicCon San Diego I think) that American audiences for the most part don’t like to have to think. Awake really required a lot of thought and concentration to follow what was going on. Personally I loved it, but I knew it was not going to make it on network TV. That was a year where Jason was asked to do a lot of pilots and he had to select what he most wanted to do. There were a number of pilots he turned down that ended up being successful with the actors who got the lead roles in the pilots after Jason passed. The TV and Movie industries are strange animals - you just never know what is going to be successful.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:36 am

OOh what were the other pilot's?. Jason obviously likes following his own muse. I agree with Dangerous Lady, great series.

Marie

Post by Marie » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:58 am

Jason has never said what the other pilots were in public so I don’t want to say what they were. One year he was so in demand almost ever lead male role in various pilots were offered to him. But Jason does not like to do boring procedural stuff- so he did not want to do that kind of role. I respect him for that. He likes to keep his work interesting.

servalan

Post by servalan » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:38 pm

Awake was great. It had shades of the UK John Simm series Life on Mars, with alternate realities. It's a shame it was never sold to the UK. I remember UK fans kept some old North American series going with the BBC helping to fund them e.g. Due South, Cagney & Lacey.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:51 pm

Well I never knew that about Due South and Cagney and Lacey.

I tried to get the DVD of Awake but it is not longer available. Never seen it on TV here in the UK.

The impression I get with Jason ( I could be wrong) is that he would rather be in something interesting (Awake OA) and be happy than be in a massive hit with a cast he cannot get on with and tied into a contract for years.
In movie terms I wonder if he see many of his contemporaries and their mega success and is relieved he can go to the cinema/walk down the street/supermarket without hassle and that Emma and the kids have a normal life.

servalan

Post by servalan » Sun May 01, 2022 4:27 am

He has frequently said that he travels on the tube with his Oyster card, and doesn't get recognised.

I think he likes to be in things that interest him. He's lucky that he keeps getting offered things so he can pay the bills without having to take something he would rather not.

Return to “General Forum”