Windtalkers

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

ibelong2me

Windtalkers

Post by ibelong2me » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:56 am

Windtalkers
Time - 21:00 - 23:35 (2 hours and 35 minutes long)
When - Sunday 19th November on five

World War II drama in which two frontline US marines utilise an ancient language for communication in order to prevent the Japanese from cracking their codes, an operation that must be kept secret - at any cost.
Director: John Woo

Starring: Nicolas Cage, Adam Beach, Peter Stormare, Noah Emmerich, Mark Ruffalo, Brian Van Holt
(2002, 15, 3 Star)

Thanks to you guys I had seen Jason linked to this film as the character Major Mellitz! Shall be watching it, is his role not big enough to warrent a name as 'starring'?? lol :D
Last edited by ibelong2me on Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:52 pm

Sadly, if you've seen the theatrical trailer, you've seen Jason's role--in toto.
He has a cameo of about 1 minute, giving Nic Cage the low-down, and then he disappears.
Some people have made disparaging comments about his costume, and the fact that summer khaki is not his best colour--but hey, it was the uniform! I think he looks pretty sharp.
I DIDN'T, on the other hand, enjoy the rest of the movie very much--it includes pretty well every World War II movie cliche you can think of. The story of the Windtalkers themselves is novel and interesting, but not well integrated with the rest of the film, which I also found very confusingly shot--half the time I just couldn't figure out what the hell was going on (not that I really cared).
I found it notable on two other counts, though--it also stars Adam Beach, my homey--he comes from near Winnipeg. This is the first movie in which he appeared with short hair; he said he felt really odd about cutting it. He hasn't been in a whole lot since Windtalkers, though he seems to play essentially the same role in this year's Flags of Our Fathers or whatever it's called. I find him adorable.

The other is that this is one of no fewer than 3 movies in which Jason Isaacs appears with the delightful Peter Stormare. Stormare appears in lots of the Coen brothers stuff, and we keep hoping somebody might drop a hint to them--I for one would kill to see Jason Isaacs in something like The Big Lebowski or O Brother Where Art Thou.

ibelong2me

Post by ibelong2me » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:39 pm

Ah darn it, thanks for saying though. If I had stayed up so late and then at the credits realised that was it for JI's character...I'd have not been happy to say the least! :D

Had a feeling this film wouldn't be the best thing, and Nicolas Cage's films I've never been fond of in the past...must not complain, better than nothing I guess! Just had hoped Jason would have had more screen time. But on the up side, seems I am picking up things from this website/forum and remembering them! ;-)

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:43 pm

:mrgreen: Glad to be of service, Rose!
And speaking of service, if you want to see what you missed, check out Char's excellent website, featuring the very best in caps and clips: http://www.jasonisaacsphotoalbumsonline.com/index.html (Click on "links" at the side to see her other photo sites, with the Windtalkers stash)

ibelong2me

Post by ibelong2me » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:42 am

Jason's scene seemed to be relatively early on in the film so I didn't miss it! I still find it odd to hear him speak in an American accent, am glad I waited for that scene...and very glad I didn't have to sit through the rest. ;-)

DhaniGrrrrl

Post by DhaniGrrrrl » Tue May 20, 2008 6:23 pm

This movie will be on SPIKE this weekend, on Saturday at 9am and early Sunday at 1am...

Now that I know that Jason only has a brief appearance near the beginning of the film, I may not be watching the whole thing! :D

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Tue May 20, 2008 8:35 pm

That's pretty much what I do, DG. I can only take Nicholas Cage in small doses.

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Wed May 21, 2008 10:11 am

Thanks for the 4-1-1. I'll have to miss it, because I'll eather be sleeping (work days), or it won't be on(that's been known to happen down here.).
But aren't his scenes limited? :???: ~marilaine :cool:

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Wed May 21, 2008 12:23 pm

his role in Wind Talkers happens at the beginning, he explains the
whole plot, and then, that's it...Lasts maybe 5 minutes??

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Thu May 22, 2008 10:40 am

I was afraid of that.....same sitch with 'Elektra', if I remember correctly....and of course, he is killed. iBourquerilla! :-( ~marilaine :cool: (and the way he dies in Event Horizon.....I still hate Sam Neill for that.)

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Thu May 22, 2008 11:08 am

Jason doesn't have much screen time but, hmmm....his brief appearance near the beginning of the film...worthy watching.

(I must confess, I haven't seen the whole movie).

~me

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Thu May 22, 2008 8:53 pm

Guess I'll set the VCR for 1/2 hour and let it go at that.

a.p.k.

Post by a.p.k. » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:56 am

Found a chunk of the movie on youtube, and Mr. I's scene starts at about the 7-minute mark through to the end, and then in the next clip (labeled "part 3") he's just in the first 10 seconds.

Just in case anyone else, like me, doesn't have access to the video. Or to a TV altogether to find it on latenight, for that matter.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/znViMzz8GWo?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/znViMzz8GWo?fs ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:14 am

*fanning herself*

Oh God, I just love that man in uniform!!!! :oops:

QUE DELÍCIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~me

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:11 am

Not worth buying the movie for his short scene. Idiot directors never give Jason enough screne time...... :bat

Return to “Jason Isaacs's Film, TV and Theatre Library”