Jason to appear in "Stopping Power"

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, Gillian, Chari910, fruitbat, catloveyes, Helen8, kjshd05, Marie, LadyLucius

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:36 pm

Yeah, 'cause there's no alliteration.

Oops! I missed der joke machen. :oops:

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:05 pm

I'm also sometimes known as Hil the Obscure.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:41 pm

Thinking about this project some more, I guess it does actually sort of follow a pattern: true-to-type "big" Hollywood movie followed by something more esoteric: Divorcing Jack to Armageddon; Soldier to The End of the Affair; The Patriot to Sween Norverber; Black Hawk Down to Passionada; Lucius Malfoy, de facto Nazi, to Maurice Gluckstein, Jewish psychoanalyst.

Shooting in Germany's kind of an interesting choice. . . wonder if they wanted to incorporate some footage of the Autobahn? (Ooh JI on the Autobahn. . . :uhoh yikes)

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:44 pm

I was just gonna plunk this in here, but coming off that last conversation, it was a little like driving along and suddenly throwing your car into 'Park'.

Anywho.

Empire Online weighs in on Stopping Power ...

Isaacs and George Board Stopping Power

Everybody should love Jason Isaacs and Melissa George. He is one of the nicest, funniest people you could ever hope to meet and has never, to our recollection, been bad in anything, even when the movie around him is sucking like a toothless hooker with a bus to catch. And she, though never having had a lead role in anything you'd describe as better than average, always seems sweet and deserves to be a lot bigger than she is. So it's with mixed feelings that we announce that the pair have joined the latest film from Jan De Bont, Stopping Power.

De Bont was once director of the greatest action movie of the nineties. Speed, of course. Since then he's been frantically trying to undo all the good will gained from that movie and been doing a grand old job of it. When we heard he was making Meg, the story of a giant shark (it probably had more plot than that, but we drifted off into revels of boats being eaten whole at that point) we thought that might be his return to great fun action cinema. But then that went down the pooper.

Stopping Power doesn't have anything like as grabby a plot, being the story of a man racing to rescue his kidnapped daughter. And yet. And yet, it does have hope. The film already has John Cusack signed for the lead and Cusack doesn't generally sign on for any old rubbish. Please, Mr De Bont, take a lead from your cast and try to be really good this time. You're better than The Haunting, you know you are.
Olly Richards

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=20998

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:51 pm

Curse you, Hil! I hit submit just as you posted.
(Ooh JI on the Autobahn. . . yikes)
Great. Just what ole Lead Foot needs.

lyra70

Post by lyra70 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:10 pm

The only way I'd have any hope for this film is if Jason's scene-stealing villain gets Cusack's girlfriend to fall for him throughout the chase. Then it will be like the Badlands or that Kevin Costner movie where he kidnaps a little boy who ends up liking Kevin, or something like that. Is it Cusack's girlfriend or daughter in the RV?? Either way, if the kidnapped victim actually grows fond of Jason throughout the pursuit, then that would be interesting.

Otherwise...I just don't know.

AussieJo

Post by AussieJo » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:00 pm

Hilary the Touched wrote:Thinking about this project some more, I guess it does actually sort of follow a pattern: true-to-type "big" Hollywood movie followed by something more esoteric: Divorcing Jack to Armageddon; Soldier to The End of the Affair; The Patriot to Sween Norverber; Black Hawk Down to Passionada; Lucius Malfoy, de facto Nazi, to Maurice Gluckstein, Jewish psychoanalyst.
That's what a lot of actors do: a moofie that pays the bills, then a moofie or two that they're passionate about but would only have limited appeal, then another moofie that pays the bills, then another "labour of love", and so on...

AussieJo

Post by AussieJo » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:02 pm

lyra70 wrote:The only way I'd have any hope for this film is if Jason's scene-stealing villain gets Cusack's girlfriend to fall for him throughout the chase. Then it will be like the Badlands or that Kevin Costner movie where he kidnaps a little boy who ends up liking Kevin, or something like that. Is it Cusack's girlfriend or daughter in the RV?? Either way, if the kidnapped victim actually grows fond of Jason throughout the pursuit, then that would be interesting.

Otherwise...I just don't know.
Stockholm Sydnrome as a plot device? Hmmmm......

And I think the only hope for this moofie would be to have it not directed by Jan De Bont for starters.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:27 am

from IMDB, Jan De Bont and John Cusack are currently filming in
Amsterdam. Here is a link:

http://www.nieuwnieuws.nl/archives/2007 ... _adam.html

I think the site is in Dutch, but there is a video. I could not get the video to work, but it may for someone else. If anyone sees the video, please let us know what it was about, and if Mr Jason is present...THANX

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:06 am

No Jason, sorry. It's all of John Cusack. He's in a track suit and spends most of the time standing around and stretching out.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:54 am

WHoooo! Hold me back!

Sorry, I'm being sarcastic.
For the first time.
Thanks for the sleuthing though Kim!

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:25 pm

Sorry, I'm being sarcastic.
For the first time.
:roll:

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:36 pm

Double :roll:

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:35 pm

If you really want to see John Cusack stretching and in a grey track suit,
here is the link, for Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GXrsu6NBVo

Thanx to Lady Lucius, who found this. I still can't get the video from the website to work...Servalan did, and explained the video before I saw the Youtube one...LOL..

It's filmed from above, and I think it's some girls cell phone...
You hear lots of "Dutch" language, I am thinking that's what they are
talking...

Any who, it's a FIRST LOOK at this movie....

Now, let's hope a FAN will film some lovely JI video
in BERLIN

lyra70

Post by lyra70 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:43 am

Stockholm Sydnrome as a plot device? Hmmmm......
See, that sounds way too intelligent for Jan De Bont, so my sinking feeling is it's just gonna be Speed in an RV.

I guess I should be glad it's a higher profile role for him but the interviews and articles will all be about Jason playing the villain and all that, then recalling the whole Patriot/Peter Pan/Harry Potter thing. Again.

I saw the trailer for a new movie with Colin Firth and Jim Broadbent called "When Did You Last See Your Father" and while I really do love Colin, I wish Jason could have done something like it. So I guess I'll just have to go back to imagining him in various roles instead. SIGH.