Chumscrubber in Meg's Top Ten

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

fruitbat

Chumscrubber in Meg's Top Ten

Post by fruitbat » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:56 pm

Hi,

Are any of you familiar with the "Boyfriend of the week" website? (Wait, before you get all excited; no, Jason is not the boyfriend of the week, nor has he ever been according my search in the site's archives.) (':huh')

It's an amusing site where a woman named Meg Wood lists, well, a boyfriend a week, (though it has not been that frequent for many months.)

She also lists her favourite books and films.

I found this today:

Favorite GOOD Movies Seen in 2007

9. The Chumscrubber (2005)

I will try to provide the link:

http://www.megwood.com/

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:39 pm

Interesting website. Thanks, fruitbat!

I must say though, that Chumscrubber still remains on my list as of yet unseen, but still to be watched Jason flicks. Perhaps now that Christmas is past and things have slowed down, I'll be able to make the time.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:57 pm

Thank, Fruitbat! (Nice posting of a link, by the way! ;-) )
That is kind of an interesting choice--I thought it was a pretty decent flick, but a lot of reviewers snubbed it as a diluted version of Donnie Darko (which I haven't seen). So it's a bit 'under the radar'.

Gillian, it's turning up on the tube more often just lately . . .

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Fri May 23, 2008 10:13 am

I just so happened to find this one at a pawn shop here in Corpus.....
the kid who plays Jason's character's son, Lee (Lou Taylor Pucci), is in another movie that comes out every so often, 50 Pills. Makes me wonder if it isn't a sequel..... :???: ~marilaine

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:01 pm

I finally watched Chumscrubber. I guess that everyone else, (the “Jason Oldies” as opposed to “Jason newbies”), knows that he appears only briefly. I did know that, but it had been recommended by “Meg” so I went ahead and bought it.

Jamie Bell was very good, I always love Allison Janney and have had a strange thing for William Fichtner ever since seeing him on Grace Under Fire. Glenn Close, however, seemed to be channeling her Stepford Wives character for much of the film. Ralph Fiennes was merely bizarre.

I didn’t enjoy this movie, but then disaffected suburban youths aren’t my thing. It was depressing and made me feel old.

malfoygrandma

Fruitbat's assessment of Chumscrubbers

Post by malfoygrandma » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:43 am

:cool: Dear Batty as me, I totally agree with your critique of Jason's movie, Chumscrubbers! It is one of those self-indulgent Hollywood drug scene type things that gives glamor to the "poor kids of the upper middle class who just have to take drugs and torment each other and their parents for working hard and trying to do things right." A bunch of drug sucking babies not yet off the bottle! I hated it! But loved seeing Jason anyhow, and seeing him always makes it worth the cost of a stupid film, and having it available to watch by skipping the other scenes just to look for his! Thanks, Fruitbat. :mrgreen:

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:37 am

This is an okay film. Not exactly "top tier", as Mr. Parker keeps pointing out to his son, Lee. :roll:
(Kind of frightening how William Fichtner's in nearly every movie with Jason. :stalker )
~M'L :cool:

Foodie

Post by Foodie » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:29 pm

I just finished watching this movie, and I rather liked it. It was fun seeing so many familiar faces in one movie. The music and the whole suburbia aspect really reminded me of Edward Scissorhands. All in all, I thought it was a really good movie.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:44 pm

I watched this a couple of weeks ago, and I thought it was pretty good, amazing ensemble. It reminded me a bit about American Beauty, but it wasn't quite as "dark" and had more humour (and less sexual content). And it was told from the teenager's point of view.
Foodie, I didn't think about Edward Scissorhands before I read your comment, and you are absolutely right :D

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:58 pm

I'd like some brownies please.....

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:27 pm

All in all I didn't care for the movie but enjoyed Jason. A completely different role for him.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:14 pm

The thing that shocked me in the movie was when the kids were about to do something wrong, they would tell their parents, "It's for school." and the parents bought it every time! :roll:

Return to “Jason Isaacs's Film, TV and Theatre Library”