Jason's Entourage ep?

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:49 pm

What I am opposed to is the inhumain treatment of animals - being kept in small stalls and cages, being ill fed or force fed, and slaughtered in a painful way.

Her point it well taken though. It's Proposition 2 here in California.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:03 pm

We had a proposition here in Florida a couple of years ago that everyone laughed at. It was about keeping calves in small pens for the purpose of keeping them small for veal. It passed. Maybe it started a trend.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:55 am

Grannybear - might you be thinking about the Pig in Crates initiative. It was to prevent the use of small crates for gestating sows. It did pass (though Florida was laughed at) and it did start or continue a movement towards legislation to promote humane animal farming methods.

Helen - I hope Prop 2 passes!

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:44 am

WHOOPS.....Sorry Marie. I think you are right. It was for pigs, but couldn't it be used for all animals?

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:49 am

I hope Prop 2 passes!

I'll let you know, Marie, in case it doesn't make the national news.

Marie

Post by Marie » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:46 pm

I think you are right. It was for pigs, but couldn't it be used for all animals?
No unfortunately - it dealt with a specific crate built to prevent mother pigs from rolling over on their piglets. This was not out of kindness to the piglets but to make more money. The sow was kept in a crate so small it could not move - very cruel.

I am totally against the practise of keeping any kind of animal in a small enclosure. One of the many reasons I will not eat veal. When I buy eggs I pay extra for the cage free chicken eggs.

Not everyone feels the same way and I respect people not wanting to pay more for their groceries. The only real way to change is to support the producers of humane farming products.

wolfsaver

Post by wolfsaver » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:17 pm

:D Wow-is this off topic, or what? (But, Marie, I totally agree with you.)

Marie

Post by Marie » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:18 pm

Yea - it's pretty off topic and I'm a mod here so I should know better!!!

I've been waiting for Gil to smack me in the head...... :bat

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:06 pm

Why would I do that? A thread will always evolve as different people contribute. The only time I'd (personally) say anything is like with the introduction thread--which serves a specific function, or if people were to start getting inappropriate.

Other than that ... hey, knock yourselves out. :D

Marie

Post by Marie » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:18 am

Gillian you and Hilary are #1 webmoms in my book!!! :D

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:19 am

Laissez-faire are us.

As long as we're being off-topic, my gratitude to Gillian who is mostly a single parent just lately . . .
Can't speak for many sports, but I do know a bit about soccer equipment, as DH's crappy catalogues pass through my hands on their way to the recycling. A lot of that stuff, even the really high-end, is made mostly or exclusively of synthetics--balls, shoes, even goalie gloves.
I've kind of got issues with that--anytime you're working with petroleum products, you're introducing pollutants and potentially dangerous extraction/transfer/processing procedures.
I'm not that troubled by leather products from cattle--as long as this country has a huge thriving beef market, there will be hides. If they're not used for leather, they've got to be disposed of some other way. (Though especially with cheaper imported leathers, there are gross pollutants involved in tanning etc.)
I do object to raising animals in unpleasant surroundings exclusively to harvest their fur. I don't think anyone needs that, and their deaths serve no other purpose. Small indigenous groups who take small numbers of wild animals for traditional purposes is one thing, Blackglama strikes me as entirely another.
I also think as long as we regard ourselves as beings of higher ethical development, we have an absolute obligation to these creatures to treat them as humanely as possible: give them space, allow them as many natural behaviours as is feasible, avoid causing pain.

Leather'll keep the wind out, but DH's leather jacket is a bit chilly for me! Michael's looks so yummy on him it trumps all other considerations for me!
(How's that for a circular post??)

Marie

Post by Marie » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:41 am

Way to get back to the topic of Jason Hil!!!

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:49 pm

It's a slow night at work so I did some googling and found this:

click for the pic

Apologies is this has been posted before: I did a quick check.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:58 pm

I love the pic *thud*

~me

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:12 pm

Don't know if it was posted before but if it was it's just as interesting the second time around. Thanks

Return to “Jason Isaacs's Film, TV and Theatre Library”