Passionada

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Millie J. O. Barreto

Passionada

Post by Millie J. O. Barreto » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:35 pm

Last edited by Millie J. O. Barreto on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:45 pm

Passionada is my hands down favorite of Jason's movies for a silly reason. I was born in New Bedford Massachusetts and watching the movie feels like I'm home again!!! Besides I did really love the movie itself!

My next favorite movie (or my favorite before Passionada came out) is Divorcing Jack. I'd go on about it (there is a lot to love in that movie) but I have a few short hours to get an impossible amount of work done and I need to get back to work. But later I'll gush about Divorcing Jack.

Cheers & Welcome,
Marie

Pr

Post by Pr » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:47 am

I admit i'm not much in romantic comedies...Too old for this, maybe ? No, even younger ...Never liked Pretty Woman...

I bought Passionata, well..you know why. Come on, I even watch Dragonheart -with my kids, it's a good excuse i found appropriate ! - And i bought that one for Thwelis, see how tragic it is !!

Going back to Passionata... The script is not very good, and every little pleasure is due to the actors. The Jaze is very sweet and touching, even if i wasn't a fan i would have to admit this. And Sofia Milos is impressive too.

I understand Jason needed to get out of bad guys characters for a change, but i'm sure he deserves much better films...And i warn the Hair dresser of this set : if he (she) ever cross my path, i'll probably kick him (her) where he (she) deserves !

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:26 pm

I tend to agree with you about the hair, Précieuse. I don't know why there's an aversion to using his own, as I find it quite attractive and perfectly suitable for modern roles. Obvious exceptions would be for Malfoy, Hook, and Tavington of course, where length dictates a wig, but in cases like Passionada or Tuxedo, it comes across as quite artificial.

And for the record I hated the shaved look in Black Hawk Down. Only a few men can pull off bald and unfortunately he's not one of them.

Favorite look -- the fashion shoot for Hugo Boss. Much love to the photographer for that one.

Marie

Post by Marie » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:36 pm

That was a very tasty look Gillian!!!

Must agree the wigs in Passionada and Tuxedo were not very appealing. I have a tendancy to look more at the eyes and focus less on hair - but both were quite distracting. I just thought the story was very sweet - was not crazy about the Emmy/daughter part of the story - but I adored the love story. And of course I was smitten by the sights of New Bedford (home sweet home!)

His hair right now is just perfect - could not be any better!!!! Great length for him!

Cheers,
Marie

Minuet

Post by Minuet » Mon May 29, 2006 6:56 pm

And for the record I hated the shaved look in Black Hawk Down. Only a few men can pull off bald and unfortunately he's not one of them

I thought he looked good with the shaved head, but I prefer his natural short dark hair.

I love this movie. Not because it's that great a romantic comedy, althought it does well enough, but because The Food Scene is so incredibly erotic and just lovely to watch, and because the commentary is simply delightful. I don't know when I've enjoyed a movie's commentary as much as I did this one. You can really tell that Dan, Jason, and Sofia liked and respected each other and really loved making this movie together. :cool:

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon May 29, 2006 7:54 pm

Amen!

It's not the world's greatest movie--Emmy Rossum's youth is pretty evident, the plot is...not altogether believable, and some of the dialogue is just goofy.
But JI just shines in this, and they sound like they had a great time making it.

Marie

Post by Marie » Tue May 30, 2006 7:16 am

Emmy and Sofia have both received great opportunities since Passionada (CSI Miami, Phantum, Posidon - OK I'm not saying they were good projects but good exposure!) Where is Jason's opportunity for good exposure? Well I suppose Peter Pan was an opportunity doused by Disney's departure.

Minuet

Post by Minuet » Tue May 30, 2006 10:26 am

Well, Harry Potter is pretty big. And let's not forget that Jason and Jason Clark are essentially going to carry "Brotherhood". That's a pretty big opportunity.

More importantly, I think, is the fact that Jason works regularly. That says a lot. :under

Marie

Post by Marie » Tue May 30, 2006 12:27 pm

Jason's role in Harry Potter is very minor. Although the role captivates many people - I don't find it to be a very good showcase for his talents as an actor. Yes a lot of people "discovered" Jason becaus of HP but most people I know (not members of the Jason Boards) do not not realize who is playing the role. When I tell them I like the actor Jason Isaacs the vast majority say who? - and when I tell them he was Lucius Malfoy in Harry Potter - they nod that they know him now but they could run over the man and not know who he is. So I still say - he should get a break out role!!!

I'd feel better about Brotherhood if it were on Network TV - Showtime has a limited viewership (just look at how many folks have said they now need to sign up - and how many folks are already crying that they need someone to tape it for them because they can't afford to get showtime.) Don't know yet what kind of day/time slot Showtime is giving this show - we'll see how well it does - hopefully it will get good reviews!

Minuet

Post by Minuet » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:03 pm

Jason's role in Harry Potter is very minor. Although the role captivates many people - I don't find it to be a very good showcase for his talents as an actor.
Well, then...playing Captain Hook in "Peter Pan" would certainly meet those criteria. It's a major role in a big-budget movie, and it certainly showcases Jason's many talents. :D

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:48 pm

Yeah, but I think the biggest problem with Peter Pan (and one of our biggest gripes here on the boards) was that it got very limited publicity. Considering the budget and the fact that it took almost a year to film, you'd have expected a lot more advertising, especially of such a beloved classic. The TV trailer was almost non-existant up until several weeks before it's theatrical release and in fact a lot of people were completely unaware until I mentioned it.
Last edited by Gillian on Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

snape

Post by snape » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:08 am

I don't know why, but most of the movies Jason played in, were NOT known, had no big success...

Exept The Patriot. Well, HP you cannot mention, as you said, the role is minor. But as a great Alan Rickman Fan, it often happens to me the same... Who the hell is AR, aaahhh Professor Snape, aaahhh Sheriff of Nottingham, yes, now I remember....
And AR made a lot of movies.

I think there is also a big part of luck, if you become famous or not. Look at Kevin Costner or Bruce Willies... sorry... for me they are NOT good actors, but they were lucky, simply...

But perhaps Jason should choose more his characters to play... not accept if they offer him AGAIN the irish gangster... you know what I mean? Even if he likes to play it. Otherwise you need money... well...

And Harry Potter is not a Challenge, it is a Plattform to present theirselves. If you look, it is PLENTY with good and well known actors.

UUUps, have to work again....

Yours Snape

Marie

Post by Marie » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:09 am

aaahhh Sheriff of Nottingham
I've seen most of Alan Rickman's movies being a fan myself (even saw Closetland - very hard to find that one!) and for shear enjoyment I adore his role in Robin Hood. Of course he acted circles around Kevin Costner (not hard to do!)

Cheers,
Marie

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:11 pm

I always tell people that he's the bad guy from The Patriot, and then follow up with Lucius Malfoy. Seems to do the job nicely.

As for a break out role, I think he's right on the verge. Right now he is memorable which in itelf is huge, he's just not on fire. Besides, well written high profile roles don't seem to reign in abundance these days. To strike big, a movie has needs to be stellar in all areas-- production, story, casting, promotion and funding. Theres only so much a single actor can do for a film. Jason has an advantage though-he's never wasted a moment of opportunity; he's never been criticized for a poor role in an otherwise well received film. Have any of you ever seen an outwardly poor review of Jason's work?

But I also really enjoy him in the independant roles. Some of these films are rather stimulating, and its nice to have a place to start when choosing what to see.

Return to “Jason Isaacs's Film, TV and Theatre Library”