Tennis, Anyone? DVD now listed at Amazon (U.S.)

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Tennis, Anyone? DVD now listed at Amazon (U.S.)

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:43 pm

though with a projected shipping delay of 4-6 weeks...
Thanks to Vicki for the reminder!
Last edited by Hilary the Touched on Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:24 am

I think I'll wait a few weeks and just go on an ordering spree. Chum, 9 Lives and Tennis. Perhaps the extended Patriot. I'm torn - sometimes a bit of a wait will get the used ones for a few dollars.

sheerin

Post by sheerin » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:12 am

At the weekend I watched Tennis, anyone ...? Omg. If you have Johnny Green as your friend, you need no enemies. He is a combination of all bad characters Jason ever played.

The scene as Enterainter on stage ... I hate this scene. And I have to put all my love for Jason together for loving him after this film.

But afterall I love this film. Jason in top form.

If everyone hates Tavington ... Johnny Green is much worse than him.

Greetings
Sheerin

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:04 pm

Isn't he great??? He just tore into that role. The fact that you found him so loathsome is a mark of what a terrific acting job JI did!

catloveyes

Post by catloveyes » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:17 pm

Jason is fabulous in this, so loathsome and so darned handsome in that white robe!!! :oops:

Hugs,
Kate

Minuet

Post by Minuet » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:28 pm

It took about 6 weeks for mine to arrive, too. And it was fun watching Jason be as unpleasant and vile as he could be in his tennis togs, but this movie isn't very good. Were it not for Jason, I would pan it entirely. :-|

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:34 pm

I have to say, I was impressed by how unflattering it is to Donal Logue--there are a couple of scenes that are downright uncomfortable to watch, and he often showed himself looking like utter shit.
I like Cameron...Fox? Is that his name? But there were a couple of exchanges between the two of them that seemed to come out of the blue, that just felt false and foolish.
I dunno...not my new fave, but I didn't think it was that bad. :???:

Malfoy Grandma

Tennis? Not my fav either!

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:42 am

:bat Boys just have to tell these stupid stories of their relationship with a best-bud! No wonder that wife took up with Jason! He is the only MAN in it! And nobody is going to bankroll this one, so writer has to pay for it himself! Amazon got this to me in two days, with others of my continuing project to own all of Jason's films. Boy, this movie sucks in lots of ways, full of crappy writing, self-indulgence, and the only good thing in it is Jason, who is just about as mean as he can get! He is so much fun to watch when he knows what the score on the whole project will be, because surely he knew the quality of the project! Has a real good take on the shallow ugliness of everything for bucks Hollywood! It's best point.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:00 pm

Gee except for some of the pacing (some scenes were too long) I found it very amusing and rather enjoyed it. But I knew what it was about and was not expecting a very artistic piece. Funny was what I expected and as I said - it amused me on many levels!

Cheers,
Marie

Malfoy Grandma

You are right!

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:39 pm

:oops: Sorry to be such a crab. I look at stuff like an old lady, which is what I am, so it is not surprising. But it was funny in some places, and I just got sort of tired of the same thing, over and over.

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:14 pm

I finally watched Tennis, Anyone last night.

Overall, I liked it. Although the scenes with Donal and Kirk Fox sometimes seemed a little self-indulgent, ("Hey, we're interesting to each other, so others will find us equally as interesting.), I found them both to be sympathetic characters.

Jason? Well, as others have said above, the word is "loathsome". Absolutely loathsome. He was terrific.

I think that his scenes serve to break up the monotony of the Donal-Kirk-buddy-relationship and make it an actual movie. (Have I just contradicted myself: does "monotony" cancel out "sympathetic"?

I recommend this film, leaning towards renting rather than buying.

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:47 pm

:woot YAY! A new JI movie to look forward to on DVD.
And, for me, a new movie to memorize dialogue to. Can't wait to see this in stores. (*fingerstotallycrossed*)
~M'L (C) :cool: :wheee

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:14 pm

Looked for it on Barnes & Noble but they didn't have it listed. If there is a long wait I'll order it when I get back from my last cruise in Nov. Can't handle the big ships they have now so my traveling companion and I have decided this is the last one. Anyway, how big a part did Jason have in this one? I hope it's a decent size. It was on one of the pay channels that I don't receive so I couldn't tape it. Will have to buy.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:36 am

Yes, grannybear, Jason has a good-sized role here. He is . . . wait for it . . . the villain, or should I say the self-centered louse. Makes a fan proud.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:27 am

Taped it off Showtime this week. I must say he was a loathsome person. If this was my first time seeing him I might not have become a fan.
Having seen him many times now I can appreciate the fine acting he did. Loved the shorts. Only wish he had won shorter ones like they used to wear. He's got nice legs. He looks good in that blue shirt but hasn't he worn that in other movies?
Will add the tape to my collection. Anything with Jason is worth keeping.

Return to “Jason Isaacs's Film, TV and Theatre Library”