JI in Blackhawk Down

A catch-all for older favourites.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Malfoy Grandma

JI in Blackhawk Down

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:35 am

:!: Iust watched my new DVD of the extended version of Blackhawk Down. I had seen the movie before but this version seems much better, probably because they put back in all the stuff the Director shot. JI really has an interesting accent, some hillbilly Southern I suppose, though I could not exactly identify it, but he always holds his accent through all of his lines, and of course he was as good as usual. I did not expect to care about this glories of war horror film. But I did, and I will certainly be happy to look at it again in a week or so.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:41 pm

I have to admit this was a difficult watch. It's a great story and there's some excellent performances all round, but it's just too graphic a film for repeated viewings, IMHO. It's probably the only one of Jason's flicks that's readily available on DVD but won't make it into my collection anytime soon. I appreciate the subject matter and I feel it's important to honor the sacrifices made by those brave men involved, but it's just something I don't care to revisit after it's initial viewing.

Blackhawk Down

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:49 pm

As a female, I definitely have to throw in my opinion that Jason Isaacs is a total hottie with long, blond hair. Few things more yummy than the role of a vampire or an evil warlock.

As a soldier, I have to say that my respect for him was long ago established when he took on the role of Captain Steele.

To the individual commentinting that they'll not re-watch Blackhawk Down again anytime soon: A very wise man recently said "Most of us here the United States will never know how great we have it here in America. Worse yet, is that most of the people over seas won

DhaniGrrrrl

Post by DhaniGrrrrl » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:21 pm

I've yet to see this movie, but FX will be showing it on the 20th at 10am, so I'll have a chance to check it out...

DhaniGrrrrl

Post by DhaniGrrrrl » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:34 pm

I got to catch this earlier this afternoon, and I kinda enjoyed it, especially Jason's accent!! what a hoot! Dang, even with no hair he was sexy as hell...w00t

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:29 pm

Dhani, now that you've seen the edited version, rent the DVD...
it has alot of extras, about the making of, etc...

you will have a greater appreciation of the movie, once you've
watched it un edited. It was difficult for me to view it initially,
because of the violence...I have watched it repeatedly now, but
mostly the toned down, edited version...

who ever the guest was who posted about Gillians comments, I found
nothing wrong with what Gillian had to say...she basically praised the
movie and the performances, just found it difficult to watch because
of the violence...she did not say anything against the military or the
men and women who serve...

DhaniGrrrrl

Post by DhaniGrrrrl » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:20 pm

Watching it unedited is my next goal, but I'll still be watching it on Wednesday, too...Maybe I'll tape it, just to tide me over... :D

I just found the deluxe 3 disc edition on Amazon.com...Is it worth buying?

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:39 pm

Precisely, Kim. It's not like this was a work of fiction. It was the real deal. And that's exactly why I found it difficult.

Personally, I don't know how my post could've been misconstrued the way it was. I can only speculate that she simply did not read and assumed I was taking an anti-military/anti-American stance.

It was a knee-jerk reaction you don't see much of around here.

Thanks for your support, by the way!

Siren

Post by Siren » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:05 am

Gillian i understand what you are saying..i am the same way...i watched it but its about a real event and its sad...so i probly wont watch it again either....

im the same way with Saving Private Ryan... it just breaks me down

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:07 pm

Good grief, Gillian. You praised the soldiers on whom this was based. You stated that your difficulty with re-viewing it was at how graphic it was, not with anything to do with our military. I, too, have only watched it once for the same reasons you gave. It sits on the shelf along with all my other Jason DVDs. Some day I'll be able to watch it again. Some people don't have the stomach to watch graphic violence. That doesn't make us unpatriotic.

And you're absolutely right: it's the typical knee-jerk reaction to a small portion of what you said, taken out of context, to make the anonymous poster's point.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:23 pm

I never put much creed with the words of people who post as guests. I have a very hard time with this movie and have 8 years active duty (probably more time than the guest has.) So I'm not at all sure of why the poster thinks being in the military should have anything to do with one's opinion about this?

Hey it is a good movie - but it is a difficult movie to watch. So was Scars. Does thinking Scars is difficult to watch make me pro or anti prison?

DhaniGrrrrl

Post by DhaniGrrrrl » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:28 pm

I saw nothing wrong with Gillian's post...That guest might've had a few screws loose, perhaps?

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:03 am

Right on, Mariee....

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Thu May 08, 2008 11:48 am

I was tickled pink by Jason's TX accent in this one.
"You Deltas are a bunch of undisciplined cowboys. Let me tell you something, Sarg'nt.....when we get to the 5-yard line, you're gonna need my Rangers, so y'all better learn to be team players......we're done here." :cool: ~marilaine :D
As you can tell, I've seen this one a few times. ;-)

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:12 pm

Black Hawk Down, was a great movie, still is. I have seen it about five times, first time in the movies. I went to see it with my "stepdad" and his freind. I loved it. I love dark things, I love sad things, I love tragedy. And I think this movie is adark movie and it has sadness in it, the normal people just want to exist and the soldiers... they try to bring some peace to their lives, and they want to go home to their loved ones. It also has tragedy in it, it's an example of "if something can go wrong, it will... with flourish."

It has been years since I last saw it. I have it in VHS and DVD. But for some reason I have not watched in ages. Hmm... I'll put that on my 'todo' list. :mrgreen:

Return to “Jason Isaacs's Film, TV and Theatre Library”