The State Within unlikely to return

This BBC/BBC America miniseries, filmed in Toronto, was broadcast on 2 November 2006 on BBC1 in the UK, and in the US in February 2007.

Moderators: fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius, kate, again

Gillian
Site Admin

The State Within unlikely to return

Post by Gillian » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:23 am

Courtesy of The Stage ...

The State Within doubtful for second series

Conspiracy thriller The State Within is unlikely to return for a second series following disappointing ratings.

The high-octane show, which follows 17 days in the life of the British Ambassador to the USA and stars Jason Isaacs and Cagney and Lacey actress Sharon Gless, started strongly with audiences in excess of 5 million but dropped down swiftly to 3 million and below.

Peter Fincham, controller of BBC1, stated that he was not disappointed with the ratings and that he felt the production had performed well for those who had liked it. He claimed it ranked highly on the Appreciation Index which the BBC uses as one of the measures to assess how well its programming is performing and added that it had been created as a self-contained serial.

However earlier this year a drama source at the Corporation told the stage that work had already begun on developing a second series, suggesting that if the show performed well it could be increased from six to 12 episodes.

The source had said: “Of course it will depend on ratings but work has started creating the second series and it will be longer. It does feature some of the characters from the first run but not all of them make it.â€

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:54 pm

:-(

ibelong2me

Post by ibelong2me » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:30 pm

Cannot say I am surprised that there might be no second series. No one I know except my family watches it sadly (despite my praises) and my family only because I hog the TV really...It just doesn't seemed to have appealed to as many people as they hoped. Shame really as I am really enjoying the twists and turns!

Can't believe it is the last episode already, no weekly Jason on my tv after this! *sniff* :-(

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:26 pm

This is very sad. Quality TV not getting enough viewers.. :-(

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:21 pm

Weren't we just busy saying the same thing about Brotherhood??
State is smart, somewhat demanding television--I hate to think it's too smart for viewers.
Maybe, with all the revelations re: the war in Iraq etc., not to mention the bizarre, stranger-than-fiction saga of Litvinenko, it was just too close to real life??

Maybe, she says looking determinedly at the bright side, we should view it as one less stumbling block for Good. :pop

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:38 pm

Spoilers:
Nicholas had me fooled; was convinced he wanted Sir Mark's job. As for the dumb-factor . . . how better to point out a target to a sniper than to yell out his name and have him look at you.

Man, the Americans really come off bad here, but, then, it is a British production.

Complaint:
And, pardon me if I vent, but every time they switched to a U.S. location (DC or Tampa), the sound effect was a siren in the distance!!! Okay.
Like, we're so bloody violent. How 'bout the occasional chirping Cardinal or Blue Jay?

Helen

Malfoy Grandma

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:51 am

the americans come off bad here!

Maybe the Brits, who are just as mixed in attitudes as Americans, would like a show which is more positive, even if not as much fun for the writer and the actors. Possible?

lurker fan

Jason Isaacs rocks so much!

Post by lurker fan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:10 am

I rented The State Within DVD and I watched the entire series in two days. Jason was SUCH a kind man in the mini series because he seemed to be constantly charging to the rescue of one of the women. His character also seemed to have WAY too many erm.....intimate relationships with various women but *Shrugs* I can deal with that.

Anyways, the mini series was great! I would LOVE to know whether or not his character's bluff really worked. I was glad to see the secretary of defense (btw, a character in the show said "secretary for defense" so I think it's because the brits were confused about the actual title) wasn't REALLY a Machiavelli warmonger and I can appreciate a strong female character.

Er anyways...my point is, Jason is GORGEOUS and I keep getting mesmerized by his eyes. I'm totally a huuuuge fan of his now which is odd because I've seen his movies when I was younger and I barely noticed him. I think Jason was too great for me to appreciate at the time (I was way too young then). Now that I'm older, I can totally see Jason Isaacs' greatness!

p.s.
It's such a shame the mini series was filmed in canada instead of the actual D.C. tristate area because then I'd totally go and watch them film LOL

I SOOOO appreciate the fans here who managed to meet him and take his pictures. I love that I get to "meet" him vicariously through you guys (^_^)

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:22 am

Thanks, LF, and we're glad to have you here!
I really enjoyed Sharon Gless' performance too.
I live very close to Washington D.C. myself, and I was really hoping for a few 'establishing shots' in which Mr. Brydon would have to spend the day strolling up and down K Street or something, but no such luck. . . :-( Gillian lives near Toronto, and I think she found it a little distracting--every time a scene changed she thought, oh, that's the X Hockey Arena or whatever!

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:32 pm

Sharon Gless is a hoot in the new series Burn Notice!

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:46 pm

... that's the X Hockey Arena or whatever!
I was thinking Maple Leaf Gardens but now I'm not sure. It was supposed to be converted to a superstore but I think there's still some ongoing issues.

I'm pretty sure I recognized parts of University Ave. and the lobby of the Royal York Hotel, but that's about it as I don't actually live there.

Still, it was fun keeping my eyes peeled for recognizable locations. :D

DhaniGrrrrl

Post by DhaniGrrrrl » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:28 pm

A fellow poster from across the pond over at the Yes board I frequent recommended this to me, and I've found it on Amazon...Looks like thie will be another movie I save up for...

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:42 pm

Dhani, you will love the state within...it will also take more than 1 viewing, and it's a bit long...watch it all the way thru, the first time..
Try to watch it all in one viewing, it will make it a bit easier to
understand...ENJOY

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:58 am

I was disappointed there would be no sequel. I did want to see what happened between Mark and Jane.
I had to watch the show originally several times before I figured out all the twists an turns. It's not often you get good, intelligent, thought provoking shows. There are enough of us that want good drama and not just fluff.
Also I believe Jason had said he would not do a sequal but then he could change his mind.

whisperwood

Post by whisperwood » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:39 pm

Argh. I just finished watching the DVDs and was excited about learning what would come next!

No wonder television audiences are becoming so mindless. I'm tired of the complaining that arises from intelligent, 'hard to follow' series. This is incredibly disappointing. I finished it last night. watched it all in one sitting. My life is sad, lol. But this show is addicting! Smart, sexy, thrilling... I gasped a few times. It was so much fun!
I did want to see what happened between Mark and Jane.
By episode two I was already hoping for Mark and Jane to come together. I sighed happily for this pairing. I'm such a sucker for Romance.
I love that I get to "meet" him vicariously through you guys
I feel the same way, lol. Though hopefully one day I can travel to try and meet him myself.
Man, the Americans really come off bad here, but, then, it is a British production.
I was actually thinking about this and on the surface I agree. But I want to watch the series again just to pick every nuance apart. I'm American and honestly? I don't care if we look bad. I know how most of the world feels about us and I honestly don't blame them. I hate my government. I hate the dependence on oil. I think as a country overall, we have our heads up our rears. (Didn't want to curse. Am I allowed to? lol) Sorry, no more political talk on me. I hate it and avoid it, so no more.

Something i absolutely adored however was that the President and Prime Minister were never shown or named. It was always THE PRESIDENT or PRIME MINISTER. Hehe.

Return to “The State Within”