Is the DVD worth buying?

This BBC/BBC America miniseries, filmed in Toronto, was broadcast on 2 November 2006 on BBC1 in the UK, and in the US in February 2007.

Moderators: fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius, kate, again

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:07 pm

You can still get it on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

mariagare

Post by mariagare » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:25 pm

and DVD Pacific http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=763289

I have the Region 4 (similar to Region 2 http://www.amazon.co.uk/State-Within-Co ... 190&sr=8-1) but I'm tempted to get the Region 1 so that I can own the two different covers. :oops:

The series also introduced me to Jason. I watched it every Thursday night for six weeks without blinking. My friend and I were sending each other e-mail commentary; she became just as smitten as i did.

I'd just assumed that he would always be the handsome, heroic, leading man in everything he was cast and wondered why I hadn't noticed him before. I was pleased to discover that he didn't always play the good guy. He's captivating both ways.

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:30 pm

I think that this role as the ambassador was nice chage from all the bad guy roles. But hey let's join the dark side, they have Jason Isaacs. Muahaha.

Now I am counting days that I can get the DVD. The store will be importing it from the UK so it will take around 2 weeks, but I know it will be worth it. :wheee :dunce

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:56 pm

2 weeks! You could walk it there from Finland faster.

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:26 pm

Helen8 wrote:2 weeks! You could walk it there from Finland faster.
I know, but they have something called "handling time" I am not sure about the terminology in english, but I am pretty sure you get the picture. And They can rip me off. And I have been sick lately so I wasn't inspired by the walk... :orangface

Oh well it is worth the wait, even if the wait is painfull. I waited 6 months for a movie once. They ordered it from the US and we had some problems understanding each other. But I got the movie. And then there was this wait for Inspector Rex series 1... that wait lasted for 21 days And it came from Australia. The company is small but through them I can get the rare DVDs. Gotta love 'em.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:56 pm

Yeah, Sandman. I forgot about how frustrating country-to-country delivery can be. :roll:

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:16 am

Frustrating, painful, expensive... synonyms.

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:38 pm

Thank you! And same to you!
OMG 1000 posts!
Congrats ma amie! <3
It's so hard to pick clothes :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:02 pm

Yeah, Fashion brain freezes are the worst.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:53 pm

Ah, the joys of living in a tropical country...it never snows where I live. *smile*
It's summer here in South America and choosing what to wear is not a problem to me. A dress can never go wrong :oops:

~me

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:50 pm

Sandman wrote:Yeah, Fashion brain freezes are the worst.
I had such a big one today! But finally, I picked already!
And eff you Angel! I miss the tropical nice weather!
Throwing it in my face...shame on you!

*kidding gurl. I love you.

AussieJo

Post by AussieJo » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:27 pm

Sandman wrote:
Helen8 wrote:2 weeks! You could walk it there from Finland faster.
I know, but they have something called "handling time" I am not sure about the terminology in english, but I am pretty sure you get the picture. And They can rip me off. And I have been sick lately so I wasn't inspired by the walk... :orangface

Oh well it is worth the wait, even if the wait is painfull. I waited 6 months for a movie once. They ordered it from the US and we had some problems understanding each other. But I got the movie. And then there was this wait for Inspector Rex series 1... that wait lasted for 21 days And it came from Australia. The company is small but through them I can get the rare DVDs. Gotta love 'em.
Why don't you order them directly from overseas sites yourself?
Your shop is probably adding a hefty profit margin to your orders.

I don't know where you are, but Amazon UK has good service and SUPER fast postage to Australia (3 working days), and DVD Pacific (USA) are one of the cheaper places you'll get Region 1 DVDs.

It's weird that you're getting DVDs from Australia. One of my favourite whinges abut DVDs is that "nothing interesting gets released here/I have to import any obscure titles". However, foreign language series that have huge followings here like Inspector Rex (Austria) and Unit One (Denmark) are being released locally on DVD by the TV network that screens them....and people overseas are importing them. LOL I suppose it helps that our dollar is in the shit again, though.

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:46 pm

Heh well to to be able to order directly, i would have to have a credit card. Which I won't be getting anytime soon since I am unemployed and the banks refuse to give me one. Understandable in my opinion. And the fee isn't that big. If I remember correctly, with Rex I mean. The DVD was around 50 €, the shipping to Finland cost 8 €... the postal fee (or whatever) is sroun 5-8 € inside Finland, depending how much the package weights. So it's around ten euros or with their own fee. Shich means nothing since I had wanted that DVD for 10 years.

With State Within I will be paying around 50 €. Which also means nothing, Jason's in it. I can eat spaghetti for a month... :mrgreen:

AussieJo

Post by AussieJo » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:51 pm

Yowwwww 50 Euros is expensive!

You don't have debit cards? That's where it looks like a credit card to a merchant, but you use the funds in your bank account. I have a Visa one.

Or prepaid credit cards? That's where you "load money onto the card" and use it like a credit card. They're great if you only want to spend a set amount of money and are worried about the security f using your credit card on the internet.

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:35 am

I have never actually got the idea of debit cards, and because of that I have no idea f we still have those. And I have never heard of prepaid credit cards... that however does not mean anything.
And 50 € is expensive or very cheap, depending on which side are you looking at it. :mrgreen:

Return to “The State Within”