Finally watched it

This BBC/BBC America miniseries, filmed in Toronto, was broadcast on 2 November 2006 on BBC1 in the UK, and in the US in February 2007.

Moderators: fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius, kate, again

Foodie

Finally watched it

Post by Foodie » Mon May 14, 2007 9:14 pm

Oh my gosh, it should be a crime for one person to be that gorgeous! JI is just the hottest man on the planet!

I really enjoyed this miniseries, although I think I need to watch it again with paper and a pen to take notes. So many characters and subplots and conspiracies, it's hard to keep track of. I was intrigued at how all the subplots were actually intertwined. That was very well done. There were even a few threads left untouched by the end so that they could continue on if they wanted, which I hope they do!

It was so refreshing to see JI playing the hero for once. It just shows how versatile he is as an actor.

Well, I don't think I have anything particularly new or insightful to add, just wanted to throw my two cents in now that I've seen it!

-Foodie :D

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Tue May 15, 2007 5:02 am

One does need to watch TSW a few times, just because there was so much plot going on in each episode. I remember I kept saying, oh, ok, that's what was going on....One has a tendency to "Focus" on mr jason, and alot of plot can be missed. I had to watch it at least 3 or 4 times before I was able to skip around and watch bits and pieces :D

catloveyes

Post by catloveyes » Tue May 15, 2007 8:50 am

I totally agree on the gorgeousness of JI....I am on my 3rd time and as Kj said, you have to remember to follow the plot , a very difficult thing for me, I just want to stare at him and say, the heck with the plot!! :D

Hugs,
Kate

lyra70

Post by lyra70 » Tue May 15, 2007 7:35 pm

Glad you finally watched it, Foodie! Isn't he just beautiful? This is what finally made me check out all the sites and videos on youtube, which consequently made me a die-hard fan. He is just plain gorgeous in practically every scene. I love how noble and worried he always looks.

lyra70

Post by lyra70 » Tue May 15, 2007 7:54 pm

You know what is particularly amazing about Jason is how he manages to look like 2 completely different men even when not in costume or wig. It's never more obvious than the year he did "Brotherhood" and "TSW" and especially when you look at the screencaps (thanks Char!), it is amazing how you can tell that Michael Caffee and Sir Mark are two different characters. What I mean is, in all the "Brotherhood" screencaps we see Jason with cold eyes, curled lips, his jaw sticking out a bit, and even his beauty mark on his right cheek seems more pronounced, like Robert De Niro. Even when he's smiling he looks dangerous or ruthless.

Then switch to "TSW" screencaps, and he has the exact same hair and everything but somehow he just looks different. Here he has a caring or thoughtful expression, his brows are furrowed in concern, his eyes are softer, his smile is gentle. Even when he's not taking crap from anyone, like when he's burst into Nicholas's apartment, although he means business he does not look homicidal or evil. When he's staring down the Armitage guy in the end (I forget his name) he just looks determined but not deadly or anything. I am just amazed at his range of expression, and I feel it is most evident in his screencaps how good an actor he is.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Tue May 15, 2007 9:47 pm

That's why it's so much fun doing screencaps of Jason. His expression changes in almost every frame.

Foodie

Post by Foodie » Tue May 15, 2007 9:50 pm

Well, it is amazing what the eyes alone can convey about a person/character. Jason has probably the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen, with the exception of Elijah Wood. The eyes say so much about a person that just changing from an angry glare to a sad stare can make somebody look like a whole different person. And body language too. JI clearly puts a lot of time and effort into these seemingly little details that really make all the difference in the world. Sir Mark's demeanor was vastly different from Michael Caffee, that watching them, they both give off a whole different vibe. I sure wish I could have traveled overseas to see him in The Dumb Waiter. To see that sort of talent in person would be too amazing!

-Foodie

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Wed May 16, 2007 5:51 am

His eyes were the first thing I noticed about mr jason..not how gorgeous they are, but how he can convey emotions with them, without saying a word...Char is absolutely correct, when you screen cap JI, you are in for a surprise or 2 or 3...he can change emotions with his eyes from moment to moment. he is a truely gifted actor. I've not experienced another actor who has the range of emotions that he has....
I agree, Foodie, that the diff between MC and Sir Mark is astounding, this being the same man essentially....JI has stated he does make each character his own, and it's so refreshing and exhilerating to watch Mr Jason at his craft. Wonderful...Sigh...

Return to “The State Within”