Bugger--inadvertently deleted Gillian's brilliant thread

This BBC/BBC America miniseries, filmed in Toronto, was broadcast on 2 November 2006 on BBC1 in the UK, and in the US in February 2007.

Moderators: fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius, kate, again

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Bugger--inadvertently deleted Gillian's brilliant thread

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:19 am

re: The State Within.
Lemme see if I can recollect some of the bits--

From http://www.c21media.net/news/detail.asp ... icle=30133

BBC lines up thriller, kids reality (I first read that as "teasing reality"--this is why publications should employ copy editors, dammit)

The BBC has unveiled a trio of new commissions – two dramas and a children's entrepreneur show – in the same week it axed 50-year-old UK sports magazine Grandstand.

Jason Isaacs, Sharon Gless, Lennie James and Eva Birthistle star in State Within, a conspiracy thriller coproduction with BBC America for BBC1 that is shooting in Canada until July.

Written by Dirty War duo Lizzie Mickery and Dan Percival, the six-part series is set in the world of UK/US diplomacy. It follows 17 days in the life of the British Ambassador to the US, played by Isaacs.

Jane Tranter, BBC controller of drama commissioning, described the show as "a high-octane, complex, action-packed conspiracy thriller" that has been "strongly authored" by Mickery and Percival.

She added that the duo's "distinctive and intelligent" scripts are further evidence of the "ambition, modernity and bravura" of drama on BBC1. State Within will air in the UK later this year.

Again, this is a BBC America coproduction, so I think we can hope it will also air in North America contemporaneously. (isn't that a good word? Ithink I got that one from Elliot Abrams)
It also stars Lennie James, who, as previously noted, worked with JI on Civvies and made me laugh out loud in Snatch (Sol: You ain't from this planet are you, Vincent? Who is gonna mug two black fellas, holding pistols, sat in a car that is worth less than your shirt?)

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:59 am

Here's the article from the BBC ...

State Within, new conspiracy thriller for BBC ONE

Jason Isaacs, Sharon Gless, Lennie James and Eva Birthistle star in State Within, a new conspiracy thriller for BBC ONE.

Lizzie Mickery and Dan Percival's (Dirty War) new tightly-plotted conspiracy thriller, State Within, is set in the diplomatic worlds of Britain and the U.S. The show is due to broadcast on BBC ONE later this year.

The new six-part series takes place over 17 days in the life of the British Ambassador to the United States. Ambassador to Washington is the pinnacle of success in the Foreign Office.

Only the brightest and best succeed to this post, however, Mark Brydon (Jason Isaacs) soon finds he is tested to the limits of his foreign diplomacy skills as he grapples with a world of tangled relationships and conflicting interests following a major diplomatic incident.

But in a world of high stakes where manipulation of information means ultimate power – who can Brydon trust?

Jane Tranter, BBC Controller of Drama Commissioning said: "State Within is a high octane, complex, action-packed conspiracy thriller.

"Strongly authored by Lizzie and Dan these distinctive and intelligent scripts aim to keep audiences on the edge of their seats, and is further evidence of the ambition, modernity and bravura of drama on BBC ONE."

The cast also includes Sharon Gless as Lynne Warner, US Secretary of Defence; Ben Daniels as Nicholas Brocklehurst, Eva Birthistle as Jane Lavery, a human rights lawyer assigned to Luke Gardner (Lennie James), a British paratrooper, awaiting execution on Death Row in Florida.

Neil Pearson plays Phil Lonsdale; Alex Jennings plays James Sinclair; Rahnuma Panthaky as Nasreen Qureshi; Genevieve O'Reilly as Caroline Hanley and Noam Jenkins plays Christopher Styles.

Writers Dan Percival and Lizzie Mickery said: "Do you believe what your leaders tell you? Behind the doors in the corridors of power a terrifying plot is being forged.

"Trust no one. Truth and lies are sacrificed for expediency. Beneath the public mask of Ambassador, Mark the man finds himself torn between his duty and his conscience."

A cat's cradle of tangled relationships and conflicting interests links the cast of characters through six hours of twists and turns as Ambassador Brydon (Jason Isaacs) slowly realises that he is being played by an invisible puppeteer.

With no one to trust he cannot even begin to imagine where the conspiracy ends.

Kathryn Mitchell, Controller BBC America, said: "With a great crossover plot involving the diplomatic worlds of America and Britain, I knew BBC America had to be involved in State Within.

"As co-producer, I'm very excited by the edgy, contemporary and politically topical storylines - it will translate perfectly for our American viewers."

Filming in Canada until July, State Within is a co-production with BBC America.

Producer is Grainne Marmion. Directors are Michael Offer (Episodes 1, 2 & 3) and Dan Percival (episodes 4, 5 & 6). Executive Producer is Jessica Pope.

BBC

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:22 pm

Aces, Gils!

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:34 am

Sorry about that--I was tryna move it to the new forum, which I did, but I forgot to uncheck the 'leave shadow' option, so then I tried to move it again, and then I hit 'delete this topic' because I assumed it would only do so from the General Forum...God bless us. :hit

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Mon May 01, 2006 5:38 pm

No worries, Hil. If you hadn't said anything I wouldn't have even noticed.

Here's another small article from BBC America ...

Another day, another BBC America co-production to announce: Jason Isaacs (*melt*) and Sharon Gless star in the gripping six-part conspiracy thriller, State Within. Set in the diplomatic worlds of Britain and the U.S., it stars Isaacs as Mark Brydon, British Ambassador to the U.S., and Gless as Lynne Warner, U.S. Secretary of Defense.

The drama takes place over 17 days in the life of the British Ambassador, following a major diplomatic incident in D.C. Dealing with the fallout, Brydon is tested to the limits of his foreign diplomacy skills as he grapples with a world of tangled relationships and conflicting interests. Somewhere an invisible puppeteer is playing him and, in a world of high stakes where manipulation of information means ultimate power, who can he trust?

The cast also includes Ben Daniels (MI-5, Cutting It) as British diplomat staffer Nicholas Brocklehurst, Eva Birthistle (Breakfast on Pluto) as human rights lawyer Jane Lavery, and Lennie James (Sahara, Midsummer Night's Dream) as Luke Gardner, a member of the British Army awaiting execution on Death Row in Florida.

Filming in Canada and D.C. until July, State Within is a co-production with BBC. I love love love Mr. Isaacs, and it'll be great to see Ms. Gless back kicking ass and taking names like Chris Cagney from Cagney & Lacey. She did her time in Queer As Folk purgatory. Welcome back, girlfriend! Heck, I'd take her as Secretary of Defense over Rumsfeld anyday. Stay tuned for airdates!

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed May 03, 2006 10:04 am

I imagine the person who wrote this has impeccable credentials. After all, the writer has impeccable taste.

Jason Isaacs (*melt*)
I love love love Mr. Isaacs

Helen

Return to “The State Within”