Good DVD

Good had its official UK premiere on 17 April, 2009; it is widely available on DVD and Blu-ray

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius, kate, again

NCGirl

Good DVD

Post by NCGirl » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:50 pm

To be honest, I wasn't sure if I wanted to watch this movie because of the subject matter. However after reading the comments here ~ I just ordered Good on Amazon. Hope to get it sometime next week.

~cadie

NCGirl

Re: Good DVD

Post by NCGirl » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:53 pm

I watched Good a few days ago. I'm glad this film was made ~ very well done. I liked it. Two thumbs up.

Ah Jason - he can even make the "f" word sound endearing.. :shock: :mrgreen: (me bad).

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:55 pm

Ah, the time I watched that movie I was desperately searching for tissues by the end. I don't know why I was surprised - I mean- the ending was inevitable, but still-- definitely a 5 tissue tear jerker (almost as bad - and I mean in tissue requirements, not in quality- as the Boy in the Striped Pajamas- which was a 6-8 tissue tear jerker). And I knew that blonde witch was bad news right from the beginning! Grrr...

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:53 pm

I saw Good for the first time, on the big screen, at the Chicago International Film Festival Oct 2008 both Jason and Viggo were there. Jason Presented Viggo with a Life Time Achievment Award....Kate and I discussed the film for hours afterwards..Jason makes smoking look sexy :finger: I enjoyed his character Maurice

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:32 am

Lucky Duck. I bet that was a very different kind of movie experience- knowing that the actors were right there in the audience (regardless if if the actors included JI and VM), waiting to see the reations. I suppose they are used to that sort of interaction, but us - perhaps not so much.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:12 am

Just watched Good today. I am a wreck and cried at the scene at the dinner table when Maurice begs for exit papers from his friend who is a gutless character. The emotions that Jason brings shows he is a quality actor, fear, despair, anger and desperation in a few short minutes. The end was inevitable and you knew what his wife had done. The scenes at the end made me short of breath and tight in the chest. It had that much of an effect on me.

Noticed that Jason was an executive producer, so this was obviously a passion project for him. This movie should have had more recognition as it is a great piece of work. The acting was immense and deeply effecting.

Fascinated that some of you saw the movie in the company of Jason and Viggo which must have been one hell of an experience.

These roles must take their toll on Jason as like I mentioned it has left me a wreck.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:52 pm

The more I think about this the more it has effected me deeply. I think what was fascinating was that Johnny was such a weak man. He left his wife as Helen basically took him over, his friendship with Maurice was fascianting as Maurice was by far the stronger character in their relationship and his political dealings were of a man who was weak and just went with the flow. Even his relationship with his first wife and mother were of a man who was unable to make decisions.

I still think the scene at the dinner table between Johnny and Maurice was some of the best acting I have seen from Jason. Devastating and heartbreaking in equal measures. Loved the director mentioning that Jason is a lot like Maurice in real life :D A true masterpiece.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:56 pm

Annie, you have singlehandedly made me want to revisit these works of Jason that I haven't seen in yearsGood, Dangerous Lady, and Brotherhood to name a few. Thanks to you. I'm long overdo. :hands

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:24 am

Your welcome. The only downside is that I am mentally drained (how Jason copes with all these heavy roles is beyond me). Hoefully when I get a chance as I am fitting in Jason movies/tv shows while reading my Open University text for the course that starts soon for my Arts and Humanities degree. I hope to get around to Sweet November soon.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:06 am

When "Good" first appeared, the concepts it considered (how does a 'decent' person morph into an enabler of Nazism?) seemed way more distant and theoretical--to me, anyway. I thought the movie (adapted from a play of the same name) did an excellent job of illustrating how weakness allowed someone who wasn't fundamentally evil to just slide into that.
Living in the U.S. today, my feeling about this process have likewise changed--I'll stop there, as this ain't the forum.

servalan

Post by servalan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:46 pm

I just saw Anniemouse's comments. I saw Good in Glasgow with another Jason fan shortly after the film was released, during the Glasgow Film Festival. He was supposed to be there for the Q&A afterwards, but I think he got the offer of a free holiday or something, so naturally he chose a sunny beach with his family over rainy Glasgow! However Jodie Whittaker (now the current Dr Who) who played Viggo's wife was there to answer questions, so that was a nice experience.

There were some great performances in that film, including Gemma Jones (Madam Pomfrey in Harry Potter) as Viggo's mother suffering from dementia.

The story was so harrowing at the end, I agree.

As we discussed elsewhere about eastern Europe standing in for western Europe in films, Good was filmed in Hungary.

Return to “Good”