Reviews, critics, etc..

Good had its official UK premiere on 17 April, 2009; it is widely available on DVD and Blu-ray

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius, kate, again

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:35 am

Finally a nice article....thanks Kj!

~me

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:02 pm

Good interview. I like Jason's juxtaposition of Lucius and Maurice.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:38 pm

Another kind review

http://www.lastmovies.tv/2009/01/21/good/

Jason Isaacs gives a similarly powerful performance as Maurice, Halder’s Jewish therapist and close friend and the film’s most poignant emotional hook. As Maurice is gradually stripped of his privileges, rights, freedom and dignity step by step, equally outraged by his friend’s involvement in the affiliation condemning him, Isaacs transforms from casually confident to beaten down but fiercely outraged, coming alight with fiery intensity.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:14 pm

coming alight with fiery intensity.

I can not wait to see this.

catloveyes

Post by catloveyes » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:54 pm

Wonderful interview...a great one for Jason...thank you Kim!! :hug

And thank you Char as well....we can't get enough of articles about Jason!!:hug

Kate

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:52 am

From Monsters and Critics:

"Halder’s best friend is Maurice. The two served together in WW I and have their share of bitter experiences to bind them. But none as cowardly as the paper-hanger Nazi regime was about to release in the form of the Holocaust. Maurice fought for his country and was as German as anyone else regardless of their religion. In a very macho portrayal of a future victim, he refused to leave the country he considered his homeland even as it was systematically stripping him of his humanity. Finally for Maurice and many others it was too late too leave. Halder is his last hope."

While not enthusiastic about the movie, the review is at least thoughtful, and remarks on several qualities I haven't read addressed in other criticisms--the use of wind throughout the exterior shots, for example.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:54 am

I think the movie would have done better if it was released at some other time of year. Too many movies with the Holocaust theme out right now. It got lost in the crowd.

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:45 pm

grannybear wrote:I think the movie would have done better if it was released at some other time of year. Too many movies with the Holocaust theme out right now. It got lost in the crowd.
I agree with you! The Reader, Defiance, Boy with the Stripped Pijamas (sorry if I got the title wrong) and others have completely overshadowed "Good"
and talking bout The Reader, I went to see it. Girls, you have to see it. It's so good. Too good, and Kate Winslet...oh Kate...what a great actress she is. The actress of her generation.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:25 am

"Jason Isaacs: 'Good' thoughts":

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/movies/art ... s0129.html

~me

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:35 pm

(Only 4 mins. left in my login time. :bawl)

Man, I gotta see this movie......I just gotta.
The more we keep discussing it, the more I want to, have to, wouldhiketoSanAntonioifIhadto!

~M'L(C) :cool:

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:31 pm

thanx Angel, nice article :D

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:48 am

Man, I gotta see this movie......I just gotta.
The more we keep discussing it, the more I want to, have to, wouldhiketoSanAntonioifIhadto!
Go see it if you get the chance! :D

~me

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:08 pm

It'd be better if was playing here.
:stirrer *conjuringthemovietoCC*
~M'L(C):adore

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:53 pm

I was doing a quick search to see if there was any info about Good opening in Toronto. I came across this:
click
I did a quick scan of this thread and didn't see this interview on ComingSoon.net.
Also, I don't have time to read it as I'm leaving work in five minutes. :oops:

Hilary edited to add:
"Mortensen is as good as always, but it's Isaacs' performance that really impressed us, as he creates an emotionally-charged portrayal of a wealthy and successful German-Jewish professional whose rights and livelihood are taken away as his friend's life continues to improve.

" . . . So I [Jason Isaacs] found this experience overwhelming and why I was interested in Maurice, because he wasn't a victim and because I don't judge Maurice and I don't judge Viggo's character because I think I might have made the very same rationalization. It was just this party of extremists who were doing a lot of great things in Germany, some stuff they found repulsive, and Viggo is persuaded that maybe if he joins the party, if a lot of good, right thinking people join the party, they would dilute the (bad people), who let's face it, are going to be in power for the next four years. What else are you meant to do? "

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:33 am

A perceptive review from the Sydney Morning Herald:
"Good takes a more tough-minded approach: it is a map of the small, understandable compromises that an ordinary man might make on the road to hell. That's a more confronting idea, because it is no longer just about Germans."

Return to “Good”