All Interviews

Good had its official UK premiere on 17 April, 2009; it is widely available on DVD and Blu-ray

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius, kate, again

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

All Interviews

Post by Chari910 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:39 am

Ninniach from Viggoworks kindly translated this interview from Portuguese to English.

From Abril.com interview

A Brasilian directs Viggo Mortensen in a “different” movie about Nazism

Vicente Amorim, from “Caminho das Nuvens” makes his debut in international cinema with “Good”

Vicente Amorim was born in Wien, Austria, in 1966, but he spent most of his life in Brazil. In 2003, he directed Wagner Moura and Cláudia Abreu in “O Caminho das Nuvens”, his first time directing on his own.

To direct “Good”, based on the play “Good” by C.P. Taylor, Amorim returned to Europe, specifically to Hungary, where this story, taking place in Hitler’s Germany, was shot. “Budapest looks more like Berlin than Berlin itself”, explains the director.

Viggo Mortensen, Aragorn form “The Lord of the Rings”, stars in the movie, in a role that got him enthusiastic compliments at the TIFF, in September. This production is also closing the Rio Festival, on September 8. (translator’s note: this date is wrong, but it’s the one from the original article…)

The director talked to Abril.com about his experience directing an international production for the first time, also revealing his enthusiastic hopes that the lead actor gets an Oscar nod.

Up untill “Good”, your career was restrained to Brazil. How did you get involved with this movie?I was invited by the producer, Miriam Seagal, who is English and jewish, and has been chasing this project for 20 years. Because of her vision of the story, she didn’t want an European director, who already had some "luggage" on the issue. Then she thought of latin-american directors, and she saw my movie, “O Caminho das Nuvens”. That happened three and a half years ago.

And what attracted you to the project?
“Good” is a move that bears a very original view on Nazism in Germany. Instead of being like all other movies, from the British point of view, the Russian’s or the victim’s, it’s an inside look. Not of the Nazism’s machine, but of the ordinary German citizen, a good man that gets involved with that machine. It’s the perspective of someone that’s living in Germany in that time. I wanted to take the audience to Viggo’s character’s point of view, confronting them with the choices he would have to make back then.

Can we say it’s a more realistic vision on the subject?Not exactly, but it could be. It’s a simpler vision. The choices Viggo’s character makes are quiet similar to those made nowadays. Every choice we make his political. This movie is a reflection about the choices we make. It’s a thriller, of course, but an existentialist one, though I don’t want to sound pretentious.

During the creative process for the movie, did you seek inspiration in other works?
I’ve had the privilege to work directly with the play. Then I started researching. And anyone who doesn’t live locked up in his bathroom is familiar with the subject. I started doing more and more research. I found some books more closely related to my work: “A Social History of the Third Reich”, by Richard Grunberger, and “What We Knew”, by Karl- Heinz Reuband and Eric A. Johnson, the last one being extraordinary. It has both Germans’ and Jewish people’s storys about everyday life back then. That story is usually presented from a wide point of view, includind its consequences and developments. And the way people influence History was the thing that captivated me the most. Besides the books, I was also inspired by the movies “The Conformist” (1970), by Bernardo Bertolucci, and “Mephisto”, by István Szabó.

How was it like to shoot in Budapest? How long were you there?
We shot for two months in Budapest. We chose the city mainly because it looks more like [World War II] Berlin than Berlin itself, which was greatly ravaged during the war. There was hand-to-hand fight in Budapest, the city wasn’t as bombed. So it has a romantic style, like the one of Berlin on that time. It was a lot more similar than any other German city. Besides, the Hungarians have a centenary movie tradition and offer production incentives.

Fernando Meirelles once said he has just as much freedom working with foreign or Brazilian producers. Did you feel the same?
I was given plenty freedom by the producers, both in structuring and the script. It was a very rich collaborative process. Obviously, being such a sensitive subject and the play so famous, there was some extraordinary source material made by them. But I had much freedom to create, with Miriam, and then Viggo, a vision on the matter. But I obviously had a great responsibility towards the producers and financers and specially an artistic responsibility towards the material. But it never became a “prison”, much on the opposite. I had all the freedom to work my way, but always collaboratively. To say I thought about absolutely everything that’s on screen would just be petulant.

What about dealing with a bigger budget?
“Good” has a $15 million budget. “O Caminho das Nuvens” had about $2 million. An indepent movie of $15 million is the equivalent to a R$8 or 9 million in Brasil. Compared to big studios’ movies, it was cheap. It wasn’t that hard because I had my previous experience as an assistant director, many times in foreign productions, such as “Moon over Parador” (1988, by Paul Mazursky). It was something new as a director, for sure, but it wasn’t my first time working in that system. The “butterflies in my stomach” would still be there if I had a $500 thousand budget. There’s always that feeling: “Will it work? Will I make it right?”.

And working with Viggo Mortensen, an actor who got huge international projection with “The Lord of the Rings”? Where there any problems with the fans on set?
No, there were none. He has absolutely no “star-factor” and is very collaborative, open, very concerned about delivering his vision, about helping to build not only his character, but the best movie possible. As to the harassment, there’s was nothing worth mentioning. As we were making a period movie, we had to isolate the areas, so it just didn’t happen. And even when it did, he was always very solicitous. In that kind of thing, a movie star only makes the news when he/she refuses to meet the fans. When he/she is cool and easy, people don’t dramatize it.

There’s already some speculation about a possible Oscar nod for Viggo…
I’m buying a pack of candles so that dream comes true (laughs). He’s great, but if he gets nominated the credit is mainly his. The critic Rex Reed (“New York Observer”) said he is an “unmatchable chameleon”. I think he deserves it, but I’m only hoping. We know how it works, there’s a lot of politics involved, but he deserves it.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:36 am

thanx Char, I wonder why Jason was not mentioned, or did I miss it?

catloveyes

Post by catloveyes » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:12 pm

Thank you Char...and I wonder as well....no Jason!! :???:

Hugs,
Kate

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:36 pm

Thank you Char and Ninniach!

Interesting what he said about fan/star interaction . . .

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:46 pm

Very.

wolfsaver

Post by wolfsaver » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:40 pm

:bat No mention after Jason's long involvement in this project and a review that he was the best part of the film! Baaaaaah.....

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:26 pm

Thanks, Char and Ninniach! Well, as long as the movie gets good buzz, Jason will be noticed.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

MOVIEWEB Interview

Post by Chari910 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:00 pm

Thanks to Viggo-Works

<object width="425" height="339"><param name="movie" value="http://www.movieweb.com/v/V08L45fgkquGO ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.movieweb.com/v/V08L45fgkquGOS" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="339"></embed></object>

Jason talked about Viggo, and in Viggo's interview, he talked about their realtionship.

<object width="425" height="339"><param name="movie" value="http://www.movieweb.com/v/V08L9lqruyEFJ ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.movieweb.com/v/V08L9lqruyEFJR" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="339"></embed></object>

The original webpage is here:
http://www.movieweb.com/video/V08L9lqruyEFJR
Last edited by Chari910 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:10 pm

For some reason the vid doesn't work for me...(I think it's my connection, bla)

~me

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:40 pm

Another really insightful interview. And good questions all. Thanks, Miss Char and Viggo-Works!

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:01 am

Brilliant video interview. Loved the little irreverent bits. Really took the interviewer by surprise.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:29 am

thanx Char, Mr Jason started out with the rapid fire dialogue, but
then settled down...I luved the reactions from the interviewer...

mariagare

Post by mariagare » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:50 am

Adding my thanks for posting these.

I always liked Viggo as an actor and it's lovely to watch his interviews. He's a genuinely passionate and principled person.

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:56 pm

Gillian wrote:Brilliant video interview. Loved the little irreverent bits. Really took the interviewer by surprise.
Totally. The interviewer was actually laughing at Jason's responses. He probably didn't expect a genuinely great answer...

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:11 pm

Okay I watched the vid on the original website, it finally worked for me!
(he's so handsome!)

I enjoyed the interview but sometimes he speaks really fast :oops:

~me

Return to “Good”