JI Interview-In Spanish

A fencing Jason Isaacs--in tights, no less!! Sorry--a historical drama concerning machinations and maneuverings in the court of Spain's Philip II, erstwhile husband to England's Queen Mary Tudor and dispatcher of the ill-fated Armada. Velvet and ruffed collars. Unfortunately, it appeared only sporadically in theatres, and is tough to find even on DVD.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius, kate, again

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

JI Interview-In Spanish

Post by Chari910 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:09 pm

Obviously, we need help again from our resident Spanish interpreter, Alejandra aka FerociaCoutura.

I did google tranlate-and it's pretty comical.
At least it will be easier for Alejandra to edit it than to write the whole thing.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:25 pm

YOU CAN SKIP READING THIS GOOGLE_VERSION AND GO TO THE NEXT POST. FC'S VERSION IS SO MUCH BETTER.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This English actor, trained in law in Bristol, leads
Nearly two decades walking his British clearly apostura
and contrasted by the most talented interpretive
Londoners demanding scenarios and Hollywood sets. In "
Conjura de El Escorial " He is facing a double and transcendent
challenge. On the one hand, embody Antonio Perez-key character
in the development of the plot-and on the other hand, do so with the
sufficient historical rigor, without circumventing the attractiveness and charisma that
this figure treasured in the sixteenth century, and therefore at present.

He then recounts how he has been personally
immersed in this hard shooting, what have been its main
sensations under the tutelage of director Antonio del Real and what
shape the history of Spain has pervaded their knowledge and
libérrimo soul.

Would you like to shoot a film in Spain for a couple of months? It
is a historical epic. There are castles, murders, conspiracies,
horses, love, revenge, velvet and much to finish, Julia
Ormond.
"

It seemed obvious that this was going to be shorter than a conversation
than normal with my agent.

"Who will I play and when do I have to go? "I asked him excitedly.
"I think the hero. The adviser to the King, Antonio Perez. No, wait, let me see. you will discover ... yes, no, I think it is the villain. He plans a murder. No, wait ... Says here it is the Prime Minister. It's love of the character
Julia, of Princess Eboli, but… I think you're married. Or was it? I'm not sure "

"Do not worry, I will find out, when I have to go to Spain?"

"Within two days"

Thus began a journey of discovery to me. Obsessed, confused and
I entertained in the same way as I am sure it will happen to the public.
When I prepare a character I need to know why this story deserves
the penalty count, but although I have to say shamefully, in school I was not taught anything about the time of the Spanish Empire. I knew very little about King Philip II, but names like Antonio Perez, Princess Eboli, and Juan Escobedo, were new to me. Just as the infamous conspiracy to assassinate him that led to the realignment of power in the planet's most powerful court.

I had to ask our director, Antonio del Real, if the script was based on actual facts.

When I discovered the true facts, or at least some version on
them, I knew clearly what was relevant to this story: in a context
history in which a great empire was involved in a costly war
in a strange land, which constantly died without a great sense
number of people, a man tries to make a secret pact with powers
rivals to get the troops back home, giving the face by his boss,
while at the same time be enriched. Any parallels with the
contemporary history and its moral complexity beyond.
As always happens in a historical film, a long list of writers,
Historians and other experts contradicted each other. Every
one of them seemed to have more reason than others to support its version of the facts. The plot of the movie became increasingly cloudy.

Julia and I absorbed all these interpretations to incorporate our characters each option. Was Princess Eboli and Antonio Perez's relationship sentimental? Or maybe she was trying to cover up or he could have been gay as it can be deduced from some subsequent charges
made in France? Did King knowledge of the plan to eliminate
Escobedo upset of this equation? Do you know of Princess Eboli? Was
Antonio Perez illegitimate child of Prince of Eboli? Did secretly I want the King to leave the war with Flanders or intended to seduce Antonio Perez
an order himself? Why is that allowed King to escape? The
evidence appeared to point to one answer and on other occasions another, until
that, as if a dizzying spiral concerned, nothing seemed to be true. The
fabric of the story is stretched at its seams and threatened to fraying.

When I prepare a character I need to know why this story
worth telling.

To be sure, Antonio del Real, we ran between the fog. We were
telling a story, a version of the facts of this thinning ocean
Deductions and this was our history, our version. If it makes
anyone reread the history books, we have achieved something. If we know that historians are acting like sniffer dogs, would also be good.
We were creating a fiction, and we needed spectacle, drama,
tragedy, comedy, blood, action, love and more than anything, a good
knot and denouement. We make decisions and we stick to them,
all its complexity. For my version of Antonio Perez the ego and greed are
intermingled, but at the same time, he tried to print on what
I looked at each character that he interpreted: the imperative of
do the right thing.

Therefore, the public will find, hopefully, an emotional experience
and very entertaining, but my overwhelming memories of the shooting are something much more personal wealth and timeless beauty of its castles, palaces, cathedrals, libraries and all the many incredible locations - of which had never been seen in a movie or even by the public,
food - more like a royal banquet - we shared throughout the
team in each of the dazzling cities that dot the country,
often being the guests of the local mayor, but always full of
laughter and warmth along with the team's experience filming and the actors,
many of whom already knew, but generously gave us welcome
Julia and me among them. Finally, and above everything else,
I take with me the feeling of having had the great fortune to spend two months of my life to help turning a dream into reality.
Last edited by Chari910 on Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:59 pm

This english actor, who studied law in Bristol University, has been strutting his obvious English posture and manners through the most demanding british stages and Hollywood sets. In “La Conjura del Escorial (The Escorial Conspiracy)”, he faces a double challenge. First, to play Antonio Perez, a character that is pivotal in this story and second, to do it with historical accuracy without avoiding the fact that Perez was a very charismatic and attractive person in the 16th century and, therefore, in the 21st century too.
He tells, in a very personal manner, how tough filming this movie has been for him, what was his first impression when working with director Antonio Del Real and in what way has the history of Spain has pervaded his knowledge and free soul.

Would you like to film a movie here in Spain for two months? It’s a historical thriller. There are castles, murders, conspiracies, horses, love, revenge, a lot of velvet (LOL!) and to make things better, Julia Ormond. It was evident that this conversation with my agent was going to be shorter than what I had imagined.

Who do I play and when do I start?, I asked him, very enthused.

I think the hero. The King’s advisor, Antonio Perez. No..wait! hold on. Let me research..yeah..no…I think he’s the villain . He plans a murder. No..wait..hold on..it says here that it’s about the Prime Minister. He’s in love with Julia’s character, the Princess of Eboli but…I think he’s married. Or is she the one who’s married? Or was she? I’m not sure…

Don’t worry. I’ll find out. When do I have to go to Spain?...In two days.

Thus began this journey full of knowledge, that got me obsessed, confused and utterly entertained. I hope the audience feels the same way as I did.

When I prepare myself for a character, I need to know that his story is worth telling. I’m ashamed to say this but, in my school we weren’t taught anything about the Spanish Empire. I knew very little about King Phillip II, and names like Antonio Perez, Princess of Eboli and Juan de Escobedo were new to me. And so was this infamous conspiracy to murder the king, provoking the readjustment of the power in the biggest and most powerful court in the world. I had to ask the director, Antonio Del Real, if this story was based on true facts.

When I found out the reality of the events, or at least a version of them, I knew what made this story so relevant: in a this historical context in which this great empire was involved in a very expensive war, fought in foreign lands, in which many innocent people were being killed, a man is trying to make a secret pact with the enemy, in order to make the troops come home, representing his boss, and at the same time, getting richer. The possible parallelisms with modern history and moral complexity go beyond.

Like always, when making a historical movie, there were a long list of writers, historians and other experts that contradicted each other. Each one of them had a different version of what happened. The movie’s plot was getting less and less clear. Julia and I tried to absorb all the different interpretations in order to put all of them into our characters. Was the relationship between the Princess of Eboli and Antonio Perez sentimental? Or maybe she was trying to cover him up or maybe he was gay, since there had been some allegations in France? Was the King aware of this conspiracy, to eliminate Escobedo from this equation? Did the Princess know? Was Antonio Perez the illegitimate son of the Prince of Eboli? Did the king, secretly, wanted to withdraw from the war with Flanders or intended to lead Antonio Perez to his own downfall? Why did the King let him escape? All the evidences seemed to lead to one answer, and sometimes it lead to other answers, until the point in which nothing seemed to be true. The fabric of this story was stretching and its threads were threatening to fray.

With security, Antonio Perez was leading us through the fog. We were telling a story, a version of the facts in this thinning ocean full of deductions, and this was our story, our version. If this makes the audience re-read the history books, we’ve done our job. If we make historians act like hound dogs, we’ve done our job too. We are creating fiction, we are and we need entertainment, drama, tragedy, comedy, blood, action, love and above all, we need a good beginning, climax and resolution. We take decisions, and we wrap around them, with all its complexity. For my version of Antonio Perez, ego and greed are mixed together, but at the same time, he was trying to do the right thing. This is something I look for in every character I’ve played.

Because of all these reasons, the public will find, hopefully, an exciting and entertaining experience. Even though my overwhelming memories of this movie are more personal: the beauty and wealth of the castles, palaces, cathedrals, libraries, and all the great locations, some that had never been filmed in, the food, more like a royal banquet, that we shared with the entire cast and crew in one of the most breath-taking cities, abundant in this country. The set, always full of laughter and warmth along with the experience of filming with the cast and crew, some actors already knew each other, but they welcomed Julia and me with generosity. Finally, and above all, I take with me the great luck of spending two months of my life making a dream come true.

All I can say is...DAMN! I've never translated so much in my life!!...and if he actually said all these things in spanish (which..I doubt)...then...*taking off her hat* his spanish is better than mine!...I had to take out...TWO dictionaries!..and let's just say...I have chunks of hair missing from my scalp!...but I did this with so much excitement and again...whenever you need anything translated! Come to me!..the Spanish Translator
And sorry if some of these things don't make much sense...it's a little late and like I said...some of the words in this interview were hard to translate...so if you don't understand something, I'm incredibly sorry...I tried my best!
Peace Out!

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:24 am

You did such an EXCELLENT job, FC. It's such a long and complicated interview but it demonstrated how good an actor Jason is. He is always so involved with the project from the ground up.

This movie is going to be such eye-candy to say the least. The costumes are so luxurious and Antonio Perez's and Princess Eboli's are all stunning.

We THANK YOU for your fantastic effort. *clapping emoticon*

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:51 am

FC, dear, thank you very much! :hug
Your help is really appreciated!

I'll read the interview later when I have more time.

~me

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:06 am

:hands :hands :hands :hug
Brilliant work once again, Alejandra!

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:11 am

thank you FC for all your hard work and diligence in doing this
translation for us.... :woot

fantastic job you did, and fabulous interview...

Sea Lion Woman

Post by Sea Lion Woman » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:11 am

Awww thanks!
Yeah...even though it was a complicated interview...it was an excellent one to read!
It was very personal...and I love the last paragraph...he seemed like he was really thankful to everyone...
Such a sweetheart!

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:04 am

It was very personal...and I love the last paragraph...he seemed like he was really thankful to everyone...
Such a sweetheart!
Yes, it seems our dear Jason really enjoyed doing the movie, nice interview!

~me

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:12 am

Interesting that JI says he never heard about Philip II--he was the monarch who dispatched the Spanish Armada to conquer Elizabeth I for once and for all, and get a Catholic monarch back on the throne.
But then DH says that he never heard a word about the American Revolution when he was in school in England . . .

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:26 am

I think he said he knew 'very little' about the king and none about the other characters.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:59 pm

Wow ... sample scrips, new interviews! You have been busy, Char!
Thanks for all the new goodies, and a big thanks to Alejandra for once again providing the translation!!

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:46 am

Char, your new page is so impressive, I linked to it as the source for more info on Escorial on our CV page. I hope that's okay?

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:03 am

Of course it's ok, Hil. You don't really need to ask..

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:32 am

Wonderful interview. It's always nice to read how he approaches a character and story—getting inside the head of an actor.

Thanks for posting, Char, and many thanks for the impressive translation, FC.

Helen

Return to “La Conjura de El Escorial (aka The El Escorial Conspiracy)”