First Review from nachoares.com, Princess Eboli website

A fencing Jason Isaacs--in tights, no less!! Sorry--a historical drama concerning machinations and maneuverings in the court of Spain's Philip II, erstwhile husband to England's Queen Mary Tudor and dispatcher of the ill-fated Armada. Velvet and ruffed collars. Unfortunately, it appeared only sporadically in theatres, and is tough to find even on DVD.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius, kate, again

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

First Review from nachoares.com, Princess Eboli website

Post by Chari910 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Translated by Google:

July 23, 2008

Today I have been one of the lucky ones who could see in the film The El Escorial Conspiracy. Accompanied by a cast of journalists and important people in the world of communication, I have enjoyed with enthusiasm during 130 minutes of something that, however much you or have you lived so closely as I do not think the final result.

The film is simply fabulous. Anyone who knows my inclination for the role of the protagonist may think that a review is easy. Quite the contrary. I could point out that the figure of Princess Eboli, is not precisely a very good place, but we want to or not this is the image that has given us the history of it, and in that sense, the work of Antonio del Real limited largely to the profile of frivolous and intriguing woman who has remained Doña Ana in the cultural wealth in the history of Spain.

I must admit that the film is not one of my great passions but I am convinced that this film will be a success. This is one of the best historical films of recent times, a film genre that has all the ingredients to make you glued to the screen for more than two hours.

The plot of the film revolves around the death of Juan de Escobedo (Joaquin de Almeida spectacular), secretary of John of Austria, brother of Philip II, and possible reasons surrounding his murder between different characters who populated the court of Spain in 1578.

Jason Isaacs makes a fantastic Antonio Perez, with that regustillo of cynicism and insightful man who only knows he put into his characters. But for the cynicism of the character of Julia Ormond (Princess of Eboli). Both protagonists of a love story surrounded by interests and ambitions very well presented on the screen, with bold humor and stinging original numbers that add to the characters.

As mentioned above, Princess Eboli, offers the image of women that history has left it, especially from criminal proceedings against Antonio Perez of the decade from 1580. Her story with Antonio Perez (here tells one of the possible solutions to the mystery of captivity Doña Ana) is wonderfully well-told, adding many of the anecdotes from the life of Princess, a fund of political intrigues and passions of a story in which it is well illustrated one of the most misunderstood features of Princess Eboli, once widow Ruy Gomez de Silva in 1573: its status as mother worried about her children and a woman with a perfect free right to do with your life what she liked.

The love story between Damiana (White Jara) and the sheriff Espina (Jürgen Prochnow) is perfectly spun and integrated into the film, so that serves as a backdrop to the rest of the story. It's a party I liked most. For nothing is something forced at all. Both are great.

Curiously, Matthew Vazquez (Jordi Molla) appears here as a hero, when in fact history does not offer any argument which demonstrates that this was a religious saint. However, I liked the role of Jeanne Coello (Rosana Pastor) in which, finally, recovering the image of women delivered and faithful to her husband (Antonio Perez) despite being vilified by him. A perfect workmanship of the selflessness that he showed this great woman until the end of her days. Rosana Pastor, great.

Philip II (Juanjo Puigcorbé), which for me is one of the best, we are proposing a Philip II fleeing the ambiguity that normally has given history. Here is a man hard, fun and who knows perfectly how to react at every moment before the problems, after being advised by his two trusted men, Antonio Perez and the Duke of Alba (Fabio Testi) who, by the way, the role will neither painted.

The music of Alejandro Vivas is a real price, as well as designing the costumes and photography in general. Antonio del Real has managed to get the external (El Escorial in Madrid and elsewhere, Jaen, Toledo, the Algarve Portuguese, etc.). Your best. The reconstruction of scenes (clothing, atmosphere, etc.). Makes dive into a time machine until the sixteenth century. All doses perfectly seasoned with action, adventure, romance, tension and humor, form a spectacular balance with a frantic pace from start to finish.

We must not miss the opportunity of the day on September 5, 2008 to go to the movies and see it with all its quality on a huge screen.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:41 pm

Great review, it makes me even more excited to see the movie.

Thanks Char!

~me

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:38 pm

Me too, Angel. Even without Jason I'd still go see it.
I'm a sucker for period pieces.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:51 am

glad 2C the first review is a positive one...let's hope we'll be able 2C
it here in the US, and Canada....

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:13 am

Fingers crossed, tightly!

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:25 pm

If not the movie maybe the DVD will be sold here with English dubbing or sub titles.

Return to “La Conjura de El Escorial (aka The El Escorial Conspiracy)”