Watch Curse of Steptoe on BBC iPlayer!!

A BBC4 biodrama about the lives of the actors portraying beloved stars of seminal sitcom "Steptoe and Son". Jason Isaacs earned a BAFTA nomination for his portrayal of Harry H. Corbett! First aired 19 March, 2008.

Moderators: thunder, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:26 pm

I'm really glad to read all these positive reviews, I look forward to seeing it. Thanks Ruth!
-smiles-

It's nice to know that our dear Jason is brilliant in it! (well, his performance is always brilliant).

~me

OTink

Oh Well

Post by OTink » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:37 pm

I downloaded the link, but it did nothing, so I am going to uninstall it now. Oh well. Thanks for trying.

I guess we'll have to wait until the movie comes out in theaters. I'm sure they'll make it a film and follow in the original footsteps of the original show, which I understand made two films after the television run.

FAQ
Can I use BBC iPlayer outside the UK?

Rights agreements mean that BBC iPlayer television programmes are only available to users to download or stream (Click to Play) in the UK. However, BBC Worldwide is working on an international version, which we will make available as soon as possible.

ibelong2me

Post by ibelong2me » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:21 am

Even if your DVD player is not Multi-Reg it is worth checking for hacks online. I bought a cheap player (does not record) that was just region 2 but looking on Amazon saw there was a hack to make it multi-reg! worth double-checking at least.

Have noted all requests so far! Shall def get them done by the first week of April if not earlier, talk about a well timmed week or two off work. ;-)

Good to hear that they are working on a international version though, it was brilliant to watch.

Everyone is so kind and sharing here am happy to be able to contribute!

DhaniGrrrrl

Post by DhaniGrrrrl » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:45 am

What exactly is a hack?? Could you ellaborate, please??

Yeah, I know, I'm kinda tech illiterate, over here, lol..

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:07 pm

Not certain about for the DVD player, but I think usually a hack is just a change to the software, not something for which power tools are required--you alter the code providing instructions to something. Manufacturers caution that performing such a hack will generally void the warranty; much of the time this is strictly a 'CYA' admonition, and a lot of the changes we wish made are in response to strictly capitalist concerns--it's my understanding that region coding, for example, exists so that viewers of a movie in a part of the world that ignores copyright laws more blatantly or that has easier/cheaper access to equipment for illicit duplication cannot readily copy movies and sell them to other parts of the world before Warner Bros. or whoever gets a chance to do the same.
However, there's also obviously a chance you could do something wrong and totally hose your box.

DH did a hack on our DVD player that upgraded the playback mode (i.e., improved the picture quality): he found it on a forum that may have been hosted by the manufacturer, opened the main menu for the DVD player on the TV screen, followed some rather arcane instructions, typed in a code, et voila--nicer piccie.

DhaniGrrrrl

Post by DhaniGrrrrl » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:18 pm

Hilary the Touched wrote: However, there's also obviously a chance you could do something wrong and totally hose your box.
Aw crap, and that would be just my luck, too...

Rose (lazy again)

Post by Rose (lazy again) » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:34 pm

angel_of_music wrote:
However, there's also obviously a chance you could do something wrong and totally hose your box.
..... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

~me

Yeah, there is that danger = but if the info is on Amazon I think it is a good chance of being trustworthy. The hack I had just involved pressing buttons on the remote in a certain order. Nothing technical, thank goodness!

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:41 pm

I remember someone talking about this on another site....there is an internet site you can visit, that lists by manufacturer, how you can make
your recorder or player Region Free...
I knew I should have kept that address...sorry..
But, it can be done with the remote, not having to take apart your device.
A Region Free DVD Player can only be purchased online here in the US..
you cannot buy them in stores...about $150, maybe by now, the price
has dropped a bit...
I have a Region Free DVD player, and don't use it (unless I have something from our folks across the pond)....
Thanx Hils for the info, though...

DhaniGrrrrl

Post by DhaniGrrrrl » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:53 pm

I just looked at the manual for my DVD/VCR, and according to it, under the catagory of "regional codes" it states:

This unit has a regoinal code printed on the rear of the unit (I checked, it is indeed region 1). This unit can play only DVD discs labeled as the same as the rear of the unit or "ALL".

Now does that mean what I think it does, that my DVD player can play multi region discs??

If so, then that'll be kinda...Sweet.

If not, oh well...I'd love to figure out a safe way to MAKE it mutli regional...

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:01 pm

No, Dhani, what it's saying is that it can play DVDs for the region shown on the back (Region 1) AND/OR it can play DVDs that are region-free--that is, the disks themselves are set up to play on any regional DVD player.

DhaniGrrrrl

Post by DhaniGrrrrl » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:04 pm

Okay...Thanx for clearing that up, Hil!

Now, if I could get my hands on a region free copy of Curse of Steptoe, lol..

ibelong2me

Post by ibelong2me » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:40 am

Just want to reassure peeps that I am still doing the DVDs, have done a couple already and just need to batter family out way to get to the recorder. ;-)

Things have not gone as quick as hoped due to some offline events - but didn't want anyone thinking I had forgotten. :D

R

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:51 am

Aaw, thanks Rose--hope the "offline" stuff is all good and happy!

Rose being lazy

Post by Rose being lazy » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:31 am

Hilary the Touched wrote:Aaw, thanks Rose--hope the "offline" stuff is all good and happy!
Sadly not...but what does not kill us makes us stronger! Well, keep trying to tell myself that. ;-)

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:51 pm

:hug Sorry, mate!

Return to “The Curse of Steptoe”