Reviews

This independent British production concerns the adventures of a pair who provide mysterious services to couples contemplating marriage. It was a festival favourite in 2010 and is available on DVD.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:58 am

It's being screened on the Gotenburg filmfestival (Sweden) at the moment, and the first "reviews" are up. I can try to translate them if we can post that here...(and if no native Swede wants to do it, I'm Norwegian after all - quite capable of understanding Swedish, but it's not 100 % perfect).

Both people who has blogged about it, and they like it. They think it's a strange film, but strange in a very good way. The film is interesting and very well made. :D Nothing about Jason's performance...

http://www.filmstar.se/sv/193715/2010-0 ... skeletons/

http://www.catenaccireflections.net/201 ... etons.html

(It's all in Swedish...)

Gotenburg is only 3 hours drive from where I live, but I don't have time to go right now. So close, but still so far away :-(

thunder

Post by thunder » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:18 am

Sorry about double posting...

Skeletons will be shown at the South by Southwest filmfestival March 12th -20th. That's in the USA, I believe. (Austin, Texas?)

http://www.sxsw.com/film/screenings/films/

It's under "emerging visions". Not much info on the film, though. But so far, I can only find good reacitons to the film.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:48 am

thanx thunder :hug

:woot :woot :woot

around the same time that GZ premieres :cool:

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:11 pm

Brilliant, Thunder!
Ima go out on a limb here and declare that a translation of an article constitutes enough original work or content to fall outside copyright restrictions, and beg, bring it on!

(p.s. you have a custom title! :D)

thunder

Post by thunder » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:53 pm

OK, I'll translate the Swedish reviews (I'll do my best, at least).

While you wait, you can enjoy this link with a picture of JI from the film. Malfoygrandma tipped me off on YT, I don't know if it has been posted before.

Nick Whitfield, who was making his debut with this original black comedy, also managed to involve Jason Isaacs as the extremely disturbed boss of Davis and Bennett.

:D

Edit: I forgot to post the link :oops:
http://www.filmfestivalrotterdam.com/en/films/skeletons
Last edited by thunder on Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Nice, thanks Thunder!! :hug
Is it my impression or does he look too old in that picture?I don't know, maybe it's the big mustache...

~me

thunder

Post by thunder » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:21 pm

Here are the translations of the reviews. The second one was a very hard to translate so I hope you get some sense out of it. My first language is Norwegian... So it's not perfect Swedish translated into not perfect English, if you understand what I mean...

http://www.filmstar.se/sv/193715/2010-0 ... skeletons/
Skeletons
The first real surprise of the festival comes from England. They try to sell it in the program by saying that it is a “Kaufmanian film”. That feels like a cheap trick to make people like me go and watch – which is working. But I know how it usually is. If they use names associated with high quality, the result in most cases are embarrassing. But then there are exceptions to this rule, of course.

The film is about two gentlemen who work as some kind of “detectives”. Their job is to search through the closets of different couples and find things that the couple is, literally spoken, hiding from each other. Later, they tell the couples about what they have found, and then they never come back. (ME: I think it means that the “detectives” never come back)
One day, they are hired to try and find a lost partner in a relationship. It immediately becomes complicated and the film becomes almost a mystery where you your self can puzzle and wonder about what happens when different people travels in and out of each other’s brains and memories.
It may sound messy – and it is. But it is properly told, and it’s done in a very direct and consistent way, and it never takes any unnecessary detours. It’s very focused and intense with small means. Nick Whitfield is a man to keep an eye on, since this debut promise a lot for the future. It’s almost so you dare to call out that Europe has gotten its own Charlie Kaufman.

http://www.catenaccireflections.net/201 ... etons.html
It is hard to give a short resume about what Skeletons is about, because it feels like it has so many layers and possibilities of interpretations that it becomes almost impossible to explain it in a short way. But this is a small attempt: Two guys have the profession of cleaning Skeletons out of people’s closets. One day, they are entrusted work by a wife whose man has disappeared without a trace. This case seems to be more difficult than they expected and things aren’t going according to their plan.
Sounds interesting? I think it doesn’t. But we are dragged onto a journey that doesn’t look like anything I have seen ever before. It’s starts off pretty weird, but halfway into the film, it clears up before it gets twisted again. But it is cool, interesting and good. And, I must say, much multilayered. I let my associations float freely and I get served a lot of different messages. Something I think it’s extra cool. The film is simple (ME: simple is the closest word I can think of right now) in a laidback, cozy and fun way. I also unbelievable analogous (ME: not sure what he means here) and most of the dialog happens when the lead characters are walking. Yes, it sounds completely crazy, and it is. But it’s crazy in a good way and it makes Skeletons a lovely little film festival gem.

Thanks for the title, Hilary! I do my best... :lol

catloveyes

Post by catloveyes » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Thank you very much thunder.....this took a great deal of time and I appreciate that. :hug

malfoygrandma

translation insanity!

Post by malfoygrandma » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:46 pm

:mrgreen: I just loved Thunder's translations from Swedish through her own Norwegian, and into our English! Wonderful! And to translate about a weird off the wall film classified as "black Comedy" must make all of it that much more difficult! Now I just MUST see this little film, and Jason being the "Supervisor of Exorcists! Thanks a lot, our official translator of Viking material......Love Milady Malfoy

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:09 pm

Now I just MUST see this little film
Yeah, me too!

Thanks for the translation, Thunder!

~me

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:35 pm

That sounds a cracker, and I'm renewedly glad that it hasn't sunk down the cinematic black hole.

(Thunder, I'd forgotten that you come from Scandahoovia--MG's address is almost better. Would you rather have a reference from a poem by the guy who wrote the Winnie the Pooh stories, or be our Official Viking Translator??)

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:03 pm

thunder, thank you for the translations. I'm concentrating on the last few words, though:

Skeletons a lovely little film festival gem. :wheee

Now we all have to wait for it to come to a film festival near us . . . or a reasonable driving distance near us. :roll:

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:50 pm

Film festivals love quirky, and this sounds just quirky enough to turn some heads.

And if they're the right heads ... who knows? It could get a wider release.

Thanks for the translations, thunder!!

thunder

Post by thunder » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:39 am

My pleasure translating, glad I could make use of myself.
Hilary the Touched wrote: Would you rather have a reference from a poem by the guy who wrote the Winnie the Pooh stories, or be our Official Viking Translator??)
The viking title is just a product of Malfygrandma's sense of humor... :mrgreen:

:oops: ...so I think I prefer the one I already have
If something new in Scandinavian comes up, I'll be ready again. I like to exercise my language muscle. :D

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:09 am

Now we all have to wait for it to come to a film festival near us . . . or a reasonable driving distance near us
I'm not counting on it, as we don't have many film festivals here. Guess I'll have to wait... (I can only hope that it will get a dvd release).

~me

Return to “Skeletons”