DVD Region 1 will be out Oct 19

This independent British production concerns the adventures of a pair who provide mysterious services to couples contemplating marriage. It was a festival favourite in 2010 and is available on DVD.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:32 pm

there used 2B a website, that had individual DVD players listed by brands,
telling how each could be 'decoded'....try and google it....how to unlock
dvd or uncode...

to my knowledge, "Region Free" DVD players can only be purchased online

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:26 pm

I have seen Region Free players for sale at some stores here (Norway)

...but there might be different rules in different countries...

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:07 pm

I don't know if they sell region free players at stores here where I live.
I think they do, but will check it out.

~me

warriorprincess

Post by warriorprincess » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:16 pm

I might be able to get a hold of a copy.............with any luck!

Love Kathleen

Heather

Post by Heather » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:09 pm

Just to let you all know that I have seen a few copies for sale on ebay UK and the sellers are willing to post worldwide, you would need a region free DVD player

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Skeletons-DVD-NEW ... 1e5ea91265

This one is quite reasonable.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:03 pm

Amazon does list region free DVD players but I hate to buy something that I can't inspect first and ask questions about.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:10 am

Heather wrote:Just to let you all know that I have seen a few copies for sale on ebay UK and the sellers are willing to post worldwide, you would need a region free DVD player

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Skeletons-DVD-NEW ... 1e5ea91265

This one is quite reasonable.
Thanks Heather! :hug

~me

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:06 am

thanx Heather :hug thanx grannybear :hug

good info to know :woot

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:20 am

Chari910 wrote:...We went the Wizarding World of HP today....no signs of Lucius anywhere..sigh.
How is that possible? Image

I finally watched my copy last night. I was saving it to fill the great void left by Mad Men.

Char said it was weird; she got that right. I did enjoy it though, as it was quirky and I like quirky films. The two main actors are also very good.

Two minor issues for me:
- certain things, like, exactly how they do what they do, are not explained. But, just activate your suspension of disbelief function and you're all set.
- some of the dialogue was muffled, especially Jason's. This was more noticeable in the deleted scenes though; perhaps they fix the sound only for the scenes that stay in? As the subject matter was not such that I could guess what he was saying, I just had to replay the scenes and try to read his lips. The mustache, which I absolutely love Image made lip-reading near impossible.

I know some of you are thinking that too little screen time for Jason should also be an issue, but that's a given. Image

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:18 pm

- some of the dialogue was muffled, especially Jason's. This was more noticeable in the deleted scenes though; perhaps they fix the sound only for the scenes that stay in? As the subject matter was not such that I could guess what he was saying, I just had to replay the scenes and try to read his lips. The mustache, which I absolutely love made lip-reading near impossible.
We would have like to play it with the hearing impared feature on so that the words would appear but - the feature was not available. :-(

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:10 pm

It helps to listen several times, (and use head phones as well...). But the throat-talking, along with the strong Nothern English accent, makes it quite a challenge to understand everything.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:12 pm

Northern English accents are difficult to understand :oops:

~me

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:50 pm

DH and I watched it last night. I have also recently taken to viewing quite a lot of things with the closed captioning on, but like Marie, couldn't find that on this disk! :-( I am fortunate in having an in-house translator, so I made out all right!
We enjoyed it very much--thought the acting was terrific and the directing spot-on. Deliciously deadpan. Fruitbat is right, you've got to sign off on reality and just go along for the perplexing, interesting, charming and ultimately heart-warming ride.
And honestly, I wasn't left pining for more Jason--certainly his CHARACTER was in it just enough. This one's a definite keeper.

*possible spoiler*

The scene where the mum is serving dinner made us laugh--that would be Sprog's dream meal. She is a big fan of the white food group.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:35 am

I really enjoyed it in all it's wierdness (well all but the tounge scratching and tasting bit - that was cringe worthy!!!) The ending was delightful and put a smile on my face. The acting was understated and terrific. The two lead actors have very expresive faces. And yes - of course there was not enough Jason in it - he was really lovely!!

I won't bother watching it with my DH - he has no ear for Britspeak and is always asking me "what did they say?"

kate, again

Post by kate, again » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:18 am

Watched Skeletons last evening with my beloved, Mike.

Definitely a keeper. Very heart-warming, funny and sweetly surreal (if you can believe that!).

The acting was wonderful and understated. The musical score added to the melancholy yet hopeful atmosphere. The lensing was truly exquisite. Shows what a first-time film maker with huge talent can do with virtually no budget.

I agree that it could have used a subtitle feature. Thank god for replay arrows!

Cheers,
Kate

Return to “Skeletons”