Kate Atkinson Interview

Based on the popular and critically acclaimed novels by Kate Atkinson, this mini-series was shot on location in Edinburgh and was quickly followed by a second season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Kate Atkinson Interview

Post by Chari910 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:26 pm

I saw on your web page that Jackson Brodie is coming to TV. How do you feel about your words being turned into something visual? How involved will you be in the adaptation?

TV well, it's been a long time in the making so I've got used to the idea. The test for me will be when I get to write another book with Jackson Brodie after having now seen flesh put on his bones, but very attractive flesh, as it were, in the form of Jason Isaacs. I've been more involved than has been good for me probably. Also they have filmed in my home town and I know quite a lot of cast and crew - my son-in-law is the transport captain - so that's been quite odd as well. I think for the second series I'll try and be a little more hands on to keep the scripts in good order.

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/default/articl ... z1MkHMU2n2

fruitbat

Re: Kate Atkinson Interview

Post by fruitbat » Wed May 18, 2011 6:48 pm

] I get to write another book with Jackson Brodie after having now seen flesh put on his bones, but very attractive flesh, as it were, in the form of Jason Isaacs. I've been more involved than has been good for me probably.
Funny, I feel that I've been more involved than has been good for me. Image
..... I'll try and be a little more hands on to keep the scripts in good order.

Ok, I'll grow up now.

Thanks Char.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Wed May 18, 2011 7:15 pm

I think it's great that she sounds so truly enthusiastic about this project. I suppose at some level she kind of has to, but her response to JI sounds pretty genuine!

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Wed May 18, 2011 8:06 pm

I think the TV adaptation will be great (and, of course, it will give her inspiration to write more!)

~me

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Wed May 18, 2011 9:20 pm

Chari910 wrote:
I think for the second series I'll try and be a little more hands on to keep the scripts in good order.

What's this about a second series? Did I miss something?

a.p.k.

Post by a.p.k. » Wed May 18, 2011 10:25 pm

Chari910 wrote:
I saw on your web page that Jackson Brodie is coming to TV. How do you feel about your words being turned into something visual? How involved will you be in the adaptation?

TV well, it's been a long time in the making so I've got used to the idea. The test for me will be when I get to write another book with Jackson Brodie after having now seen flesh put on his bones, but very attractive flesh, as it were, in the form of Jason Isaacs. I've been more involved than has been good for me probably. Also they have filmed in my home town and I know quite a lot of cast and crew - my son-in-law is the transport captain - so that's been quite odd as well. I think for the second series I'll try and be a little more hands on to keep the scripts in good order.

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/default/articl ... z1MkHMU2n2

LOL

I just know that's going to be in my head every time I see a picture of him now ... "very attractive flesh."

LOL

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Thu May 19, 2011 5:20 am

grannybear I think she is referring to her writing another series of books with Jackson Brodie
(although I could be totally wrong and she is referring to having another JB series on tv)
hopefully if the tv happens, she will be involved in the writing...

After seeing Jason as Jackson Brodie, sounds like she has gained inspiration for his character

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Thu May 19, 2011 8:33 am

it's been said all along the way that Case Histories might get a second season too, but not sure what she means here... :scratch

Amazon's title for the DVD is Case Histories - Series 1. But that doesn't mean that we wil definitely get a season 2.

Thansk for sharing the interview :D

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Thu May 19, 2011 8:58 am

Sounds like in second series she wants to get her hands on his very attractive flesh.....just kidding. :D

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Thu May 19, 2011 9:35 am

I think for the second series I'll try and be a little more hands on to keep the scripts in good order.
Hmm, this is not clear, but I believe she was referring to having a second series on TV. I don't know, she kept us guessing, we can't be sure...

~me

inamac

Post by inamac » Thu May 19, 2011 10:22 am

It's interesting that in this interview:

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/feature ... 6474848.jp

last August Kate Atkinson said
"I might not be writing about Jackson any more. Well, not for a while anyway.... The fact is, I feel completely written out about Jackson. But I felt I had to bring him to the point where I could leave him for a while. I need some new structural device - I know readers say you should marry him off or something, but I need more than that: something you can hang a plot on."
On the other hand...
"...before she next brings Jackson to life "maybe in Paris, maybe a noir book of Jackson in America".
So if there isn't already material for a second season, there may soon be (not that the TV people couldn't being in other authors - a la Morse.

And she does appear to have been inspired ;)

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Thu May 19, 2011 11:17 am

'Very attractive flesh ...'

*repeat ad infinitum*

Umm ... where were we?

I think her words about the 'second series' bode extremely well. I'm sure the producers can't make any decision until earliest viewing figures (although they do normally announce that there will be a second series almost as soon as something has finished) but, if they want to make more Jackson Brodie for TV, lack of novels isn't going to stop them. Kate Atkinson will clearly retain a lot of say but that does not mean she will have to pen all the stories. 'Based on a character by ...' will suffice.

Still, if she gets to be 'hands on' with regard to the screen representation of her character how can she not want to be as involved as possible?

Happy already.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Thu May 19, 2011 11:42 am

Even if she doesn't write more books about Jackson Brodie, the can still continue the tv series with the character (if she has sold the rights to it)

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:43 am

About the "hands on" comment: Since she didn't write the scripts for the screen versions, the next go round, she wants to have more input on what goes or stays in the story, how her words are used or changed, how her characters are represented, etc. Writers always have a hard time letting go of their work.

belladisordine

Post by belladisordine » Thu May 19, 2011 7:40 pm

Chari910 wrote:Sounds like in second series she wants to get her hands on his very attractive flesh.....just kidding. :D
Who could blame her? *mutters something about 'back of the line we were here first'*

Return to “Case Histories”