Interviews

Based on the popular and critically acclaimed novels by Kate Atkinson, this mini-series was shot on location in Edinburgh and was quickly followed by a second season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

inamac

Re: Interviews

Post by inamac » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:47 am

Chari910 wrote:
Is he as buff as the Action Man dolls of him in leading acting roles that his disturbing fans have put up at jasonisaacsonline.com? Etc.
So..are we DISTURBING fans now?? :evil:
That amused me - if the journalist was surfing the internet looking for fan sites he'd have found a LOT more disturbing things than here! (Jason's fans are really quite restrained, on the whole.)

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:03 am

thunder wrote:Excellent long in depth interview about Case Histories and life in general:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ ... -anonymous

If you only read one interview this year...

I just noticed that this article is featured on the first (cyber) page of The Guardian with a different pic. I'm posting only because I think the first page part is excellent and the pic is lovely too.

The Guardian

MTA: you have to scroll down a bit; it's not as important as Wimbledon or Syria.

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:26 am

Angel Tavington wrote:
But finally, last week, a new Mr Darcy was born when Jason Isaacs burst into living rooms in BBC drama Case Histories.
Mr.Darcy??? I love this comparison... ♥

~me
Angel, the Darcy/Colin Firth comparisons are the reason I'm curious about Jason turning down the role of Rochester. He's another literary character who women find fascinating.

a.p.k.

Post by a.p.k. » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:33 am

Can I just note that whoever transcribed the interview with Mr. I, or maybe the reporter herself (is it a she? I didn't look) was rather sloppy. They quote him as saying, ""Kate's novels, which I listened to as audiobooks long before I got this part ..."

Sloppy journalism. Unless he spaced and actually said that (that he "listened to" the audiobooks).

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:03 am

fruitbat wrote:
Angel Tavington wrote:
But finally, last week, a new Mr Darcy was born when Jason Isaacs burst into living rooms in BBC drama Case Histories.
Mr.Darcy??? I love this comparison... ♥

~me
Angel, the Darcy/Colin Firth comparisons are the reason I'm curious about Jason turning down the role of Rochester. He's another literary character who women find fascinating.
Blinkin' heck. Jason and Rochester ... I don't think I could have taken it, to be honest. Mancrushing indulgence on an epic scale. Maybe he knew he would actually be a threat to the health of womankind so he turned it down.

Just to say though - it's not actually a comparison with the character of Mr Darcy as such, simply That Moment when Colin Firth emerged from a dip in a lake in a wet white shirt ... that instantly elevated him to National Lust Object.

Digging Grave for Dead Dog And Subsequent Deshabillé Wiping Down Moment doesn't quite have the same ring to it, but it works just fine for me ... :cool:

inamac

Post by inamac » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:37 am

a.p.k. wrote:Can I just note that whoever transcribed the interview with Mr. I, or maybe the reporter herself (is it a she? I didn't look) was rather sloppy. They quote him as saying, ""Kate's novels, which I listened to as audiobooks long before I got this part ..."

Sloppy journalism. Unless he spaced and actually said that (that he "listened to" the audiobooks).
I think that the journalists hear what they expect to hear - when most people say 'I read the audio-book' they mean 'I listened to the audio book' - not that they actually recorded it for other people to listen to.

Edit: My partner suggests that he should say 'I narrated the audio book' - but then, she's a pedant *g*

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:03 pm

Well, he called us disturbing, then we call him sloppy. An eye for an eye... :twisted:

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:10 pm

But I don't want to be viewed as a disturbing fan.............. :-(

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:13 pm

Mr Darcy as such, simply That Moment when Colin Firth emerged from a dip in a lake in a wet white shirt

For our mothers' generation, Olivier set the standard for Mr. Darcy, Heathcliffe, and Rochester. Many actors since have been able to raise that standard: Colin Firth, Timothy Dalton, Toby Stephens. Romantic heroes. *sigh*

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:34 pm

• The name of a downloading website has been removed pending investigation.

when you try to open the link for jasonisaacsonline, it doesn't open...from the Guardian interview...maybe someone read our displeasure over the
disturbed fans statement...

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:20 pm

Maybe I'm dense but "Disturbing Fans" seems an odd choice of language to describe us. Don't really understand.

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:17 am

I have been a 'fan' (hate that bloody word, but let's face it, what else am I?) of Mr I for several years now, and knew about the existence of this site for most of that time, but I resisted joining for a long time. Initial searches on google do take you (as I recall) to that part of the site - the part with the doll pictures. OK, I can have a giggle as much as the next person, but if that is the first thing you're going to find here (which this journalist clearly did) then it can seem rather ... overly dedicated, shall we say. I'd even go so far as to say that was one of the reasons I resisted joining. I know it's all tongue-in-cheek and I admire the skill involved, but, yeah, it's a little too much for my taste and probably for other people's too. (Sorry for the honesty - I'm just trying to explain this guy's perception.)

But now, I am not even sure I could find my way back to those pages. The only link I have to this site is the one that takes you straight to the message board (ie here) where I find the discussions insightful, restrained and dignified - about as far from 'disturbed' as you can get. I wouldn't be here otherwise.

And the fact that Mr I sends in such lovely emails rather implies that he isn't exactly 'disturbed' either.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:45 am

JI on The TV Book Club on More4 (I think it's on June 26).

http://twitter.com/#!/charljohn/status/ ... 8186390529
http://twitter.com/#!/charljohn/status/ ... 6156116992

Talking about CH and reviewing a book, if I didn't misunderstand anything.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-tv-book-club

For those who can watch...

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:47 am

Initial searches on google do take you (as I recall) to that part of the site - the part with the doll pictures.

laurie, thanks for pointing that out. Wasn't aware of this. I assumed that that reporter actually looked at all parts of the site, not that the dolls were one of the first things people see. I wonder if there's anything we can do about that. Hilary?

Wonder how many Jason fans have been deterred by it? Glad you decided to finally join us, laurie. We prefer bright, discriminating minds, as witnessed of everyone who posts here . . . minus the damn spammers, of course.

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:12 pm

laurie, thanks for pointing that out. Wasn't aware of this. I assumed that that reporter actually looked at all parts of the site, not that the dolls were one of the first things people see.
Well, I certainly wasn't taken to the message boards, which is the reason I'm here now, and I remember being a little surprised when I came across the dolls, I admit. :shock:

I mean, each to their own, and I'm sure they are done in good humour, but the sense of irony is usually lost on people approaching something out of context.

That's just me. I'll shut up now.

Return to “Case Histories”