Review

Based on the popular and critically acclaimed novels by Kate Atkinson, this mini-series was shot on location in Edinburgh and was quickly followed by a second season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

fruitbat

Re: Review

Post by fruitbat » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:45 pm

Helen8 wrote:

"As my Wife said, Jackson needs to open his mouth wider."

Works for me. :cool:

A few comments on that board indicate that people couldn't understand what was being said and not limiting it to Jackson. This leads me to wonder if there will be subtitles on the dvd.

inamac

Post by inamac » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:57 pm

My DVD arrived today! There are subtitles (in English) - and since I watched the series with subtitles on (I'm slightly deaf) I may also use those when I'm watching.

The sound on TV shows generally isn't as good as it could be - they use most of the digital bandwidth for the picture and unless you have a high-end TV or add a separate sound system you rarely get good sound - it's often better on the DVD.

crawfoc99

Post by crawfoc99 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:32 pm

I only had one bugbear. Jackson Brodie talking with his mouth full. His words were completely garbled!

I posted a comment as well as they're still posting a week after the final episode, which is great news that the show is staying in the minds of so many people.

Hooroo,
Carole

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:15 am

a few of those comments are a bit crazy :cherub
(in a good way :D )

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:17 am

That's a good way of saying why everything he does looks real.
It's as if he is really that person.
And this is real acting, you convince others that you are that person- Jason seems to master the art!

~me

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:02 am

inamac wrote:My DVD arrived today! There are subtitles (in English) -
Thanks Inamac.

crawfoc99

Post by crawfoc99 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:45 am

Here's a nice review of the Case Histories DVD now available in the UK. Nick Clark gives it 4 out of 5 stars.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 04901.html

DVD: Case Histories: Series 1 (15)(Rated 4/ 5 )
By Nick Clark

So another television crime drama emerges on DVD. For those who feel fatigued by the genre, it's worth brushing aside all qualms and diving into Case Histories.

It's fronted by the charismatic Jason Isaacs as a former policeman eking out a living in Edinburgh as a private detective. There are a few hoary old clichés thrown in – troubled past, ex-wife threatening to take his child away – and it's too flashback-heavy in terms of his own personal tragedy. But these are small quibbles for a series that has a commanding lead and an interesting structure. The six episodes are not book-ended by individual crimes; the stories extend, intertwine and develop.

Even more reason to buy this.

Hooroo,
Carole

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:54 am

Thanks Carole ....... Another good review for CH and Jason. Now if they would finally say if and when it will play in the States.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:52 pm

Curious timing on this one, but it's effusively positive, so we'll take it: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv- ... 1ntcd.html

crawfoc99

Post by crawfoc99 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:28 am

Here's an even more effusive review of Case Histories, the DVD and of course, Jason's performance.

http://blogcritics.org/video/article/dv ... ing-jason/

Hooroo,
Carole

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:43 am

Great! =)

~me

inamac

Post by inamac » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:14 am

crawfoc99 wrote:Here's an even more effusive review of Case Histories, the DVD and of course, Jason's performance.

http://blogcritics.org/video/article/dv ... ing-jason/

Hooroo,
Carole
Very good review - though there are a lot of spoilers which might annoy some people who might be interested in the series. (And I love 'Luscious Malfoy'!)

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:40 am

Yikes! That Luscious didn't have quotes around it. The writer really spelled it wrong. tsk tsk No editor, eh?

Thanks, Hilary and Carole. Glad CH continues to get really good buzz.

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:45 pm

I want to send him a set of OVEN MITTS. :finger:
That scene where he removes a piping hot pizza out of the oven, and carries it about ten feet to a nearby counter made my fingers hurt. OUCH! *blowsfingersoff*

~ML :loco :brows :cool:

ln419

Post by ln419 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:51 pm

oh..THAT? It's a slight of hand used by us lazy people with asbestos hands who don't bother with pans under pizza in the oven; ya just redistribute the weight (and heat) of the pizza around all 8 fingers (don't bother with your thumbs) until you arrive at your destination (be it 10' or whatever, and move really quickly). Takes a bit of practice, thats all. Good luck!

Return to “Case Histories”