Reviews

This is a TV series about a police officer after a fatal car crash killed either his son or his wife. He lives in two realities. One where his son survived the accident, and one where his wife survived. He doesn't know which is the real one, and he doesn't want to know. It aired on NBC, and was cancelled after one season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Reviews

Post by Chari910 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:04 pm

Reactions from the 4min+ trailer shown at the Upfronts have been very positive from many sources I found. On Twitter, people are really excited about it as well.

Few notable ones:

I like this comment from TV Guide:
Besides Smash, the new NBC show I'm most excited about is also slated for midseason (with no time slot yet): Awake, an immediately gripping drama about a man....Jason Isaacs has electrifying star presence as the tormented family man who's seeing shrinks (Cherry Jones, B.D. Wong) in both worlds, but as he tells them, provocatively, "I have no desire to ever make progress" if it means keeping both alive — at least in his head.

Is Awake too offbeat, too exacting, for network TV? Can it sustain over the long haul? Any time a new show prompts me to ask such questions, I know it's a show I want to see more of. After too long of being asleep at the wheel, NBC finally has something on the horizon to make us wake up and take notice.
From DaemonsTV:
Awake makes me think of the TV and male version of the movie Passon of Mind starring Demi Moore. And since I loved the movie and I love Jason Isaacs, this is the perfect match. Definitely looking forward to this one.

grannybear

Re: Reviews

Post by grannybear » Wed May 18, 2011 3:06 am

What wonderful reviews. I hope NBC has the sense to find a spot for it soon. Maybe midseason is best. Away from the frenzy that seems to be taking place by the networks in the fall. This way it will stand out. Just hate to wait that long.
Thanks for the good news Char.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:27 am

thanx Char :hug

I totally forgot about the movie "Passion of Mind" I luv that movie!! (although I'm not a big demi moore fan)

everything I've read has been positive, except for a few, who think people won't like it, because it makes
you think...oh come on people...LOL

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Wed May 18, 2011 6:56 am

The difference between success and failure can e when it airs. It if is a replacement for something that fails - perhaps the show failed because it was up against a powerhouse like American Idol. Or a Friday at 10PM time slot. I'm glad they will be able to film a season - hopefully Awake will be given a good chance to succeed (and a good time slot.)

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Wed May 18, 2011 7:37 am

Hey, NBC! The critics say you have a good show here. Don't mess it up. Give it everything you've got.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Wed May 18, 2011 7:59 am

Wow, reviews are already showing up??!!Nice to hear positive things, "Awake" has everything to attract audience, it has a strong storyline and a wonderful actor in the leading role. ;)
everything I've read has been positive, except for a few, who think people won't like it, because it makes
you think...oh come on people...LOL
Well, the series "Lost" was a success (at least here) and it made people think. It's not like any other show- when you finish watching an episode you can actually spend a lot of time just thinking about it. I sense it will be the same with "Awake".

~me
Last edited by Angel Tavington on Wed May 18, 2011 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:03 am

As Char stated, twitter has been going crzy for the past few days, and everyone seems to like what
they saw, and Jason too :cool:

this could be the series that makes him a household name, or a bit more popular here in
US than Brotherhood (helps 2B on network tv, and not a pay cable channel)

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Wed May 18, 2011 9:22 am

It's about time he gets the recognition he deserves.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Wed May 18, 2011 9:23 am

It looks like the extended trailer really makes an impact... Everyone's talking about it (and him). Hope the buzz last until it gets aired.

(mid-season my a...)

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:47 am

thunder..I feel the same way. One critic did say that the good thing about mid-season release is they will have ALL the episodes shot and in the can.

..and less possible to get early cancellation since they won't have anything to replace it.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Wed May 18, 2011 4:35 pm

When I read all the shows cancelled (13 by ABC alone) and then the new shows to replace them it sounds very confusing. We don't want Awake to get lost in the crowd. Besides with an early start filming they'll have more time to get it right. Of course it could go the other way. They may have to rush to get it ready to take the place of a faltering series. Oh well, as long as it gets filmed.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:50 pm

Is Awake the best new US TV show this year?
Well, judging from the trailer for ‘Awake’, it certainly has the potential. Jason Issacs is a great character actor, and here he’s obviously going to get to take a character through all sorts of emotional moments. Plus it has the obvious ‘Lost’ vibe of future weirdness barely hinted at through the detective angle. Will he get to solve crimes via his alternate reality? Effectively be in two places at once? I’m very intrigued already. Of course, that melancholy music really suits the trailer.
From http://www.filmchronicles.com/is-awake- ... this-year/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Awake – stars Jason Isaacs as a cop who gets into an accident and wakes up to find himself in two alternate realities. The audience has no idea which is real. Perhaps neither is real. It looks like it might be too difficult for TV viewers to understand (much like Flash Forward) and those shows usually get the ax. However, Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy in Harry Potter series and villain in The Patriot) is a FANTASTIC actor and if anyone can pull it together and keep you tuned in, he can. It also stars Cherry Jones and I LOVE her.
Awake

Ah, now we’re talking! This midseason series looks great – moody, atmospheric and emotional. Its story of a cop (Harry Potter’s Jason Isaacs) who finds himself living in two realities after a car accident — one in which his wife died in the accident, one in which his son died – feels different in all the right ways, with some cool elements showing the overlapping layers of the two realities and the questions raised about which life is “real,” if there even is a true answer to be found. Isaac’s speech about his sanity at the end is awesome and you can tell he’s going to completely sell this complicated scenario. In short, this show looks so interesting and clever, I fear it will inevitably be a very hard sell on network TV, where easy to explain series seem to go down much better. But here’s hoping Awake doesn’t get lost in the shuffle.

LadyLucius

Post by LadyLucius » Wed May 18, 2011 8:58 pm

Just managed to watch the trailer. It's awesome. So happy this got picked up. Looks fantastic!

LL

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Fri May 20, 2011 6:58 am

From Digital Spy
That dark premise had us intrigued from the start, but with Brit actor Jason Isaacs on board in the lead role, we were sold.
He may be best known now for his be-wigged role as Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter films,
but anyone who's seen him in Showtime drama Brotherhood or the Golden Globe-nominated BBC mini-series The State Within knows that Isaacs has the chops to pull off what seems like a difficult lead role.
http://cybernatedworld.blogspot.com/201 ... awake.html
This is going to be the one to watch this spring. Awake is a new Sci-Fi TV series coming out and it looks like a winner........
Unfortunately what in scared of is the season getting cancelled because of people getting scared off by the big Sci-Fi heading it's under or because it's being called the next Lost.
It's not the next Lost and don't be scared, this is the next big TV series to love... and you better damn well love it!

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Fri May 20, 2011 7:20 am

Each review seems to be better than the one before. Midseason is a long way off.

Return to “Awake”