Spoiler discussion of Episode I, the Pilot

This is a TV series about a police officer after a fatal car crash killed either his son or his wife. He lives in two realities. One where his son survived the accident, and one where his wife survived. He doesn't know which is the real one, and he doesn't want to know. It aired on NBC, and was cancelled after one season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Spoiler discussion of Episode I, the Pilot

Post by Chari910 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:59 pm

I wasn't impressed with the casting of Steve Harris at first but he is funny! This show needs light moments that can bring some humor instead of being serious all the time.

Both the therapists were excellent. Of course our Jason is flawless in every scene. I think the green cast in his son's reality makes him look older though.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Re: Spoiler discussion of Episode I, the Pilot

Post by Marie » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:51 pm

I agree with you completely Char - with such a sad story line it is very important to inject some humor. I think that was Brotherhood's shortcoming - there was very little humor. I'm anxious for March 1st. Kind of bummed that it is going up against the Mentalist (another show with a Brit acting as an American!) and a show I like very much. Since I get up at 6AM I'll have to DVR both shows.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:22 pm

Will the Mentalist be on reruns though? That will help Awake.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:24 pm

Both Mentalist (Aussie, not Brit) and Private Practice will be in reruns that night! Yay!!! It'll get a chance!!!

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:22 pm

I thought the pilot was great. But I have a feeling the rest of the episodes will be a bit different (more about his work and family life, maybe, and less about the psyciatrists). Just hope the rest of the episodes will be released on the net too, so I don't have to wait so long...

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:50 pm

Just hope the rest of the episodes will be released on the net too, so I don't have to wait so long...
Fingers crossed! =)

~me

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:28 am

there was a Google Alert yesterday, stating something about parts of eps 2 and 3 being released next week...not the entire eps, but I guess a bit
of spoilers....I deleted the alert (by accident naturally)

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:30 pm

I also found Steve Harris hilarious, especially with his forbidding expression and deadpan delivery, and agree that he's an important contrast for Det. Britten.
And I thought the overall conceit was, as Ruby observed, utterly simple and comprehensible.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:36 pm

DH turned to me at the end and said, "That wasn't complicated at all." I did have to clarify the Constitution-reading thing, though.

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Sat May 05, 2012 5:24 am

So I watched it last night over here in the UK.

Jason was wonderful. He carried the entire thing himself.

It wasn't remotely complicated, not at all.

I just hope it develops in terms of character and script. I did not find the other characters compelling enough to support an entire premise, or the dialogue insightful and dynamic enough. I fear that is where it may be failing. I wanted to delve more; it was all sort of set out and left at that. A few cosy chats with shrinks does not equate to complex psychological insight. Far from being too complex, it is simply not penetrating enough. There are any number of cop shows out there, this one needs to trade on the deeper duality. And, oddly, it didn't really do that enough.

I so want to like it. I like it for Jason (and will continue to watch it for him), but at the moment, not a lot more, to be perfectly honest. I am optimistic it will develop.

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Sun May 06, 2012 10:35 am

I'm glad someone from the UK chimed in with their thoughts and views. Thanks, LL! :D

Yes, Jason does carry it well, but then I've always thought he was leading man material- and I am not saying that because I think he is handsome. He's got some sort of weird, totally instinctual, innate ability to meld with his characters whether they are the lovely, evil bad men, or a good guy and to bring out all of their nuances- even in ridiculous movies like Event Horizon- and to make the viewer bond with his characters. Even my mom has bonded with at least a couple of his characters, and she's tough nut to crack in regards to Hollywood. It's a different sort of something than my other favorite male actors (Firth, Sewell, Craig, Owen). I can't put my finger on it. It just "is."

Personally, I thought that the 2nd episode was much tighter than the first. I suppose that was because they wanted to set up the premise first, and make sure they had everyone on the same page, before they zipped off & running in the 2nd one. The 2nd one also seemed to move more quickly, and you also get a deeper sense of who Rex and Hannah are, because you will start to spend some time alone with them. His partners also start to grow a bit more. I do like Bird-his dry, sarcastic comments elicit various snorts of amusement from me- so he's alright in my book. (But then we've already established that I seem to require less humor to survive a dramatic show than, perhaps, the ordinary bear.)

Well, you've also heard my laments about US TV, so anything that rescues me from the dregs of the pablum that they feed us in re: to reality shows and the Kardashians, I'm already biased towards watching it! :cherub

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Wed May 09, 2012 10:23 am

Sadly, Awake is the product of a major network trying to secure success during what's more or less prime time. That means avoiding affront, confusion, or confrontation, since if the wrong people are offended, they write to advertisers who provide the funding for these programs.
I'm a little sorry it isn't an HBO production, for example, as is one of my other faves, Nurse Jackie. HBO is funded by subscribers, who might not like one show or another but are more likely to ignore it than to cancel their subscription, so HBO can afford to take more chances.
But Awake has hooked both my DH and my cynical, sarky, jaded Sprog--and they ain't watching just for the JI fix.

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Wed May 09, 2012 11:10 am

Hilary the Touched wrote:Sadly, Awake is the product of a major network trying to secure success during what's more or less prime time. That means avoiding affront, confusion, or confrontation,.....
And you can add "promotion" to that list of things they seem to avoid. :-(

Return to “Awake”