Dawn (New movie)

Based on the novel by Elie Wiesel

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

marilaine

Re: Dawn (New movie)

Post by marilaine » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:16 am

Looks good. Wish the info type was a tad bigger. Can't read that small font. *goingblind*

~ML :loco :brows :cool:

BethMI

(A Little on Good) and Re: Dawn (New movie)

Post by BethMI » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:51 pm

"Good" totally threw me on the end. I don't want to say too much as some people might not want spoilers, but I just stared at the end credits with my mouth open and tears in my eyes. I had expected it to hopefully end differently. I guess that says a lot though for how moving the movie was because it affected so many of us to be moved to emotion. I don't know how many times I will be able to watch it, even though I do own it in my collection. I've watched various versions of "The Diary of Anne Frank" even though I know how it is going to end because the story is so moving.
LadySekhmet wrote:Jason's characters' death are uncomfortable enough (except for the above Mustache), but this one looks like it could be almost as heartwrenching as the end of Good. I might have to be armed with a box of tissues in my bag when I go to see this movie...or maybe I'll just wait until it comes out on DVD to cry quietly in the comfort of my own home.
Thank you so much for the clip. I watched it, and it looks very good. I'm with LadyS on the fact that tissues might be needed. For me it all depends on how the movie plays out both for Jason's character and the others in it. The clip stirred emotions, but if the before and after aren't really there it might not work. I have confidence that his performance will be 110%, but a weak plot can still kill it. {keeps her fingers crossed on what she thinks will be a good bit overall}

~Beth (Michigan)

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:07 am

I read the book this summer, and if that's anything to go by, I don't think the plot will be a problem. But it all depends if the person watching it is open the story and the characters, and I believe some will find the story controversial. Also, the dialog will not be English throughout the whole movie. Reading subtitles isn't a problem for me, but as I understand it's a problem for others... so I'm not sure how it will be received.
...but I'm quite sure the movie will be good.

ln419

Post by ln419 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:11 pm

thunder, where did you see Dawn wasn't all in English, but had subtitles? Never caught that info...I knew it was made in several languages, but hadn't realized it would have subtitles. e

thunder

Post by thunder » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:49 am

IMDb lists Hebrew and French as languages. And Joel Basman has said in an interview that he had a coach for speaking Hebrew (don't remember where I read that, sorry). And this http://dschointventschr.ch/dv/stage/fil ... N&lang=_en says Hebrew and English are the languages. (So they will need to use subtitles, but it doesn't say that anywhere).

thunder

Post by thunder » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:26 pm

IMDb say it will be in cinemas in Switzerland on March 1.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2316567/

We can only wait...

ln419

Post by ln419 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:44 pm

I'll be thrilled (but very surprised) if it makes it anywhere in the states besides NY and LA, they're the 2 cities that have the largest Hebrew speaking communities and sub titled movies just don't get very far in the rest of the country. Hope it comes to DVD soon. e

thunder

Post by thunder » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:50 pm

This link says more about languages and subtitles in the movie. Say English, French and Hebrew are the spoken languages.
http://www.swissfilms.ch/en/film_search ... 2146547385

I hope I will be able to get hold of a DVD with English subtitles, but if I have to, I'll read German too.

ln419

Post by ln419 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:32 am

Hmmm, doesn't even say it's going to be shown in America. Well down from NY/LA to nada... (and so far, Amazon's never heard of it either, wonder if we'll have to order it through Amazon.co.uk...?) e

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:32 pm

Sometimes you have to be a freekin detective to be a Jason Isaacs fan! :???:

ln419

Post by ln419 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:57 pm

Maybe Jason Isaacs will drop us an email and let us know what's up...and when, where and HOW we can see his movies, that would be exceptionally good. Leave the sleuthing to Jackson Brodie, we already KNOW what's up with HIM...e

thunder

Post by thunder » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:53 pm

IMDb has changed the premiere date for Switzerland to Oct.1. :cafe

ln419

Post by ln419 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:28 pm

Thanks for the info thunder, this is indeed disappointing news.. :-( e

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:08 am

As long as we we'll see it in the end, I won't complain.

Some indie movies never get released/distributed even if they've made the whole thing...

ln419

Post by ln419 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:08 pm

thunder, don't they at LEAST spin them into DVDs to try to get some of their $ out of it? I mean why go to all the trouble to make a movie that never gets shown at ALL? :huh ln

Return to “Dawn”