Bacardi commercial (voice over)

This forum is for audio books, voice overs, radio plays and voice acting.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Bacardi commercial (voice over)

Post by thunder » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:41 am

servalan

Re: Bacardi commercial (voice over)

Post by servalan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:50 am

It says the video is not available "in your country"!

I'm a bit surprised at him doing an alcohol commercial, I thought he didn't drink. Maybe the money is very good - it usually is for commercials.

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:31 am

It surprised me too. But as you say, the man's got to work... It's just a voice over. He won't have his face/name on the posters, and the voice he uses isn't even his usual one.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:31 am

Hah - I always said being a Jason Isaacs fan could drive you to drinking!

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:14 pm

Really like his voice in a lower register. :adore

ln419

Post by ln419 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:23 pm

Hahaha, the whole thing is pretty funny! I think he just doesn't drink wine, but I don't think he does a LOT of drinking, but I could be very wrong-just hard to act when you're drunk... ;-) . Helen, THAT is what I think of as his AMERICAN voice. For some reason, when he does American, it's in SUCH a deep register-it's like he uses his larynx as a subway station! (close your eyes and listen to Michaels Caffee or Britton), you can put your hand on the screen and it'll vibrate the voice is so low. Irish, Scottish, English-is all a might lighter, and his normal voice. I think it's hysterical, and I'm sure it paid a pretty penny, it seemed they're going with his voice for a LONG time, so that'd include residuals...good for him!! ~ ellen

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:43 pm

Sounds like his voice in Elektra.....

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:58 pm

Yeah, I've noticed the deeper register, too, when he does an American accent- but this seems deeper than normal. Don't get me wrong, it's still loverly. :)

Well, last night, coming out of the train station, I noticed Clive Owen's billboard for some liquor (can't remember) and it was...uh...*mind gets stuck on memory of handsomeness* impressive. Himself may not want to be visually associated with Bacardi, but if they photographed him like they did Clive Owens, there would be a lot of happy ladies. Although, on second thought, if you can't remember the brand they're shopping because you can only remember the piccie, then it may not be so successful for the company...lol.

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:06 pm

Can't see/hear it due to geographical anomaly. :mad:

But, from your descriptions, and with the concept of a booze advert in mind, I'm hearing a cross between Leonard Rossiter and James Earl Jones.

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:13 pm

Ooh, found it for us UKers. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp6A7IfMYbQ

Hope that works, Servalan.

(I was wrong on both counts. He sounds like Jason Isaacs with an American accent.)

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:30 pm

(I was wrong on both counts. He sounds like Jason Isaacs with an American accent.)
That made me laugh!!!! :D

servalan

Post by servalan » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:16 am

I wasn't quick enough! The video is withdrawn due to a copyright challenge. :-( But thanks for trying, Laurielove.

If it's not widely known that it's Jason, given the American accent and the fact that he isn't seen, he won't get associated with the product anyway. I wondered if one reason he did it was because it's a bit rebellious to say good things in the US about a product that stresses its Cuban origins (given that I haven't seen the ad, I'm just going on the description).

ln419

Post by ln419 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:55 pm

He DOES the chameleon thing well even with his voice. Not only is it VERY deep, but raspy too, so you really have to know his voice to recognize it. I agree with Servalan, I'm not 100% sure everyone who knows him off the street as LM would recognize the voice, so he probably won't be equated with Bacardi to ALL of his fans. But it's a GREAT commercial, great visuals too (sorry for you 'out of towners', I'm sure ONE day you'll see it on a TV in your home!). I don't think it's B/C it's Cuba, that ruckus seems to have died down. The bigger ruckus is in the Mid East, and in Washington DC itself, and Russia and, and...fin. ~ ellen

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:36 pm

Nope, although we have a weird political situation (which slowly seems to be relaxing), Cuban rum and Cuban cigars are still beloved and Bacardi is a huge brand over here. Things may be tense within the Cuban-American communities, but outside of them, I think that there is mostly curiosity about Cuba now because it has been closed to us for so long. Bacardi has strong US relations. I doubt they were associated with the current Cuban regime (otherwise they would not have offices in the US), so I'm not sure how Jason could be thumbing his nose at the US (?) by doing the commercial, Cuba, yes, but the US (?).

thunder

Post by thunder » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:02 am

Even if Bacardi is of Cuban orgin and emphasis it, the add is very anti Castro. Saying they survived the communist revolution in hte 1950's and had to go into excile. Nothing there to promote the Cuban regime today.

Return to “Voice Work”