Filming begins

Jason plays Peter, an FBI agent who investigates the murder of an archaeologist in Jerusalem. While doing this, he uncovers a 2000 year old conspiracy. The event series was filmed on location in Jerusalem, before the production had to move to Croatia and New Mexico.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Re: Filming begins

Post by thunder » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:33 am

revenante wrote:Cheers Ellen! Just makes me even more cross that the chances of my seeing this series in the UK are pretty much nil...
Grrr! :rave
Don't give up yet. There's always some way on another.

I thought scuddy was something else. :oops: :mrgreen:

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:18 pm

*cough* Expert commentary? Well, if that includes overly enthusiastic tweets to Himself about his archy pix, I'll take it. lol.

I did see that tweet revenante and I tried to not think about it so that I would not become bedridden and have to call out sick. lol. Well, it seems that Jason's character is settling right into proper archaeology life and following in the grand tradition of getting scuddy on digs (although we try to keep it out of the trenches. hahah!). There have been many fine & passionate romances that have blossomed on excavations (however, if they last past the plane flight home is a completely different story...). *whistles innocently*

crawfoc tweeted an article about Dig (and some of the political ramifications - but that discussion is not for this post- but perhaps the politcal link somewhere else on this board) and it mentioned that they were filming in Solomon's Cave, which seems to also be called 'Zedekiah’s Cave’. I hadn't ever heard of it (since I don't do Israeli archaeology & I've never set foot in Israel), so I dug around (ehehee) to find some open access info (i.e., archaeological articles where you don't need passwords to read the journal). Aside from the wikipedia page (*rolls eyes*) which will have all of the dirt (ehehehe.... sorrynotsorry) on the gossipy low-down, here's some info. It's a little bit dry, but that's because this is really how archaeologists write when we are not being chased by large, rolling boulders or fighting off aliens. The archaeological excavation in the cave is fairly recent, so this is about it as far as reputable/academic sources.

http://www.hadashot-esi.org.il/report_d ... mag_id=112

http://www.hadashot-esi.org.il/report_d ... mag_id=119

This is a nice overview on the cave by the NY Times, written WAY before the excavations:
http://www.nytimes.com/1985/12/01/trave ... d=pl-share

And here are some pix of the cave - if you click on the link, it will take you to some fairly decent photos of the cave without actors wandering around. lol.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Categ ... h%27s_Cave

I have found all of this info because I am procrastinating re: writing a talk for Saturday. Yay, me! :ninja

ln419

Post by ln419 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:22 pm

Lady S, you are a hoot! :yip . Point of info, in the 2nd link, 7th pix, all that burnt orange colored stone, is the color of "Jerusalem Stone". Many homes use this color stone, giving the sunset color of the city the name "City of Gold". ~ellen

thunder

Post by thunder » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:25 am

Thanks, LadyS. :D

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:07 am

New look at Dig with small trailer for the show (courtesy of my friend via facebook via yahoo) Thank you, friend! If you'd like to stand up and take a bow for your sleuthing, please do!! :D

https://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/excl ... arebuttons

So far, so good. :-)

Jason hasn't posted any more archy pics. It would be nice to have more pix of dark, shallow holes and a very handsome man. ;-) I'mhoping that is just because he's done filming in the cave for now, and not that peope haven't chased him away from twitter/instagram. :-/

ln419

Post by ln419 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:36 am

Lady S, I wish you were right, my gut says otherwise. No one likes to be bullied, be it face to face or in cyber-space. It's difficult enough just being there in the midst of much angst. I bet he's using his phone as a phone and not so much as a camera these days. Maybe in his next email to us he'll send pictures for ya! ~ellen

thunder

Post by thunder » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:19 pm

Thanks for posting, LadyS. (and thanks TB) Hope I will get to see it sometime...

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:28 am

http://instagram.com/p/pqSZNkHpRG/#

Wonder if that wedding band is Peter's or Jason's?

ln419

Post by ln419 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:08 am

Jason doesn't normally wear his band, does he? I mean if he's not married for a role, he won't have it with him at all I've noticed. I'm guessing Peter must be married. There's not much to do for kids in J'lem but walk around and shop...more fun on the coast a couple hours away (which considering where he usually has a job, is a short commute! ;-) ) ~ellen

ln419

Post by ln419 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:21 am

I think I may be noticing a pattern, late night shooting Thursday nights, then off Fridays to get ready for the Sabbath in Israel...(that's the routine in entire country). I'm not sure they are allowed to shoot on the Sabbath in J'lem, I'm not sure. Their weekend is Fri-Sat, not Sat-Sun. ~ellen

thunder

Post by thunder » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:33 am

He posted a pic on instagram from last night.

Maybe they don't take weekends... ;-)

ln419

Post by ln419 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:34 pm

yup, just noticed that...so much for my theory :bag: ~ellen

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:28 pm

I believe Jason gets a little break to go home before they start again. 4 weeks for 1 episode! I hope he doesn't have to be there for 6 months :shock:

ln419

Post by ln419 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:30 pm

I thought he'd get a tiny break between episodes too. I think he's going to be there for a LONG time, Episode 1 took a month to shoot, I can't figure why each episode would take as long, (although a month of shooting for an hour worth of film DOES seem a bit much, but consider they are working under really difficult circumstances. Everything takes longer in Israel...I learned this when I was a very little girl; takes longer and is more difficult (but NOT when you're on a tour). Although if they expect a fall release, they're going to have to move things along; Sept is in 2.5-3 months! (perhaps they mean Nov/Dec)
And it didn't seem like he had a second to leave J'lem. Hopefully he'll get a day or so to get to the coast area to do some fam visits. So close and yet SO far...sigh. Two different worlds really, J'lem/Tel Aviv ~ ellen :roll: (why do I remember or think he has something on a burner after this? Did I dream it, or are they just releases??)

catloveyes

Post by catloveyes » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:39 pm

I would think he would need a break from shooting...it appears each episode will take some time to film. I also hope he doesn't have to be there for 6 months, Char. :roll:

Return to “Dig”