Premieres on LifetimeTV

Saoirse Ronan plays a young woman who struggles to adapt to a normal life after being kidnapped for most of her childhood. Jason Isaacs plays her kidnapper.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Re: Premieres on LifetimeTV

Post by Helen8 » Thu May 07, 2015 12:13 pm

Haven't a clue what y'all are talking about. [whistles innocently]

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Sun May 10, 2015 11:15 am

Did anyone see this? What did you think?

Lifetime hasn't got it up yet, and with the other movies they have on there, we have to sign in with our cable accounts.
So I think I will have to *cough! wait for the DVD :cherub

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sun May 10, 2015 1:03 pm

Crap I forgot to tape it. If I don't have a post-it-note stuck to my forehead I'm hopeless.

amy223

Post by amy223 » Sun May 10, 2015 5:48 pm

I watched this morning as a (slightly warped) Mother's Day gift to myself.

I loved it. What a tremendously complicated story, about complicated things--on the one hand, I completely get why Marcy ended up doing to Leia pretty much what Ben did. God knows, I've been there myself some days. On the other hand, jeez louise. I won't give it away in case you haven't seen it, but the ending really unsettled me, moreso than the premise to the story--that is, what happened to Leia, and what Marcy ended up doing to her (which was unsettling, too, just not as visceral as the END end, if that makes sense--hard to do without spoiling). Mostly because Ben was good to Leia (it seemed like, other than you know, locking her in a basement her whole life), and I could feel his pain, the deep longing he had for someone to love and for someone to love him back. I think we can all empathize with that.

I also think this was about what the people who raise us can do to us, the power other people can have over ourselves. In the end, Leia takes back her power...or does she? I don't know...it was beautiful and sad and complicated and unsettling and yet very, very identifiable. I totally see now why they chose to air it over Mother's Day (USA) weekend. :D

This would be a movie, if I ever taught a class on human relationships, that I'd show and create assignments about. It will stay with me a long, long time...I love it when that happens.

amy223

Post by amy223 » Sun May 10, 2015 5:51 pm

Marie wrote:Crap I forgot to tape it. If I don't have a post-it-note stuck to my forehead I'm hopeless.
You are not alone, Marie! I can't remember a frickin' thing either! I need a personal assistant to keep me straight, but I can't find someone who will work for hugs and high fives. They always want actual cash.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun May 10, 2015 8:04 pm

I watched it this morning . . . couldn't keep my eyes open to watch it last night . . . spent yesterday walking around the San Diego Zoo . . . lotsa hills in Balboa Park. :gah:

So glad it wasn't what I'd expected it to be about. I found myself sympathizing with Leia, Marcy, and Ben. Didn't see the twist coming at the end. Saoirse Ronan always surprises me in everything I've seen her do since Atonement.

Marie

Post by Marie » Mon May 11, 2015 8:11 pm

I've got to try and see this.

Hope Lifetime shows it again.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon May 11, 2015 9:37 pm

Marie, don't you have DVR/TIVO?

Marie

Post by Marie » Tue May 12, 2015 2:56 pm

The stupid crappy cable TV one.... You have to actually find a showing before it will accept a recording event. With the TIVO you could just put in the name and if it ever came on it would tape. Not this BrightHouse piece of doggie poo.

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Tue May 12, 2015 8:34 pm

I have some Canadian channel called "Lifetime" but this wasn't on. Just now, actually, as I typed, I thought of checking to see if that channel has anything available "On Demand". (When I get home from work. :D )

Tosca Nini

Post by Tosca Nini » Wed May 13, 2015 5:25 am

Still completely incapable of watching this movie, navigating aimlessly. :bang

But read some of the discussion on IMDB and they give away the ending. Kind of glad I know it, because it's strange and it's better to be prepared and not so shocked. Just don't know when I'll be able to see it. Frustrating, because if the movie was nominated for the Critic's Choice Award it is probably good and worth having...

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed May 13, 2015 2:02 pm

Not this BrightHouse piece of doggie poo.

So sorry , Marie. :hug

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Wed May 13, 2015 8:02 pm

I missed it! And I can't find it on demand. Booooooo!!!

Edit: I went to the website and it seems that it will be playing tomorrow at 8pm and Friday 5/15 at 12 AM. Obviously, Lifetime wants me to see it for my birthday.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Sat May 16, 2015 11:25 am

I've saw it this morning. I thought it was very good, and deserved a lot better reviews than it got.

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Sun May 17, 2015 2:00 am

I-because a friend and were catching up on out GoT episodes- forgot to watch the Thursday night airing. But I was reading in bed, and remembered the midnight airing, so I hopped out ofbed to watch it (I had a vacation day on Friday). Unfortunately I missedthe 1st 30 minutes, wch, I assume,had the most J in it? I always find those types (abduction) of movies to be disturbing, and it was. Since I must have missed J's part, I was mostly creeped out by Cynthia Nixon and Saiorse. Wow. And the end was just as creepy.

Return to “Stockholm, Pennsylvania”