Dragon Con 2016

Comic-Con et al.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

amy223

Dragon Con 2016

Post by amy223 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:57 am

Hello fellow follyers, long time no post. This is your prodigal member Amy.

I'm currently trying to decide if I want to go to Dragon Con next month or not. I will confess that, though I've lived in this town since 1998 and am familiar with all the roads, highways, etc I do dread driving into downtown Atlanta and dealing with crowds, traffic, crowds, crowds, and traffic. But I've always wanted to go to Dragon Con and see the cosplayers (oh, the cosplayers! They do fascinate me).

I don't have a pass, I'm not sure I'm going, and even if I do I'm not sure I'll get an autograph from Mr. Jason (I know. I KNOW! You guys, I'm a terrible fan, seriously his worst). But I'm putting this out there to see if any fellow fans are maybe going and can tell me if he's doing a panel session--that would be something I'd drive into Atlanta to do. I've been to the DC website and can't find any information about it. I have a dear friend who has a vendor booth there each year yet he was no help. He just let me know Dragon Con is like a 10 block sprawl and a butt load of people (which did NOT ease my intimidation and downtown Atlanta anxieties).

(I bet you guys are going: what's your point, Amy?) Basically what I'm asking is: I'm feeling really intimidated by the whole thing yet want to go for at least one day, just for the experience, so I'm trying to cull information from different sources/resources to make a decision. Does anyone have information? About anything? (I can tell you all tons of stuff about what I've been told the vendors area is like and a popular karaoke party at The Hilton each year, but that's all I've got so far.) Also: if any of you plan on going and I do end up deciding to buy a one day pass, I will come say hello! I'm not shy, just overwhelmed by the gigantic-ness of what Dragon Con appears to be.

fruitbat

Re: Dragon Con 2016

Post by fruitbat » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:33 am

amy223 wrote:...

I don't have a pass, I'm not sure I'm going, and even if I do I'm not sure I'll get an autograph from Mr. Jason (I know. I KNOW! You guys, I'm a terrible fan, seriously his worst). ....
Nope. That was me. I didn't even know he was coming to Toronto until the day before. It was too late to get tickets and I already had plans.

Amy, I hope you can make it.

amy223

Post by amy223 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:24 am

Aw, well thanks for that, fruitbat. You're sweet to answer. I'm still very "eh, I dunno" about it (maybe THAT'S my answer :D). All my introversions are hyperventilating right now, yet I'd really like to go. (I'm going to see if I can drag a local friend into doing it with--game plan B ;-) .) Dragon*Con is so gigantic; not like Comic-Con, but still. I just thought of you all because I knew you had a board about Conventions Jason attends so I hopped on here to see if anyone had helpful thoughts. I'm information gathering. It's how I do. :-)

Thanks so much. :-)

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:14 pm

Hi Amy, Dragon Con has not posted its detailed schedule yet. So although I'm going, I have no idea if Jason will do a panel. I can tell you he normally does. If he does it will be Sat, Sun or Monday. I already have the four day pass (or membership). Autographs do cost money - but Jason is an absolute gem - really the kindest sweetest man - so you should really put aside any introvert thoughts - the man makes you feel like an old friend. Keep checking the Dragon Com website - and app. I'm sure the schedule will be posted soon. If you do decide to go you can PM me here and we can meet at the convention after you get your one day pass (those are only sold day of the show). I have a lot of fun at sci-if fantasy conventions. The fans are all so friendly and the costumes that some of them wear are pretty amazing. I know a couple of others from the board are going as well - so we won't be the only ones from The Lost Girls.

Do be warned though - many times stuff comes up for the actors and actresses (like a filming goes longer than planned) - I know Jason is in Australia filming so I hope his part wrappes up in time. I saw some Twitter posts of him at an Australian Football game.I know he will be at Dragon Con if he can.

amy223

Post by amy223 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:24 pm

Hi Marie--well, you have made my heart too, too happy! That would be infinitely wonderful, to not be on my own there. I've got a friend who has a vendor booth every year at America's Mart (whatever/wherever that is), but he'll be there doing that and I'd be left to wander the Dragon Con streets alone. I'd also kind of pulled the plug on going partly because of I don't know where to start. From the (geeky) research I've done, it looks like they give you the schedule when you get there. I like to know what's happening/when/where before I go to something huge like this. I'm only a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pantser about beach trips and story plots.

I have heard this about Jason, that he's extremely personable. It would be an honor and a half to get to meet him--he's been on my Favorite Human Beings list for awhile. I think my introversion is more like: so many people! crowds! where do I go? park? how does this work?? (I'm an overthinker, a horrible overthinker, though.)

I saw the same Twitter posts from him at the game--from my experience as a girl, you don't go to those things to watch the game, you go to admire the, um, athletic prowess. :D

Okay. Well, I have like 17 more days to decide. My daughter is going to her dad's that weekend, so I'm free. If I decide to go, it'll just be for Saturday, probably. Possibly Sunday as well, but definitely not Friday (working) or Monday (mourning the end of my 3 day weekend). I'll definitely PM you if I decide to go. Thank you SO much--this was incredibly sweet of you to offer.<3

Marie

Post by Marie » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:35 am

For parking - I hear it's horrible. All I've talked to say take Marta. You will see a schedule on line soon so you just choose what you want to see. The get in line for it early if you want to sit up front. Not so important if you don't care where you sit. Vendor area is a lot of fun. Wear super comfy shoes. Hope you decide to go! Jason is worth it!

Marie

Post by Marie » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:15 pm

Jason is scheduled to speak at 1PM Friday and 2:30PM Sat. Schedule came out today. They have a nice app.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:46 am

Hi Amy, I knew you live there and was waiting to hear if you are going. I will be there with Marie and Susan. It will be great to meet you!
Jason may even remember you from Twitter while DIG was on, you were pretty active.

If we are lucky we may get some face time like Marie and Susan did at the Megacon in May.
Marie snapped this in the hotel lounge :mrgreen:

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:05 pm

BrodieCaffee

Post by BrodieCaffee » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:49 pm

I might as well give up on ever meeting him, closest I've gotten to a celeb is a Finnish racing driver who I met in June 2009 and then June 2010... Guess there are some people who will never be lucky and guess I'm one of them...

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:45 am

Jason is traveling all over to meet fans so never give up. Your chance will come! :D :D

Updating his schedule. He won't make it to the Friday panel so it was canceled.

BrodieCaffee

Post by BrodieCaffee » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:59 pm

Not much point anyway so just gonna toss the idea to the side and forget about it... Gotta move on anyway

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:52 am

Chari910 wrote:Jason is traveling all over to meet fans so never give up. Your chance will come! :D :D

Updating his schedule. He won't make it to the Friday panel so it was canceled.

Did he make it for Saturday? :stalker

Marie

Post by Marie » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:04 pm

Yes he did! We saw his Saturday and Sunday panel. I have to leave tomorrow morning but Char and Susan will see his Monday panel. (We almost know all the stories he tells!). ;-)

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:03 pm

Return to “Conventions”