WHY do we like Michael Caffee?

Showtime brought us three seasons of this strong television drama, featuring large weekly doses of Jason Isaacs! Find articles, reviews, and viewer comments about Brotherhood--and add your own!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Moira

WHY do we like Michael Caffee?

Post by Moira » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:58 pm

Besides the obvious reason why we watch Michael Caffee, why do any of us like him?

He’s a cold-blooded killer, even of children. He doesn’t hesitate to put children in danger, either by using them to sell drugs or by selling drugs to them, unless they’re relatives. Even then, his dislike of his niece smoking pot seemed more out an over-reactive need to preserve family pride than concern for her welfare. He’ll kill his best, and only, friend, who’s he’s known since he was twelve, if that friend “messes upâ€

Foodie

Post by Foodie » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:08 pm

I know that with each episode I spent most of the time yelling at Michael in my head. How can anybody be so selfish and cruel? I know for a fact that if it wasn't for JI, I would not have continued watching the series. I don't think Michael really glorifies violence or a gangster lifestyle, which is good. There were times when Michael would do something the felt refreshingly out of character. In the first episode, he could just as easily have killed the guy he hired to kill Paddy and nobody would have known the difference. And if I recall correctly, the charity event for the struggling theatre was mostly without an ulterior motive. Michael doesn't exactly deal in black and white, does he!

There is definitely a hot-factor. I mean, the man is gorgeous, but that doesn't excuse his behavior. It does make it slightly easier to watch, though!

By the last episode, I couldn't help but hope that coming that close to death might have a good effect on him. Maybe he'd have some sort of spiritual awakening or something and decide to build up some good karma for a change. I guess only time will tell for that!

-Foodie :D

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:08 am

For me, Michael Caffee is a tortured soul. He lives in the moral "Grey Zone", where he thinks what he is doing is the right thing, for the Hill and his family. Trying to figure out why/what he does, helps to add to his appeal. If he was "Squeaky Clean" as his brother Tommy tries 2B, he would be the most boring character of the series. If you notice, MC
does not smile that much. It was mentioned above, that he could have
killed the kid he put into the trunk of the car. I honestly thought that
he would. But, he didnt. That seemed to me 2B more of a business
deal, an end to a means..I also thought the kids Mom was gonna get
whacked too. Everytime after that scene, when someone was killed, I kept thinking "but, he didnt kill the kid who killed Paddy"...silly I know..

I am anxious to see if after the ending of the first season "tames" Michael, or deepens his convictions of taking over the Hill. I think
revenge will be on his mind (so to speak), but will he remember who
did that to him?

MC and TC childhood and up bringing has alot to do with the men we
see today. I try not to think of that as good/bad, just the circumstances
in which they were raised. Opportunities had/lost. Geographics of where they were born and raised.
I think both brothers are victims...

Now, when you factor in the character is portrayed by Jason Isaacs, that adds a whole new dimension to the role. I dont think another actor would take you thru the extremes of Michael as deftly as JI does...

would I be so interested in MC if he wasnt being portrayed by Jason Isaacs? I dont know, but I like the question...Do I like the character of MC? Yes, because of the turmoil and havoc he creates. I watch every week just to see what will happen next...I attribute alot of that interest not only to the acting talents of JI and the other cast, but to the delicious writing talents of Blake Masters...

Ob$e$$ed

Post by Ob$e$$ed » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:19 am

I just love sociopaths, psychopaths, not really fussed about garden paths... Michael Caffee, Hannibal Lecter...yes please.

I admire that Michael is prepared to go to pretty much any length to achieve his ends and is troubled little by conscience. I wish I could be like that (worryingly I am probably already part way there).

I hope he doesn't mellow after his beating at the climax of season one, if anything I hope he becomes even more ruthless and single minded.
The kind of explosive, totally out of the blue violence that Michael Caffee often perpetrates is something of a turn-on coming from a man that looks like that!

(Now if he'd just ditch Kath-the-Slapper...)

lyra70

Post by lyra70 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:14 pm

Excellent post, Moira. What is interesting for me about Michael Caffee is his complete unpredictability. I actually don't think he's a sociopath, but his actions make it really close. To me what prevents him from being an actual sociopath is that he is still including his family in what is important to him, no matter how twisted his views. In-laws are not considered by him to be real family which is why he uses Jimmy, but he'll still include them in his circle of protection if needed. I wouldn't even use the word respect, but he'll tolerate them because they are married to "real" family.

He's heinous but then a moment will happen such as in episode 4 where he appears genuinely sorry about the raid on his mother's house. When she holds up the broken pieces of a beloved record he actually looks saddened. Or he is shown staring out a window without a sneer or murderous glint for once, and you don't know what he's thinking. So there is some conscience there, some struggle.

Pete has been his best friend since they were boys but Pete still isn't family. But I confess I have only watched half the series so far so can't comment on later shows. I'm basing my response on what I have seen so far, and that is, he uses everyone else for his end game, he has moments of doubt in (very few) certain instances involving certain people but for the most part is so completely self-centered that he brushes these aside.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:43 pm

Why do we like Michael Caffee? Because he's a bad boy. And bad boys are always fun to watch from the comfort and safety of your own home. They're raw and sexy and dangerous, and offer us a kind of excitement we don't normally experience on a day to day basis.

Dealing with them personally though is an entirely different matter. I imagine most of us would give the real life facsimile an extremely wide berth, unless you're cuckoo for cocoa puffs like Kath or psycho college girl.

:D

malfoygrandma

why do we like Mike

Post by malfoygrandma » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:18 am

:oops: Very nice, Gillian. Of course we are all so wise that we would never mistake that adrenalin rush of fear when the killer does not see us hiding in the closet, as my grandchildren did when their nutty step-father sought them out for their evening beating, never would us wise adult women mistake that rush for sexual attraction, now would we, darlings?

Ob$e$$ed

Post by Ob$e$$ed » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:06 pm

That whole thing can be a grey, grey area...

Moira

Re: why do we like Mike

Post by Moira » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:02 pm

malfoygrandma wrote::oops: Very nice, Gillian. Of course we are all so wise that we would never mistake that adrenalin rush of fear when the killer does not see us hiding in the closet, as my grandchildren did when their nutty step-father sought them out for their evening beating, never would us wise adult women mistake that rush for sexual attraction, now would we, darlings?
I'm not sure if I'm correctly interpreting your post, MG, but, yes, some women do mistake that adrenalin rush of fear for sexual attraction. Even love. As Ob$e$$ed said, it's a grey, grey area.

Obviously Psycho College Girl (what is that character's name?) makes that mistake. "My mother told me about guy's like you." "You should have listened to her."

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:00 am

Moira, her name is SHANNON...if I had to choose between her and Cath,
I would choose Cath...

Ob$e$$ed

Post by Ob$e$$ed » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:59 am

I definately can identify more with Shannon, I used to be like that. Maybe not a good thing to admit but I fear it's true, the words 'psycho' and 'intense' have often been used in reference to me. :oops:

I'm a calm relatively normal human being now honest. ;-)

Malfoygrandma

why, why, do we like him?

Post by Malfoygrandma » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:16 am

:roll: Because, as you say, we are or once were nutty! And that Shannon girl, what on earth is her human name and why can't I remamber it? Is she now regularly on NCIS, as love interest of one of the stars? I see that face, but can't for the life of me recall her name. Am I just too jealous? EEEEEK?

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:20 am

Susan Scott 'Scottie' Thompson is the actress who plays Shannon...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2174090/

malfoygrandma

thanks again for the assistance

Post by malfoygrandma » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:33 am

:D I have to say that though i did not like her in Bhood, I like her very much in NCIS. She is quite good, and has a nice, well-written role. I guess she will be moving up, and I hope they have written good things for her in Bhood.

Return to “Brotherhood”