308 Pictures and Discussion-GOODBYE MICHAEL

Showtime brought us three seasons of this strong television drama, featuring large weekly doses of Jason Isaacs! Find articles, reviews, and viewer comments about Brotherhood--and add your own!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:21 pm

Helen8 wrote:Exactly, Marie.
Michael killed people,
but he has a heart. Tommy doesn't kill, but there's nothing beating in his chest. Tommy loves two things: power and himself.
Tommy may not have ever been a killer, but not stopping Freddie Cork from killing whatshisface doesn't make him any more innocent.

There, I've done said it! :razz
Hey, Tommy....kiss it, DON'T DISS IT! :monkeybutt
~M'L(C) :twisted:
Rave Gyrl.....I DO NOT WANT KATH PARRY IN CORPUS :bat ......this invitation is solely for Michael. Kath can move to Austin.....with my ex. :razzlite

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:52 pm

Rave Gyrl.....I DO NOT WANT KATH PARRY IN CORPUS ......this invitation is solely for Michael. Kath can move to Austin.....with my ex.

Marilaine, don't mince words. Tell us what you really think.

RaveGyrl

Post by RaveGyrl » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:40 am

LOL, Helen8. I heard that.

I don't want Kath around any man of mine. She smells testosterone from miles away.

She looked like such a fool after her and Colin were in the diner and through the blinds of the diner when he drove off. She had that blank, clueless, needy stare that she has perfected the past two seasons.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:45 am

it's a shame, her character began as a strong woman....

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:55 pm

. . . and Michael started out as a strong man.

RaveGyrl

Post by RaveGyrl » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:25 pm

kjshd05, I have seen too many women get so engrossed in a man and just lose themselves,judgement or any perspective of their own life. You're right, kath's character was somewhat strong in the beginning.

Michael was such a intimidating, yet strong assuring presence when he came back. It was so sad to see it slowly fade away. The scene that really haunted me was when he was sitting on the floor with blood on his hands, he looked like a scared defeated man.

Kath will now have to live the rest of her life in fear. Michael disappeared and she doesn't know if or when he will appear on her doorstep, and if she will not know if he's limited the brain injury or if he really went off his rocker and still has that anger towards her.

What a way to live your life, constantly looking over your shoulder.

wolfsaver

Post by wolfsaver » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:48 pm

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that's why Colin left her in the diner-he knew they'd both always be looking over their shoulders. I never thought they had anything in common anyway, except their fear of Michael and need of attention. If only Kath and Michael had TALKED to each other!

RaveGyrl

Post by RaveGyrl » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:19 pm

It won't matter if they are together or apart, but Colin and Kath will have to live in fear. And yes, a little communication goes a long way.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:54 pm

why Colin left her in the diner

I thought it was because the sex wasn't that good.

RaveGyrl

Post by RaveGyrl » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:46 pm

Helen8, LOL.

You know he played that scenario in his head with Kath for the longest time, and it wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

He probably asked himself was a roll in the hay worth betraying his cousin who toook him on as a brother, and he got his answer loud and clear.

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:09 am

I think Colin was upset, when he asked her if she wanted to stay at the hotel, or continue traveling, she decided to travel...to me, that says she wasn't interested in him, but more of trying to get away...

as explained by Blake Masters and Henry Bromell, there were simply 2 people who didn't know each other, and without the threat of Michael,
they had nothing in common....

Also, Kath had no real plan, as to where to run to...I think eventually,
she would have returned, because of her kids...Michael knew that...

be careful what you wish for, you just might get it....they were building to this all season, and it was all for nothing...

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:14 am

kj ...the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Once they got together and away from Providence it all began to fade. What had held them together was their unhappiness with Michael and when he was, even for a short while, out of their lives the attraction faded. And yes, both will spend the rest of their lives looking over their shoulders in fear for Michael.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:02 pm

I think Colin was upset, when he asked her if she wanted to stay at the hotel, or continue traveling, she decided to travel

I saw that as Colin being relieved that she felt as let down as he did. He simply put off the leave-taking till the diner.

I still think it was the sex. The passion that was ever-present leading up to the rendevous was gone. Watch the "love" scene again. They're at the bottom of the bed. He's in a not-so-comfortable position. She's kinda looking around; not really that into it. There's no passion between them. Apres, he's just sitting there matter of factly, and she's in the bathroom fussing with her hair, while they discuss their "future"--very pedestrian. They built the whole thing up in their minds that it would be great between them, but in the end . . . not so much.

Yes, Michael was a damper, but if the sex had been great between them, nothing would have gotten in their way.

Remember, the writers don't spell out everything, but leave it to the viewers to interpret what they saw. That's my interpretation.

mariagare

Post by mariagare » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:26 am

Oh the awkward sex scene was more difficult for me to watch than the torture and the execution scenes. Although I did cringe when Michael was telling himself that he was a good person with a code.

I think it was a sort of community service announcement that few relationships can live up to that sort of build-up.

I watched all 8 episodes in one day and even though I feel somewhat brutalised, I also have this odd warm feeling as a consequence of a stream of intense stares and stubble.

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:10 am

mariagare, I watched all 8 episodes, yesterday...

it's weird, you have a different perspective, after viewing one a week...

knowing how the season ended, also helps to concentrate more on what is going on in each scene....

Return to “Brotherhood”