Recap of ep.2 Please

Showtime brought us three seasons of this strong television drama, featuring large weekly doses of Jason Isaacs! Find articles, reviews, and viewer comments about Brotherhood--and add your own!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

brotherhood26

Recap of ep.2 Please

Post by brotherhood26 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:11 pm

Can someone tell me what happened in the second episode? As detailed as possible.Thanks.

Minuet

Post by Minuet » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:22 pm

If you can wait a little while longer, I'll try to pull together an abstract of the episode for you tonight. :cool:

Minuet

Post by Minuet » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:44 pm

Title: Genesis 27:29

<i>May nations serve you
and peoples bow down to you.
Be lord over your brothers,
and may the sons of your mother bow down to you.
May those who curse you be cursed
and those who bless you be blessed.</i>

Tommy is trying to prevent the highway spur from going through the Hill, after the speaker put pressure on the Italian rep and made him reneg on his deal with Tommy. He goes to Judd Fitzgerald, a legendary power broker (Len Cariou in a wheelchair), for help. Judd tells him that he will support an alternative location (which Tommy suggests), if Tommy can persuade two other reps to allow the spur to go through their neighborhood instead. Tommy uses the snowplow contracts he finagled (and wouldn't give to Freddie) in the first episode to bribe one of them, and he uses gambling debt information that he obtained from Michael in Ep 1 to blackmail the other one into going along with it.

It also turns out that Rose has some history with Judd, but she's keeping mum, no pun intended, except to say that he lived on the hill and helped her out once.

Michael and Pete coerce a really annoying woman into selling them her liquor store at half the going rate by playing Russian Roulette with her mentally challenged brother, Slow Charlie. She reports the crime to Declan, who immediately goes to Tommy about it. Tommy plays slippery politician and all but asks Declan to make it go away, which he does by scaring the crap out of the woman. When he goes back to Tommy to tell him what he's done, Tommy throws up his hands, feigning ignorance and saying that whatever Declan did was Declan's choice.

The ear victim from the first ep confronts Michael and Pete in a parking lot, returning the rotten ear Mike gave her, but keeping the earrings, because "A girl has to dress up sometime." Michael, for some strange reason known only to the writers, goes on a date with this woman. He plans to take her out for ribeye, but she's a vegetarian. Then he takes her to a karaoke bar, because she says she likes to sing, but she proceeds to have way too much to drink, which turns her into Surly College Girl. Michael tries to be conciliatory, because he's obviously confused by her metamorphosis into a baffling bitch, but he keeps his temper, until she makes an ugly remark about his age. He leaves her (but still pays the bill) and goes home, stopping to beat the crap, no pun intended, out of two guys who are urinating on a fence in his neighborhood.

Eileen is still slipping out on Tommy and getting high as a kite, even going so far, it's implied, as snorting coke in the ladies at the Portugese Festival of the Holy Ghost, where Tommy is putting in an appearance and twisting a few arms, including the rep with the gambling problem. (There's a really funny bit about Portugal being a third rate Spain, and Spain being a 6th rate Ireland by the House speaker.)

Michael has moved into his old bedroom at Rose's house, and after he comes home from his date with Surly College Girl, he sulks in his room. Rose brings him hot chocolate, which she doesn't let him drink, before insisting he go to bed. Whereupon she tucks him in, kisses his forehead, and turns out his lights. It's either really sweet, or just plain icky. Boundaries, Rose. Boundaries.

The episode ends with the Italian rep telling Tommy that Judd had wanted the spur in the alternative neighborhood for years, but had never been able to get the two reps to budge. He congratulates Tommy on his ability to "get 'er done". Although he doesn't use that exact language. :D

How's that?

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:38 pm

Nicely done, Min.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:52 pm

That was kind of you to do that.

I didn't see Eileen do Coke...did I miss something?

The shop owner, Dina, went to see Tommy first and he usrged her to report it to Declan.

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:03 pm

I didn't see Eileen do Coke...did I miss something?
No, but I think it was implied, as Min said. It's just the way she looks at the girls, while not voicing any objections. Then the scene cuts to her and Tommy as they walk to the car. I half expected her to start sniffling or wipe her nose or something. :D

Minuet

Post by Minuet » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:52 pm

The shop owner, Dina, went to see Tommy first and he usrged her to report it to Declan.
You're right. I flipped the events. That's what I get for doing it from memory. :D

Return to “Brotherhood”