I saw it tonight (maybe some SPOILERS)

Jason Isaacs plays the lead doctor of a wellness centre, where a young executive is sent to retrieve his boss. No one seems to want to leave this wellness centre, and the young man (Dane DeHaan) discovers that nothing is like it seems at first sight.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

I saw it tonight (maybe some SPOILERS)

Post by thunder » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:59 pm

I had to see it alone, because no one had time to come with me... But it wasn't so scary. I wore a big scarf so I had something to duck down into, but I didn't really need it.

My thoughts... it's like someone had ideas for three different movies, and couldn't make up their mind, so they decided to make all three into one. It's not the best movie I have seen with Jason, although I'm not gonna complain when he's on the big screen in a role that has a lot of screen time. But that scene towards the end was downright disgusting. :gah:

Visually, it's very good. I don't regret watching it, but don't think I'll be going to see it any more times in the cinema. Will get the DVD when it comes, though (as always). :D

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Re: I saw it tonight (maybe some SPOILERS)

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:53 pm

I saw it Friday with my old pal who loves movies in general, and has a penchant for weird.
The theater was surprisingly full--it was a small one, but nearly sold out. Concur with most of your observations, Thunder--thought I would have pegged the inspiration material as sufficient for more than three... I caught a strong whiff of old Hammer Horror films as well as maybe some Roman Polanski (ick). It was visually very striking, with a really retro kind of feel.
Jason was very compelling, though I don't think the role made him work too hard. (Char, one of the linen shirts he wore looked mighty familiar!) The rest of the cast were believable, though the protagonist came across as a bargain-basement Leonardo DiCaprio, and I didn't really get the significance of his whole backstory...
I'm afraid that more than once my friend and I buried our faces in one another's shoulders and guffawed, and when the lights came up, we turned to one another and yelped, "What the fuck was that all about???"
Glad I saw it. Once will probably be sufficient though.

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:06 am

First it was like watching Wolf of Wall Street going to a spa, then it turned into a kind of Shutter Island, and in the end it was Phantom of the Opera... and some other things in between there. In the end it was like someone had changed the channel, completely different movie.

SPOILER!!!

WTH, was that final scene? That scene with the daughter is the most disgusting scene I have seen him do. :bag: But then he ripped off his face and started to wag around while being on fire. Completely hilarious! I guess we're not supposed to think about it that much. :lol

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:32 am

I remember Jason saying there was some pretty disturbing stuff in there.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:41 pm

bargain-basement Leonardo DiCaprio

I had the same reaction.

Yeah. That last scene with the daughter was so uncomfortable to watch. When the face came off, I was in shock.

First it was like watching Wolf of Wall Street going to a spa, then it turned into a kind of Shutter Island, and in the end it was Phantom of the Opera...

thunder, maybe a fourth movie was—Soylent Green—to round out the grossness.

Definitely not a repeat viewing (sorry, Box Office) and I'll wait for the DVD to end up in the $5 bin.

But as I said before, Jason looked great through 90% of the movie.

Tosca Nini

Post by Tosca Nini » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:26 pm

Bad luck for me in Portugal!
Movie only after April 6th. Postponed from opening today... :rave
Cowards :tchuh:

Got a glimpse of it dubbed in Spanish though, but it's gone, watched the first 2 min only :-(
Actually it was only the right hand side of the screen :?:

thunder

Post by thunder » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:57 pm

Oh, so sorry, Tosca.
April?! :-(

Tosca Nini

Post by Tosca Nini » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:49 pm

Well, when the man doesn't come to the mountain, the mountain goes to the man.
That's what happens when they don't release things in time! Then they complain about loss of revenue!
Not Jason, he doesn't complain.

Just finished :ninja it. Dubbed in Spanish. And I liked it. Should have been made in Spanish, or other European language
except in English. It has a European feeling about it. It's looooooong, stylish, but I'm used to these things.

My, Jason looks beautiful in white :adore :adore :adore

The trashing the movie is receiving is undeserved.

Only had to avert my eyes once. The rest I watched without any problem.

thunder

Post by thunder » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:01 am

Where there's a will, there's a way. :D

thunder

Post by thunder » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:33 pm

Today is the last day they show A Cure For Wellness in my local cinema... that didn't last long... :-(

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:01 pm

No surprise there. Alas.

Return to “A Cure For Wellness”