Star Trek Discovery discussion (Spoilers)

Jason plays Captain Lorca in this new Star Trek series, premiering on September 24. 2017.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Re: Star Trek Discovery discussion (Spoilers)

Post by thunder » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:36 pm

servalan wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:13 pm
Is next week's the last one of this series? Because I foresee one of two things - either Lorca dies, or we get a cliff hanger where we don't know whether he's dead or not.
Sorry, I saw this a couple of days back, and I forgot to reply. :oops: I think there are 15 episodes... so that's 3 more (after my calculations) :scratch

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:12 pm

From the sneek peeks looks like we get to see Jason at MU Best tonight! Bring on Leather Lorca!

Marie

Post by Marie » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:32 pm

OK saw it coming but I’m still upset! Guess if you have to go, fighting and getting killed by Michelle Yeoh is pretty awesome!

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:58 pm

The episode I've been dreading since I first heard the early description of the series was that Burnham was to become a captain. The only way for that to happen was for Georgiou and Lorca to die. Well, it was fun while it lasted. :bawl

Marie

Post by Marie » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:28 am

Helen - I've never heard she was going to become a Captain. The only reason I figured Lorca was going to die was I read in an interview that Jason said he liked doing limited run series (at least for his characters). I didn't bring it up because he never said it specific to ST. I always figured Burnham would be someone's First Officer - in this case unless something really bad happens to him - that looks to be Saru.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:25 am

Jason was clearly walking around in London while the rest were shooting episodes in Toronto... So that made it pretty obvious something was going to happen to Lorca. I think he went back at the end of theseason though. But maybe it was just to meet up with them again, I sort of had the feeling from the start that he wouldn't have comitted to this for a very long time, but I may be wrong... :scratch

I can't really see Burnham being captain so soon. She is a convict who was recruited by an imposter, who turned out to be an evil megalomaniac... She's done a lot of things to redeem herself, but to become captain... that is too soon, I think. Saru is first in line. He really stepped up in this episode as well, I think. Became the leader who the rest of the crew have faith in, and will go anywhere for. :hands

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:17 pm

Helen - I've never heard she was going to become a Captain.

In the pilot episode, when she and Georghou were walking around the planet talking philosophy, she was grooming her first officer to be a captain. From the start, the talk was that the main story line would focus around Burnham. It's more than an assumption that she would be captain soon. When Georghiou died in the first (second?) episode, that was one down, one to go.

Yes, Saru is the captain now, but I can certainly see him stepping aside in her favor. I see him as altruistic (super-Federation, Prime Directive following), and I see her as hands-down, no holds barred, kill 'em before they kill you kind of captain.

For me, the bottom line is farewell, Lorca, . . . broadsword straight through the back and out the chest and "emulsified" through the trapdoor . . . there's no coming back from that. Can't remember how Prime Lorca died, but one can hold out hope that he could, might, maybe return? : point

EDIT..........................................................................................................................................................................

Just read his latest tweet, in response to someone who wrote: "Is anyone ever dead dead in Star Trek?"

Yes yes. Me me. I've kicked the bucket, I've shuffled off my mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible. I. Am. An. Ex. Captain.

Captain's costume for sale. Size XS. Fits bloody nobody.

Love the Python Parrot Sketch reference. :hands

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:19 pm

Okay. Just got this article, where he discusses Prime Lorca . . . a bit. Also, great stuff about battling with Michelle Yeoh.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/star-trek- ... pisode-13/

servalan

Post by servalan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:17 am

Jason says this version of Lorca is dead. :-(

But

He fell into the mycelial network (or whatever that thing is called). People seem to live in another way in there.

Plus didn't you all see that little star thing that seemed to enter Tilly? Perhaps that's some form of Lorca?

Marie

Post by Marie » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:01 am

I'd say there is plenty of room for a return for Prime Lorca. Who knows perhaps its already in the cards. It's all up to the CBS powers that be - and Jason!

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:09 pm

Plus didn't you all see that little star thing that seemed to enter Tilly? Perhaps that's some form of Lorca?

I didn't notice that. Must go back and watch it. Again. Servalan, I'll take any form of Lorca I can get.

BrodieCaffee

Post by BrodieCaffee » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:55 pm

servalan

Post by servalan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:41 am

Nice interview. I love the way Jason is always ready to praise his fellow actors whenever he feels they deserve it. I think Michelle Yeoh is great too.

(We know Jason thinks some actors are a waste of space, but wisely he never says who!)

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:29 pm

Servalan, I rewatched "Past Is Prologue" again and saw the tiny ball of light that entered Tilly. Turns out I had seen it the first time I watched but forgot about it. I also rewatched the After Trek and the writer corrected himself soon after Jason signed off on Skype, saying, "now that Jason is off the show, um, off of After Trek . . ."

I'm wondering if that was a slip up on the writer's part that Jason/Lorca isn't completely off the show. A girl can dream, can't she?

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:54 pm

Just got this. Jason talks a bit about the Lorcas:

http://sciencefiction.cbit om/2018/01/31/jason-isaacs-reveals-piece-lorcas-backstory/

Return to “Star Trek: Discovery”