Star Trek Discovery discussion (Spoilers)

Jason plays Captain Lorca in this new Star Trek series, premiering on September 24. 2017.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Re: Star Trek Discovery discussion (Spoilers)

Post by thunder » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:44 pm

Helen8 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:56 am
Ripper stole my heart, I think...
A face (and body) only a mother could love. :shock:
I think he's cute. And beauty comes from the heart...

Just watched the trailer for the next episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PgltWGSjKQ

Find the Clockwork Orange reference. (Not the eyes!!!! :shock:)

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:28 pm

I think he's cute. And beauty comes from the heart...

Okay. Shame me. :oops:

Find the Clockwork Orange reference.

I pitied poor Malcolm McDowell in that scene. I cringe when I see stuff like this.

servalan

Post by servalan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:45 pm

I have finally signed up for my free Netflix month, and watched the 4 Star Trek episodes. It definitely improved once they were on board Discovery and our Capt Lorca was on screen. He's an interesting character - and I see his love interest got herself killed, so that romance is over! Is it going to be like Game of Thrones, with lots of deaths of key characters? (I've never seen GoT, but have read about it.)

I'm not keen on the new look Klingons. They are so different from any that have gone before, and then if you factor in the almost-human version in TOS, there is no continuity there at all. I did like the Tribble, as spotted by others above.

(Now I am going to watch The Crown.)

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:19 am

Very happy that the tardigrade Ripper was saved! I have to agree on being not so keen on the Klingons new look - but not because of the difference in appearance. I feel like it is so hard for the actors to show emotions under all that foam and silicon. And as two of the actors portraying Klingons said - it's hot - very hot.

Felt a bit sorry for Capt. Lorca - that eye opening torture device made me cringe.

Harry Mudd does not look very happy with Capt. Lorca.

That last scene with the duplicate in the mirror was very creepy - but we had already heard we were getting some mirrorverse!

Can't wait to see next weeks. Love the Disco shirts - thought that was very cute (short for Discovery of course!)

thunder

Post by thunder » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:20 am

I'm happy too, that Ripper doesn't have to suffer anymore.

Since I haven't really been into Star Trek before, I have no strong opinions about the klingons, and how they should be. So here comes the newbie opinion: In the first episodes, I got a bit bored with the Klingon scenes. because I can't really connect with he characters since their emotions are hidden inside all that prosthetic make-up. I understand they try to humanize them, but I find it hard to sympathize with them. When the emotions doesn't come across that strongly either. So far, Klingon culture doesn't really seem fascinating to me. I don't see whats supposed to be so interesting about them. Is it just me, but don't they speak incredibly slowly? The Klingon scenes in this episode was a fine, but that was because they were interacting with the Federation. Klingon/Klingon scenes, I find to be quite boring so far. Sorry... :oops:

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:24 am

My favorite part of the ep. was Saru. What a clever character the writers came up with. When they first described him as being from a prey-predator planet (um. Earthlike) with him being prey, I asked myself why? This ep. explained it beautifully. As prey, he was able to recognize that the Klingon shuttle that was being fired upon was not the one carrying Lorca, but the shuttle at the front was. That was genius. And once again, Star Trek breaks new ground.

Also, loved the Mudd double-cross. Didn't sere that coming.

Marie, I agree about the duplicate. So. There's a side effect to this split-second travel around the universe. I wonder if there's another Tardigrade lurking in a mirror somewhere . . . one not so cute with beauty from the heart.

Favorite ep. thus far . . . minus the eye-stretchinIg part.

thunder, for me, reading subtitles is distracting, which slows things down. Maybe that's why it seems uninteresting/boring to you. Being a Trekker, I know that Klingons become our allies, joining the Federation, and serve on its starships. What is interesting here is seeing how that all came about.

thunder

Post by thunder » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:57 pm

Helen, I liked the bit about Saru too. How he used his Kelpian skills to determine that it was Lorca. And in the beginning of the episode, he asked the computer about the other captains, Then the episode ended with him being the best captain he could be when he used his own skills, and didn't try to imitate any other of the greatest captains.
Helen8 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:24 am
thunder, for me, reading subtitles is distracting, which slows things down. Maybe that's why it seems uninteresting/boring to you. Being a Trekker, I know that Klingons become our allies, joining the Federation, and serve on its starships. What is interesting here is seeing how that all came about.
Yes, but I'm Norwegian, and reading subtitles is how I watch movies (Although I understand English well enough to watch movies in English without subtitles...) I can watch movies in any language as long as there are subtitles, and I don't even notice that the subtitles are there. It's like I understand Klingon. :mrgreen:

It's probably that I don't have any opinion about the Klingons before this, so to me so far, they have just been a bunch of slow-talking meanies. But that can change, of course. Maybe they'll grow on me.

I just read a theory that Tyler might be that other Klingon that was an outcast or something, and he's going undercover on The Discovery... I have no idea, it could have been anyone under that mask. It could be interesting, though. Him learning about the Federation, and being the one that brings them together... We'll see. :D

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:54 pm

It's like I understand Klingon.

I've been watching Star Trek since I was a teenager, and I don't understand a word of Klingon. Guess I don't have an ear for languages.

Found this write-up of last night's ep.:

https://www.space.com/38477-star-trek-d ... ience.html

servalan

Post by servalan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:39 am

I like Saru too. He's a very interesting character. It's nice to see a new species - but it then makes one ask: why aren't there any of his species in the later ST universe?

I loved that interview where the Saru actor showed the boots he has to wear to create the height and the walk. The walk reminds me of Joanna Lumley demonstrating walking like a model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEC-hht8A30

The demo starts at around 4:32

Marie

Post by Marie » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:16 am

What a good episode last night. Lorca got some bed time with psychoanalysis thrown in. Then at the end when the Admiral gets captured and he does not run after her to save her --- well shouldn't say you will take his ship away.

Besides if the Capt needs that kind of help - the scientist guy is way beyond help! :shock: But I adore him and Tilly!

I definitely want a DISCO shirt!

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:51 am

Well. No shortage of women willing to jump into bed with this captain either. Jean Luc was a monk by comparison to the first and the last captains.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:46 pm

NY Times review of ep. 6. Not very positive. Good things to say about Lorca, though.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/22/arts ... ion=latest

Marie

Post by Marie » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:35 pm

It was hysterical what the article said about the Admiral. I like the new Stamets!

servalan

Post by servalan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:48 pm

Lorca is certainly behaving like Kirk with the women - but Kirk restricted himself to alien women in skimpy clothing, not high-flying admirals or members of his own crew.

They are rather rewriting history with respect to the Vulcans' attitude to humans, but it's not completely implausible.

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:02 pm

I wasn't sure where to put this, but it seems like it could be sort of spoiler-y. Lorca seems like he's a complicated guy. *waggles eyebrows* Complicated guys are interesting fictional characters - let's hope they don't drop the ball on his story.

http://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2017/10/2 ... niverse/#4

Return to “Star Trek: Discovery”