Scene from the movie

A thriller about a lonely teenage girl who confides in her mirror, and swaps places with her evil reflection. Jason plays her distant father.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Scene from the movie

Post by thunder » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:51 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVX85Kxj4zg

"A disturbing exchange".

Very fitting title. Daughter has low self esteem, and dad wants to fix it through plastic surgery. :uhoh

Good performances by both. :hands But I have a feeling this is no feel-good film. :lol

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Re: Scene from the movie

Post by Helen8 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:09 pm

The daughter is beautiful to begin with!!! It's like, I don't like the color of my house, so I tear it down and build a new one. :shock: Of course it's his profession, but he needs to step back and look at the psychology of what he's saying/doing. All physicians take psychology courses.

Well, this sends the wrong message to girls with low self-esteem. Argh!

thunder

Post by thunder » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:02 pm

Based on the feeling I got from the trailer, I suspect the dad is going to regret those words...

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:38 pm

I can't imagine that his character is going to make it out alive.

thunder

Post by thunder » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:13 am

Me too, I think the dad is going to pay in a bad way. With the clip from one of the interviews yesterday, it looks like the movie focus a bit on the dad-daughter relationship...

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:31 am

I cried at that scene. I felt like she was me. Not that my Dad was a Plastic Surgeon but that my ears are not symmetrical and my nose was broken by a fall as a four year old. I always felt self conscious growing up. That an adult would say that to a teen would destroy her self esteem.

Jason really plays those parts so well. And if you ask him he would tell you his character honestly wanted to help her - he was not doing anything "evil". But of course his helpful offer does the opposite of what is intended.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:59 pm

Marie!? You are one of the most well-adjusted people that I know. You're strong, you stick up for yourself, you're aggressive when necessary. Apparently, you worked through all the self-consciousness beautifully. Way to go!! :hug

Marie

Post by Marie » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:35 am

LOL Helen - well the broken nose got fixed twice. Severely deviated septum - it deviated again after the first surgery - so about 40 years after it first broke - it finally got fixed (the septum part - the nose is still a tad crooked but hey at least it works.)
The ears - well you see in every picture of me - my hair covers my ears. So I'd say I'm still self conscious about it. When a surgeon described what they would do to fix the ears - I decided that hiding them was a better course of action (and a whole lot cheaper!) My ears are also a little pointed - so it really got me in the gut when Jason's character talked about taking the point down to a curve. (That's when I cried!)

So stupid I know but I still remember being an awkward self-conscious kid. Being with my friends and really nice celebs like Jason does help me a lot - but stick me in a crowd with no one I know and I'm a hot mess. But I do work on anxiousness every day!

thunder

Post by thunder » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:14 am

:hug

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:28 pm

But I do work on anxiousness every day!

You're in the wrong field. You should have gone into acting because I've never seen one second of what you describe! I wear my insecurities on every inch of my body. :huh

Marie

Post by Marie » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:41 am

Thanks for the kind words Helen but I have a feeling I’d be on a corner begging for money if I had to make a living acting. Plus the idea of getting up in front of strangers to act would probably make me sick. :gah:

It a good thing there are people like Jason and Sonequa (amoung a long list of talented people) that really enjoy the profession.

Marie

Post by Marie » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:43 am

You asked a question of Jason from the audience this last time - so you see it gets easier the more you do it. I can’t imagine you doing that when I first met you!! So we all grow (and are somehow able to hide our insecurities!). :D

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:54 pm

You asked a question of Jason from the audience this last time - so you see it gets easier the more you do it.

Um. When the podcast comes out, you'll hear just how not well I did. I was so nervous, I said the opposite of what I meant. :bang I finally spit out the correct word, but the embarrassment had set in. I spent the time Jason answered the question berating myself for the mistake. I had said the question over and over again beforehand until I thought I'd had it memorized. :hit Um. Nope. But, thanks anyway, Marie. Maybe I'll have better luck next time.

Marie

Post by Marie » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:23 am

A first step :hug

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:40 am

The one time I was at his panel, I had a question, but I chickened out of asking it. Rationalized it by me being too old to fight the teen agers for the microphone. :lol

All cred to you daring to ask your question, Helen. :hands

Return to “Look Away”